PDA

View Full Version : Anybody love the QC, not even thinking about the rock?

Sshanks
03-31-2010, 02:57 AM
So I have read all about the rock and the wonders it works.... Is there anyone on the forum who has put in serious hours happy with the QC? It seems as if I may be one of the lucky ones and got a decent QC, but is is a little early in the game to tell....
any thoughts?

liquidguitars
03-31-2010, 03:37 AM
but is is a little early in the game to tell....

You think? :)

CarverJerry
03-31-2010, 05:13 AM
It's just a matter of time when the QC will shake your machine apart and then you'll wonder why you waited till it's too late. Call it preventitive maintenance. I rest my case. 8)

spalted
03-31-2010, 05:58 AM
My QC does not vibrate and runs smooth with a cool flex shaft, but (there seems to always be a but with QC)

I still think I have a small amount of lateral run out. My QC works as good as it can I think. That said, I still plan to order a Rock Chuck as soon as I can. I'm convinced I can get better carve quality.

Just my 2 cents worth, don't spend it all in one place.

brdad
03-31-2010, 06:47 AM
Up until a few weeks ago, I was happy with my QC too. It carved well, I never got bits stuck very hard in it, it never came apart or came loose. It worked as it was supposed to. My machine had minimal vibration, my flex shaft never got very warm, only warm enough to tell there was some warmth. It produced good carvings, though I did not see much difference between best and optimal settings. I really felt no reason to consider any alternative chucks. The QC is great concept, it makes the bit changes quick and easy. Perhaps the biggest weakness with the QC is the fact it is not easily removable (At least mine was not) to be cleaned and inspected.

The last two carves I did with the QC were slightly more noisy, but otherwise uneventful. There was still not much vibration. But after inspecting the QC that last day, I could see there was some looseness in the bit. I didn't measure it, but it was noticeable, I would guess 1/32 inch. I installed a bit with a good adapter and was seeing the same looseness, so I knew it was more than the adapter itself. I brushed, sprayed, and oiled the QC with no change. I had to check the odometer to be sure, I have never checked it. 59 hours 2 minutes. I was not going to wait for the QC to explode before doing something about it.

On the flip side I have done 3 carves so far with my Rock Chuck. Since this thread is not about that, I will just say it is quieter, slightly less vibration, flex shaft is slightly cooler, and carves much better in the optimal setting than the QC I was perfectly happy with for 60 hours.

The main thing is as with many machines as well as any chuck installed in the CW - if it is working for you, great. But as soon as these critical parts start to fail, do something about it before it progresses and ruins other items.

dbfletcher
03-31-2010, 07:33 AM
My take one this is...

LHR considers the QC a consumable part.... meaning they expect it the wear out/fail. We have all read the stories of some QC last less than 10 hours.

The Rock on the other hand will mostly likely outlive you CW/CC.

As far as I am concered, the rock is a win/win for everyone. The CW/CC seems to run much better with the rock.. which then makes the owners much happier.

Doug Fletcher

mtylerfl
03-31-2010, 08:39 AM
So I have read all about the rock and the wonders it works.... Is there anyone on the forum who has put in serious hours happy with the QC? It seems as if I may be one of the lucky ones and got a decent QC, but is is a little early in the game to tell....
any thoughts?

Hello,

I have had extremely good success using the stock QC on both my machines these past three years. Careful attention to bit adapter seating and cleanliness of the inner part of the chuck are key. The vast majority of folks I have talked to personally about any problems they have had with the QC are tied to user error (nobody likes to hear that, but it's the truth).

I think if there is any 'weak link' for the QC, it is that the user only has to mess up just one time (mainly due to incorrect bit adapter seating), and it is possible to cause damage to the QC as well as break a bit, etc. Unfortunately, it often occurs during a new user's very first project(s) and they are unaware that they caused any damage. Over a short time, the problem just gets worse and they usually become frustrated and a little angry, ending up cursing the QC.;)

I finally did need to replace both QC's on my machines...one wore out from normal wear and tear, the other was trashed when I placed a bit into the QC that was improperly mounted in the adapter from the factory - the bit was sticking out way too far, caused excessive run out, damaging the adapter and the QC - otherwise, I might still be using that one!

Having said all that, we are all interested in a fool-proof method for mounting our bits. A 'non-quick mount' is the logical answer, and will go a long way to eliminate user-error as well as simply giving us all a more 'solid' alternative. The Rock is a good example of an alternative to the QC and a lot of folks report good results using it.

Here's a little 'secret'...I have been using and testing the new spindle upgrade from CarveWright on one of my machines and it is downright awesome! It posesses significant benefits over 'non-factory authorized' alternatives which will be revealed very soon. Keep a lookout for a future Tips & Tricks with all the details! (That's all I can say at this time.)

liquidguitars
03-31-2010, 11:24 AM
I have had extremely good success using the stock QC on both my machines these past three years. Careful attention to bit adapter seating and cleanliness of the inner part of the chuck are key.

Not realy.. Just so we are on the same page, MT states for the three years he used clear pine for his tests and projects. Not a very hard wood it's more like carving balsa.
So what about the rest of using using hard wood like maple or oak?

