PDA

View Full Version : Let's Put this In Perspective

OneTimeWoodcraft
03-29-2010, 08:59 AM
I am reading a lot about being 4 hours into the project or 2 hours into the project...what size project are we talking about here..4 hours is a long time..are we doing signs, door hangers, 4 hours is a long time for a machine to run.. is this high production work shops or just once in a while once a week add a little carving pattern to a project type shops..

mtylerfl
03-29-2010, 09:12 AM
I am reading a lot about being 4 hours into the project or 2 hours into the project...what size project are we talking about here..4 hours is a long time..are we doing signs, door hangers, 4 hours is a long time for a machine to run.. is this high production work shops or just once in a while once a week add a little carving pattern to a project type shops..

Hello,

No matter if it's a hobby or production, machining takes time. Project run times vary by quite a lot, depending upon type of carving, size, the quality chosen during upload to the card...the variable are endless.

It is very common for projects to run several hours, and the machine can handle it with no problem whatsoever. All CNC owners are interested in keeping time down and quality up. It can be a delicate balance, but I always opt for the highest quality, which means longer project run times.

LittleRedWoodshop
03-29-2010, 09:28 AM
I started a project last night that is a 5 hour run on "Normal" the piece measures approximately 9.5 inches tall and 39 inches long.

Kix
03-30-2010, 02:44 PM
My perspective on it is a little different.

4 hours into a project means;
When the brisket is about halfway done in the smoker, After the kids and I watched saturday morning cartoons together, After the lawns been mowed, snow shoveled, sprinkler system fixed, new greenhouse plans drawn, maybe a little disc golf putting in the front yard, a phone call to mom and dad just because I have a spare moment, cleaned my work email, did my taxes, etc. etc. ad nauseum.

Once you get everything organized, which should include a Dust collector system, and a couple of other checkmarks on the list, you should be able to quote Ronco and "Set it and Forget it" You will want to do a check on it every fifteen minutes or so, grab the flexshaft sheath and make sure its not overheating, watch the dust get sucked up off the bit, ( I recommend ringneck blues dust collection unit) try not to be hypnotized by it all.

Other than that you are expected to have the nicest lawn, best barbecue, cleanest cars, and other sundry items that you get done while you are doing a "project".

mark1945
03-30-2010, 02:54 PM
I did a mantle face that was 6 ft by 6 in last week.Carved in optimum took 14 hr 24 min to carve and less then 30 minutes to clean up with dremel tool.Would have taken hours to clean up even on best.I dont worry about how long as long as its in optimum and I dont have to spend all that time cleaning up.

TIMCOSBY
03-30-2010, 11:09 PM
the only time to use anything but optimal is on a test carve.

CarverJerry
03-31-2010, 05:36 AM
I agree for the most part about using optimal settings, but sometimes it doesn't pay off. I did a test carve on the project of the log cross with the face of Jesus, I made 3, one in normal, one in best, and one on optimal, other than the feather edges being smoother the only noticeable difference was a little bit on the face. The time difference of the cutting time on this case wasn't worth it since the log carving area isn't really smooth.
But with this kind of carving it is probably one of the few that should be done in the normal. But yes to make a point the time spent letting the machine run and do a much finer cut will save you time in hand finishing.
I also measured the X movement during a normal carve, seems like it moved .005 (5 thousands of an inch) each time the Y moved from side to side. So I'm sure the optimal setting will only move the X .0015 (one and a half thousands of an inch). Maybe Ron Justice knows for sure on this note.
Just my 2 cents worth..