PDA

View Full Version : Non-Pattern Objects????

hardly
03-31-2010, 10:56 AM
I'm trying to make a pattern so as a trial for learning I went simple and just used a rectangle with a depth profile and some text inside the rectangle. But, when I click the Make Pattern icon at the top of the screen I get an error message stating the group I'm using contains non-pattern objects. I've searched the designer manual and can find nothing on non-standard objects.

So what are non-standard objects? Can not any of the Designer, V1.162, drawing tools be used to make a pattern?

On the flip side what objects can be used to make a pattern?

Thanks for any help that sheds light on this apparently undocumented feature.

Terry

Router-Jim
03-31-2010, 11:09 AM
Excellent question. I've had my machine over 3 years and I'd like to hear the answer.

I created a nice feather using vector lines and got the same error message.

Near as I can tell it seems that the lines have to be connected to make a pattern. (Shrugs shoulders and throws hands in the air.)

bjbethke
03-31-2010, 11:45 AM
I'm trying to make a pattern so as a trial for learning I went simple and just used a rectangle with a depth profile and some text inside the rectangle. But, when I click the Make Pattern icon at the top of the screen I get an error message stating the group I'm using contains non-pattern objects. I've searched the designer manual and can find nothing on non-standard objects.

So what are non-standard objects? Can not any of the Designer, V1.162, drawing tools be used to make a pattern?

On the flip side what objects can be used to make a pattern?

Thanks for any help that sheds light on this apparently undocumented feature.

Terry
Patterns are raster images, the reason you got that message was you had a vector image. the rectangle you made in the MPC.

The rectangle is not a pattern.

Kenm810
03-31-2010, 12:32 PM
You Can draw a any shape you want in a graphics program,
do a snap shot of it and enter it into Designer as a new pattern
which will make it a Raster carving that you can add to any craving project
with text or other pattern elements.

In the sample pattern I just did,
the Circle and Rectangle went simply drawn in MS Word.

Router-Jim
03-31-2010, 12:49 PM
Thanks Ken for pointing that out. I had done that a long time ago and had completely forgot about that method. :cool:

Jim

dbfletcher
03-31-2010, 01:38 PM
I didn't read this in any of the answers so here is my two cents.

When I download a project mpc from this board, it is usually because either I like the project as a whole or I like the pattern attached to it.

If you bring the mpc in and load it into designer then hit the "make pattern" button it will add all of the patterns associated with that mpc into your pattern list (which ever folder is your dominant folder) and creat a folder with all of them in it. The new folder will be a sub-folder of the main pattern folder and will be called the same name as the original project. This also helps me identify who, or at least where I got the file from.

Hope this helps as well.

Nope.. the funcionality you are refering to is "extract pattern". Make pattern has an entirely different use. I dont know all the in and out of it.. but I have used make pattern in the past to take two (or more) seperate patterns and merge them in to a entirely new pattern that combines the selected individual patterns.

Doug Fletcher

will george
03-31-2010, 01:49 PM
the group I'm using contains non-pattern objects..

I see this sometimes.. I 'think' it is because I have rectangles etc. with no depth to carve. I use them as guide lines for positioning the craving. All carve OK if I just ignore the warning..

robbrigg2
03-31-2010, 02:10 PM
Nope.. the funcionality you are refering to is "extract pattern". Make pattern has an entirely different use. I dont know all the in and out of it.. but I have used make pattern in the past to take two (or more) seperate patterns and merge them in to a entirely new pattern that combines the selected individual patterns.

Doug Fletcher

Dohhh... your right... my bad... Let me delete that...

Digitalwoodshop
03-31-2010, 03:04 PM
As for the Feather that could not be converted... I have a board that I store all the non patterns on and copy and paste them when needed.....

AL

Metalhead781
04-02-2010, 10:38 PM
As for the Feather that could not be converted... I have a board that I store all the non patterns on and copy and paste them when needed.....

AL

I do the same accept it's not one board it's an itemized batch of files