PDA

View Full Version : Ogee Or Round Over Bit

temler
03-29-2010, 06:17 PM
Hi All

I can usually figure out things or find it on her. I am just kind of brain dead for right now. I have always used my power hand router to do edge routing and stuff. since none of my routing is not really edge routing since when you do a cut out the edge route doesn't go to the new edge, so what is the easiest way to cut out say a 8 x 8 box from the center of a 16" X 12" and then but a edge route of say an ogee and the edge route is on the 8 X 8 not the 16 x 12. My questions.
1. how hard is it on the machine.
2. what is the easiest way to do it
3. is the edge route every used, since most of your routed edges will be at least 1 inch from the edge and 3.5 inches from the end of the board so it will stay under the rollers
I can think of several ways to do it but i would love to know the best way. I can no longer use my router because my RSD has spread so bad to the hands that using my hand router is just too hard on me and need to use my cc to do it. so please how about so great idea of how to edge route in different ways like what if i really want to put it on the edge of it of the project. but i really need to know how to cut my project out of a board that i have centered in my jig, or if you can just show me how to do the 8 x8 square box cut out and router out of the larger piece thanks i can figure it all out from it but looking at what you did.
Thanks
Tim E.

AskBud
03-29-2010, 07:16 PM
Hi All

I can usually figure out things or find it on her. I am just kind of brain dead for right now. I have always used my power hand router to do edge routing and stuff. since none of my routing is not really edge routing since when you do a cut out the edge route doesn't go to the new edge, so what is the easiest way to cut out say a 8 x 8 box from the center of a 16" X 12" and then but a edge route of say an ogee and the edge route is on the 8 X 8 not the 16 x 12. My questions.
3. is the edge route every used, since most of your routed edges will be at least 1 inch from the edge and 3.5 inches from the end of the board so it will stay under the rollers
I can think of several ways to do it but i would love to know the best way. I can no longer use my router because my RSD has spread so bad to the hands that using my hand router is just too hard on me and need to use my cc to do it. so please how about so great idea of how to edge route in different ways like what if i really want to put it on the edge of it of the project. but i really need to know how to cut my project out of a board that i have centered in my jig, or if you can just show me how to do the 8 x 8 square box cut out and router out of the larger piece thanks i can figure it all out from it but looking at what you did.
Thanks
Tim E.

The "Edge Route" is for the Actual edge of your design board.
If you use the size you want (8 x 8), then the Edge Route will do the job. Just remember that you want to use the "Center" when you load the wood in the machine.

If you design your project on a board larger than needed, then you will draw a box to represent the 8 x 8 edge and then assign the bit, and depth, you wish.

No matter the depth of the "Edging Bits", I use a "Max Pass Depth" of no more than .250, just to reduce pressure on the unit.
AskBud

bjbethke
03-29-2010, 07:42 PM
Hi All

I can think of several ways to do it but i would love to know the best way. I can no longer use my router because my RSD has spread so bad to the hands that using my hand router is just too hard on me and need to use my cc to do it. so please how about so great idea of how to edge route in different ways like what if i really want to put it on the edge of it of the project. but i really need to know how to cut my project out of a board that i have centered in my jig, or if you can just show me how to do the 8 x8 square box cut out and router out of the larger piece thanks i can figure it all out from it but looking at what you did.
Thanks
Tim E.
I edge my cutpath cut outs all the time. Just select the bit first then the cutpath.