PDA

View Full Version : JPEG to Centerline, again.

Kix
03-30-2010, 12:29 PM
Hey there,

Hope you all are well and happy. I have been making some upgrades to my system, new laptop and Ringneck's DC, which really sucks, in a good way. Next is the grizzly mini dc to replace the shop vac and then the "coffin" of 2" insulation board to keep the sound a little lower. The kids bedrooms are right above the garage, which means no night work for me.

Now I am looking to try something ... scary.

My youngest has Down Syndrome, and my father in law has started a golf tournament to raise some funds for him for when he gets older. I would like to make sets of coasters with the course logo and the tournament logo as giveaways for the good folks that are going to be donating. I know if I try to raster these they wont turn out so well, but have zero skills in transfering these to a wingding format for a centerline carve on some corian. I am looking for about 4" total size of the piece, would like to use them with the coaster rack that myshop1044 found.

Can anybody help me with this? I need to carve the Jack attack logo and the upper section of the Pradera logo, without the "club" writing underneath. You will be helping out a good cause, and we donate a chunk of what Jack gets to the Mile High Down Syndrome Association.

Thanks a lot for all you do!

Icutone2
03-30-2010, 01:17 PM
Here is a starter. Sorry did not edit pixale .
Lee

Kix
03-30-2010, 01:34 PM
Thanks for the try. Actually I am going to try and make square coasters, so dont need to do a round carve region. I tried to go down that road already, it ended up involving too many steps to do a production run of units. I just want to get the jpegs swapped to a windding, (wingbat, dingbat? Now I feel like a dingbat!)

The idea is to carve the seperate logos into the corian, then hit them with the chop saw and have square units. If I can make 120 of the Pradera's and 120 of the Jack attack's, that would give me 60 sets of coasters (4 each).

Thanks for taking a swing at it though.

hogiewan
03-30-2010, 01:48 PM
http://www.filedropper.com/jack_1

I still haven't figured out how to convert these to a font, but here's a zip with each image vectorized (two color for easy carving) and saved as multiple file types for whoever can convert them to fonts.

bjbethke
03-30-2010, 05:53 PM
Hey there,

Hope you all are well and happy. I have been making some upgrades to my system, new laptop and Ringneck's DC, which really sucks, in a good way. Next is the grizzly mini dc to replace the shop vac and then the "coffin" of 2" insulation board to keep the sound a little lower. The kids bedrooms are right above the garage, which means no night work for me.

Now I am looking to try something ... scary.

My youngest has Down Syndrome, and my father in law has started a golf tournament to raise some funds for him for when he gets older. I would like to make sets of coasters with the course logo and the tournament logo as giveaways for the good folks that are going to be donating. I know if I try to raster these they wont turn out so well, but have zero skills in transfering these to a wingding format for a centerline carve on some corian. I am looking for about 4" total size of the piece, would like to use them with the coaster rack that myshop1044 found.

Can anybody help me with this? I need to carve the Jack attack logo and the upper section of the Pradera logo, without the "club" writing underneath. You will be helping out a good cause, and we donate a chunk of what Jack gets to the Mile High Down Syndrome Association.

New Font J & P, is this what you want? I installed it on the "~" and the "!" keyboard KEY.

You need to install the font to see them. Hope this helps.

bjbethke
03-31-2010, 12:28 AM
Hey there,

wingding format for a centerline carve on some corian. I am looking for about 4" total size of the piece, would like to use them with the coaster rack that myshop1044 found.

If I was carving this I would cut the Corian to size first 16.375 x 4 inches then make a sled to fit the Corian board. I made a MPC to show this. The small dots are for the guide line to chop then apart.

Kix
03-31-2010, 06:50 AM
Thats Spectacular!

I will run a few this mornign when the sun comes up. I noticed you were thinking about this at O' Dark Thirty, eh?

We really appreciate it.

Kix
03-31-2010, 07:06 AM
I would cut the Corian to size first 16.375 x 4 inches then make a sled to fit the Corian board.

I was originally thinking of doing longer strips like 60" or however long the sheets come by 4". That way I can hopefully get longer production runs without having to stop, reload, and whatnot too much.

