PDA

View Full Version : CarveWright Developments and Scanning Probe Update

cmorlier
09-28-2006, 04:52 PM
Dear CarveWright Customers and Forum Members,

We have been receiving increasing questions about the future plans for the CarveWright line of products and would like to take a minute to pass on several exciting recent developments. First off, I would like to thank all of our initial customers for your input. We have leaned heavily on that input and your experience to mature and polish the product. While there is still much functionality that can be added to this highly versatile machine, we firmly believe that this product will have a significant impact on the woodworking and crafts markets. Your help has brought, and continues to bring us closer to this goal.

As many of you have recently seen and heard, we will be marketing the machine and accessories through Sears under the CompuCarve brand by the end of this year. Getting the machine into large retailers has always been our goal and this is one of the first steps. This is a great opportunity for us to increase the user community which allows us to dedicate more resources to further software and accessory development.

We will continue to direct market the CarveWright through our website. The price structure will be somewhat different because we wil sell the machine with a base software package and the full software package separately (as opposed to all together like we do currently). The machine hardware sold in Sears will be the same hardware that we sell directly (with small cosmetic differences). We realize that good service and software support are critical to our customers and to the success of this product. As such, we will be keeping the service and support functions under our roof to best service all of our customers.

On another front, the wait for the scanning probe is finally coming to an end. It is currently in route to our warehouse. Once we receive them we will be sending out a note letting you know. We can ship them the very same day of the order. The probe and scan manipulation software will be priced at $299.99. We know that you are going to really enjoy this functionality and we thank you for your patience on this.

Thank you again for your outstanding input and support in launching this
exciting machine.

Regards,
Chris Lovchik, CEO
LHR Technologies
www.carvewright.com

pkunk
09-28-2006, 06:32 PM
This is truely good news - as expected of the Carvewright™ team!
Question: will the scanner/software work with the Mac version?

Randy in Minn
09-30-2006, 08:39 PM
Everyone has been talking about the SCANNER. WHat is this and what will it do for me? Does it hook to the PC or the carvewrite? Scans pictures or objects?

BobHill
10-01-2006, 12:04 PM
Randy,

It's an accessory attachment to your CW, where instead of a bit to carve you put in the device and the software that comes with it programes it to move like a carving bit, but instead records the moves into a file which can then be used to make reproductions of what was copied. That's the way I see it as explained to date, anyway.

Bob hill
Tampa Florida

Aaron B
10-02-2006, 09:09 PM
Randy,

It's an accessory attachment to your CW, where instead of a bit to carve you put in the device and the software that comes with it programes it to move like a carving bit, but instead records the moves into a file which can then be used to make reproductions of what was copied. That's the way I see it as explained to date, anyway.

Bob hill
Tampa Florida

I could be missing something, but I am not following. You scan something in? a picture? Then the software reads it and makes it carve? Thanks

BobHill
10-02-2006, 09:39 PM
Aaron,

It's not a photographic type scanner, it's a device that "traces" the outline of an existing work piece on your belt (suitably secured, I'm sure) and the pointer (replacing a carving bit, but of equal size) will "trace" physically this piece and record the pointer bit position digitally so when you wish to carve a duplicate, it can do so. How much more than that that it'll do is up to how they design the software, I'm sure.

Bob

RobertP
10-02-2006, 11:51 PM
I actually got to see this scanner in action last Febuary at a woodworking show here in KC. It will scan any pice of work that you want to reproduce, the head will actually bob up and down until the tip of the pin reaches the surface, just as it currently works when cutting a project. it then records this height and position on the piece on the software until a complete 2d image is made of the work. Its really neat and I cannot wait to get my hands on it, I have alot of old plaster work and mouldings out of old theatres that I want to re-produce.

Greybeard
10-03-2006, 02:16 AM
As I intend to work on a small scale, can you indicate what the scanning resolution will be ?

Will this also be available for UK customers when that happy day dawns that there is a 240v machine ? :)
John

BobHill
10-03-2006, 08:01 AM
John,

I believe the scanner works on the same scale and principle as the carving bit in that the belt would travel in Draft mode at 0.010" per half cycle, Normal mode at 0.008" and Best mode at 0.005" and the travel is 8bit (256steps in depth), but I'm guessing on the depth except I would think it would match the carving depth steps.

Bob

Aaron B
10-03-2006, 11:11 AM
Aaron,

It's not a photographic type scanner, it's a device that "traces" the outline of an existing work piece on your belt (suitably secured, I'm sure) and the pointer (replacing a carving bit, but of equal size) will "trace" physically this piece and record the pointer bit position digitally so when you wish to carve a duplicate, it can do so. How much more than that that it'll do is up to how they design the software, I'm sure.

Bob

Thanks Bob, that made it much clearer. You're right it sounds like you would need to place it on a backer board to get it to trace the piece instead of just putting it on the belts, if thats what you meant mby "suitably secured". Just me guessing.