LG

mark1945
03-31-2010, 11:40 AM
I had 1 QC that worked great for almost 125 hours. I have also had a couple that did not even make 30 hours.Since i have converted to the Eliminator chuck on 2 of my machines and the Muscle Chuck on the other I have put on more than 400 hours with them and still are as good as the day I installed them.Also carving is much noticably better and machine runs cooler and quieter,then it ever did with QC All 3 machines running at the same time is still not as loud as 1 with QC.Vibration is just about eliminated.If I ever get another machine QC will come off before I ever plug it in. I also mostly carve in walnut ,Jatoba ,Sycamore, Cedar, and Pecan.Do some in soft pine but not much .

oldjoe
03-31-2010, 11:54 AM
So far I have good luck with the QC's but I never do cut out but I do carve hard maple and oak. I don't use the machine enough to justify the added expense of a Rock Chuck. I do keep it clean and oiled and I have over 130 hours before I had to replace it. I guess it depends on how much and what you do on your machine to determine which is the best way to go.

Icutone2
03-31-2010, 12:11 PM
I agree with Mark, loosing the QC was the best thing that I did to make the machines quieter and run cooler!
Lee

liquidguitars
03-31-2010, 12:24 PM
I just got off the phone with a nice guy that has a casting foundry, his machinist would like to add a Carvewright to his shop he asked me if its a good tool to own, I said hell yes it one of my best tools, however i told him to remove the CQ and replace it with a ROCK before starting anything and use some basic sled and cad cam layouts to insure success, some how I think he will be ordering a CW soon regardless of replacing the QC to a Rock.

LG

PCW
03-31-2010, 01:06 PM
LG,

That's what I LOVE about you. You don't whitewash nothing and you tell it like it is. Way to go.:D

Router-Jim
03-31-2010, 01:18 PM
I think the QC is great when it is new. The problem is that it gradually deterioates and you don't even notice it. Pretty soon it has caused the flex shaft, adapters, and other parts to prematurely wear. :mad:

I changed to the Rock and immediately noticed a reduction in noise and vibrations.

mark1945
03-31-2010, 01:48 PM
Another thing I have noticed since getting rid of QC is my other problems have virtually disappeared.Had several ztruck bearings go out while running QC havent replaced 1 since changing to Muscle chuck .Also went thru 3 power supplys breaking resistor from vibiration none since.

Digitalwoodshop
03-31-2010, 02:47 PM
Mark,

Tell us about the other chucks? Did the guy with the Eliminator Chuck many any with CW Threads? Last I knew he wanted a Sure thing in sales before making them...

AL

Sshanks
03-31-2010, 04:05 PM
sounds like I need to put in an order for a rock soon!! Thanks all.

mark1945
03-31-2010, 09:17 PM
Al,
The chucks are available .I have some in stock,i am going to distribute them for him.I posted some pictures of them a few days ago.It is a new design screws right on Z spindle. The man who is making them made the Eliminator chucks for years,but has now come out with his own chuck.It has a new lock mechanism no wedge to damage the adapter like the other chucks have. I also have the 1/2-1/4 adapters.He also makes these chucks for several brands of routers.As soon as he gets me all the specs on them I will put the info on my web site.Should be a week or two.I have been running 1 for quite awhile and it seems to be bullet proof,actually just a tad shorter then the old QC and alot lighter .

hess
03-31-2010, 10:19 PM
Al,
The chucks are available .I have some in stock,i am going to distribute them for him.I posted some pictures of them a few days ago.It is a new design screws right on Z spindle. The man who is making them made the Eliminator chucks for years,but has now come out with his own chuck.It has a new lock mechanism no wedge to damage the adapter like the other chucks have. I also have the 1/2-1/4 adapters.He also makes these chucks for several brands of routers.As soon as he gets me all the specs on them I will put the info on my web site.Should be a week or two.I have been running 1 for quite awhile and it seems to be bullet proof,actually just a tad shorter then the old QC and alot lighter .

Have to speak up here. These chucks are good !! I run the Rock and the MC and like them both. They both are made well and the only thing may be the MC might be just a tad shorter. But it is more than likely my old eyes. Cant/will not say anything but about ether. Will say those that are running a QC need to get one of the aftermarket chucks and enjoy what these unit can do, when they don't have all the breakage.

I think CW should have gotten with Ron or John and used their plan and saved about a year on things. Still is good to know that they are changing but was slow coming but as lest they are no Toyota's:rolleyes:

rcdages
03-31-2010, 10:43 PM
Hello All,

I have read all the comments on the QC.

Since I got my CW machine three years ago. I have had some repairs made at LHR and they have changed out the QC a couple of times. I had no problem with that.

About five months ago I had my machine in for repairs at LHR.
When I was there I got talking with Chris Lovchik and he asked me if I would like to see the New Spindle that was in the developing stage. After seeing it I stated to Chris that as soon as it was ready for release I wanted to bring my CW down and have it installed.

I totally agree with what you have stated Michael about the New Spindle upgrade, it is Awesome!

Thank you Michael for all you have given to all of us with your Tips & Tricks and in depth knowage of the CW/CC machines of LHR.

Robert
rcdages

Digitalwoodshop
03-31-2010, 10:57 PM
Do I hear the "hint" of a auto bit changer with the new chuck..... Snicker....

AL