I think I am going to be using 1/2" Corian, so I dont need a sled, right?

Again, it is much appreciated!

bjbethke
03-31-2010, 07:56 AM
I would cut the Corian to size first 16.375 x 4 inches then make a sled to fit the Corian board.

I was originally thinking of doing longer strips like 60" or however long the sheets come by 4". That way I can hopefully get longer production runs without having to stop, reload, and whatnot too much.

I think I am going to be using 1/2" Corian, so I dont need a sled, right?

Again, it is much appreciated!
The CW will run 1/2 inch stuff with out the sled. I haven't carved Corian, it is slick and hard and heavy. Five foot stuff would need out feed rollers. If the board slips on the brass roller it will mess up the timing. Let us know how it works out. I am happy to help you. BJB

Don't forget to add the Chop Saw blade thickness or your peaces will not be square.

I think the sheets are sold in 4’ x 8’ and 4’ x 12’, but you can glue them together – fix the seams and make a one peace size any shape you want.

Kix
03-31-2010, 08:26 AM
CW the last thing you do before bed and first thing in the mornign? Thats some serious dedication Mr.

but you can glue them together – fix the seams and make a one peace size any shape you want.

You've really got some high expectations of me! I can almost certainly see either a call to 911 or having to get a fire extinguisher recharged by going down that path, or both. Man's got to know his limitations.

I am using some outfeed support blocks now, prolly should upgrade to rollers, sounds like a trip to Harbor Freight, I dont think they can screw those up.

Masking tape on the edge? Not because it would have deformities, but because it so smooth?

I wonder if my 60 tooth Diablo blade on the compund miter is the best for chopping it up. I have a new 180 tooth around here. Meat Slicer blade? I will ask the cabinet shop guy.

Have you seen the final cut blades? Very cool.

c6craig
03-31-2010, 08:45 AM
Thanks for the try. Actually I am going to try and make square coasters, so dont need to do a round carve region. I tried to go down that road already, it ended up involving too many steps to do a production run of units. I just want to get the jpegs swapped to a windding, (wingbat, dingbat? Now I feel like a dingbat!)

The idea is to carve the seperate logos into the corian, then hit them with the chop saw and have square units. If I can make 120 of the Pradera's and 120 of the Jack attack's, that would give me 60 sets of coasters (4 each).

Thanks for taking a swing at it though.

Hi Kix,

Sounds like a great project, I wish you luck! Have you worked much with corian? Are you planning on sanding any type of profile on the edges? The reason I ask is that I just started playing with corian, but the few cuts I have made have left the edges razor sharp. If you are cutting squares you may want to do something to dull the edges a bit.

Good luck,

Craig

Kix
03-31-2010, 03:18 PM
the few cuts I have made have left the edges razor sharp.

You table saw it down? Or do you mean off the CW?

Could be a spot in the home defense market for a coaster/shuriken. I fully expect to see it in some action movie in the near future.

Thanks for the heads up.

c6craig
03-31-2010, 05:17 PM
the few cuts I have made have left the edges razor sharp.

You table saw it down? Or do you mean off the CW?

Could be a spot in the home defense market for a coaster/shuriken. I fully expect to see it in some action movie in the near future.

Thanks for the heads up.

Sorry, yes I meant after I used a tablesaw to cut it down to size. I have not used the CW to cut corian, only carve names - which I then cut out on the tablesaw into small squares. The fresh cut edges were very sharp, so I would just hate to see you making all these nice coasters for your event and someone lays open a finger or something :)

Craig

happyjackid
04-01-2010, 02:41 AM
I carve corian plaques all the time. It is easy to work with. It sands easily so you can "soften" the edges of your coasters with a simple belt sander in seconds. I hold the plaque in my hands and touch the side to the moving sand paper, then "lay it over" at about a 45 degree angle for a few seconds to round the edge slightly. Hope this helps...

Kix
04-05-2010, 08:18 AM
Corian is easy to cut, sand and carve...

Ok thanks, I might try to get some done this afternoon, darn holidays keep getting in the work of progress.

Yeah.... that's a good excuse.