Greybeard
10-03-2006, 11:28 AM
Hi Bob - yes, the same resolution would be most likely now I think about it a little more. Otherwise the software would be hampered by a lower res input.
Luckily, the sun is now over the yardarm here in sunny Norfolk, so I'll hide my embarrassment with a swift g+t. :oops:

John

BobHill
10-03-2006, 12:55 PM
I know that "carriers" are a boon to the CW, Aaron, and I use them all the time (well, often anyway) when carving smaller than minimum limits etc. And I can see where items might well fall into that category, ourside of fancy molding trims, but even some of them if less than minimum width, of course.

And, John, how far away from HMS Victory are you? That's also on my agenda, if I haven't already said so yet<g>.

Bob

Greybeard
10-03-2006, 02:57 PM
While we're about 200miles away, there is the small problem of London being in the way !

If it had been Nelson, rather than his ship, we're only about 8miles from his birthplace, which is handy for me to celebrate my birthday - Trafalgar Day ! :D

John

BobHill
10-03-2006, 08:48 PM
Now that is a very illustrious birthday, for sure<g>. The good Admiral Lord Horatio was indeed one to look up to and greatly admire.

Bob

nicobie
10-21-2006, 07:59 PM
I was going to buy one of the scanners for my 8 month old machine, however the machine still doesn't work (over 15 calls) 2 returns and 6 times they sent me parts, well over 25 hours of my time trying to be a good beta customer, so I think I won't buy the scanner.

BTW did you know that if you post anything other than glowing stuff like Bob does your posts will be deleted?

djochim
10-22-2006, 05:22 PM
Nicobie,
As always our promise to you as an introductory customer has been to fix your machine whatever the problem or cost to us. We apologize for the difficulties that you have encountered thus far. We are available five days a week by phone and usually seven days a week on e-mail. We literally work around the clock trying to put out the best products possible.

As for deleting posts we have never, and will never, delete posts that are unfavorable to us. We stand behind our product and encourage discussion and opinion, even if it is not favorable. Our only policy is that personal attacks will be removed and obviously obscene or off topic material is also removed. Also, some of our users delete posts from time to time for reasons that are rarely made known to us, as is their prerogative. We discourage this as well because it confuses the context of the remaining posts in the thread.

We promise to do everything in our power to make you happy.

Regards,
David

nicobie
10-22-2006, 07:38 PM
Thank you David. You must be the only person at CW that I haven't talked to yet.

I'll take back what I said about CW deleting posts. I found the one I was thinking was whacked.

I sure hope you people can resolve all my problems before my warranty expires or my hour meter runs out.

However, expect to hear from me either way. 8)

Cheers

nic

djochim
10-25-2006, 04:39 PM
Nic,
I am sure that I have talked to you on some occasion either by phone or e-mail :). We are still a very small company. Please do not worry about the warranty on your machine, we are going to attempt to keep you running and happy. We want to keep all of our original customers involved for a long time helping our products grow. The input from all of our customers (both good, bad and indifferent) continues to shape the product and for that we are greatly appreciative. We expect to hear from you from time to time even when you don't have issues. :D
Regards,
David

djochim
10-25-2006, 04:39 PM
Nic,
I am sure that I have talked to you on some occasion either by phone or e-mail :). We are still a very small company. Please do not worry about the warranty on your machine, we are going to attempt to keep you running and happy. We want to keep all of our original customers involved for a long time helping our products grow. The input from all of our customers (both good, bad and indifferent) continues to shape the product and for that we are greatly appreciative. We expect to hear from you from time to time even when you don't have issues. :D
Regards,
David

Kurtsara
11-14-2006, 05:21 AM
Do know when you will sell to the customers that want to buy from you and not from Sears?

jblues71
12-07-2006, 11:51 PM
Im am still looking for the scanner it does not seem to be for sale anywhere. anyhelp would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Shawn Gillies
12-08-2006, 12:43 AM
jblues, i bought mine direct from CarveWright and it cost $299.00 USD

Hope that helps....

S.G

Dennik
01-17-2007, 09:29 AM
Hey David, any news about the development of a 3D carving module? As i read you've made the extra connections with that future development in mind.
Is it in your schedule at all at this point?

Unregistered
04-19-2007, 07:46 PM
How do iliminate so much boarder around my workpiece?

Unregistered
04-19-2007, 07:57 PM
How do iliminate so much boarder around my workpiece?

Charles M
04-20-2007, 07:00 AM
I didn't think you could post until registered. Hmmm.....

BtBldr
04-21-2007, 12:29 PM
Only place to say hello after lurking for some time.

Greybeard
04-21-2007, 01:12 PM
I didn't think you could post until registered. Hmmm.....

An odd loophole that by now should be plugged ;)

John

upcedar
04-21-2007, 08:34 PM
I been trying to post for 6 months now and I findly found a back-door, I re-registered 8 times, lot's of 'mid-night oil' - mods :cool: I'll post at Jon's site, see if it takes an image. Best Rick

nope: fatal error-call: c/w support

pkunk
04-21-2007, 08:50 PM
I been trying to post for 6 months now and I findly found a back-door, I re-registered 8 times, lot's of 'mid-night oil' - mods :cool: I'll post at Jon's site, see if it takes an image. Best Rick

nope: fatal error-call: c/w support
Most of the people that've had problems registering have found that if they delete all their CW cookies then the problems go away. Not saying exactly what your 'problem' is I can't help.