PDA

View Full Version : I need tabs.

scamp62
03-27-2010, 08:16 PM
Got a question for you guys
I want to cut flat letters out of ¼” PVC.
I use a ½” board as a sled, and set board thickness at .750”
I lay out the text, then “outline pattern” the text.
I then delete the text, leaving the outline.
Then I “select bit” 1/8” cutting. And set the depth to .250”
Then I run into the problem ! I then would like to add tabs, but it’s not available !
I need them for any letter with an inner loop (such as a “0”)
So how can I add tabs ?
as always "Thank you for your help !"

Gean
03-27-2010, 09:38 PM
I'm guessing you mean to make tabs so your carving won't "fall out" of the main piece and fly around the machine?

Go to Tips & Tricks August 2009 (from the home page). It's all about custom tabs for full depth cut outs.

Gean

scamp62
03-27-2010, 09:50 PM
Hay “Gean”
Can you give me a little more info on “home page” ?
Sorry I cant find it (somewhat new around here)
And your guess is correct !!

scamp62
03-27-2010, 09:56 PM
If http://forum.carvewright.com// is the home page then I still cant find the Tips & Tricks ?

eelamb
03-27-2010, 10:01 PM
scamp62 here is the link to the tips and tricks.
http://www.carvewright.com/cms/tips-and-tricks

scamp62
03-27-2010, 10:08 PM
as always...........Thank you !!!!!

TIMCOSBY
03-27-2010, 10:17 PM
rectangle carve region set to 0 will work as a tab.

scamp62
03-27-2010, 10:41 PM
To “TIMCOSBY”
God I wish I could understand what you are trying to tell me.
I feel like an idiot !! :roll:

dbfletcher
03-27-2010, 10:56 PM
Got a question for you guys
I want to cut flat letters out of ¼” PVC.
I use a ½” board as a sled, and set board thickness at .750”
I lay out the text, then “outline pattern” the text.
I then delete the text, leaving the outline.
Then I “select bit” 1/8” cutting. And set the depth to .250”
Then I run into the problem ! I then would like to add tabs, but it’s not available !
I need them for any letter with an inner loop (such as a “0”)
So how can I add tabs ?
as always "Thank you for your help !"

I think you are better off setting the board thickness at .25 (actual size of material) and then you can use the cut path feature whiich will automatcally give you tabs. You are just making things more difficult than they need be.

Doug Fletcher

scamp62
03-28-2010, 12:15 AM
dbfletcher .............THANK YOU !

mtylerfl
03-28-2010, 04:05 PM
Hello,

The following Tips & Tricks explains the process that Doug mentioned about setting your actual material thickness and using the Cut Path tool...

ISSUE 12 September 2008 – Designer 1.131 New Feature Highlights (http://www.carvewright.com/downloads/tips/CarveWrightTips&Tricks_Sept08.pdf)

TIMCOSBY
03-28-2010, 11:25 PM
To “TIMCOSBY”
God I wish I could understand what you are trying to tell me.
I feel like an idiot !! :roll:

a small rectangle where you want a tab. click the carve region button. set the carve region to zero and it will be a tab.

Router-Jim
03-29-2010, 03:37 PM
A trick that I often do when doing multiple coutouts from a single board is to apply 1/16" cardboard to the bottom of my board using spray adhesive. I add the 1/16" to the board thickness and then use the 1/8" bit to cutout to the real board thickness. The machine cuts thru the board but not the cardboard. When I'm done I remove the cardboard backing and the pieces come out like cookies. It works like a charm and I have no tabs to cut or sand out.

Here is an example of when I use this method. http://woodworkerszone.com/igits/showthread.php?t=7527

Jim

Metalhead781
03-29-2010, 05:10 PM
stop beating a dead horse. He doesn't need more confusion. Doug answered it last page. Pour guy's probably pulling out his hair by now. :roll:

Router-Jim
03-29-2010, 05:31 PM
stop beating a dead horse. He doesn't need more confusion. Doug answered it last page. Pour guy's probably pulling out his hair by now. :roll:

Yea whatever. :roll: I realize the OP got his answer so he shouldn't be confused. I was giving another option for those who may search this topic in the future.

c6craig
03-29-2010, 05:39 PM
Sheesh..bad day syndrome? I for one like to see all the different opinions and methods, especially as one may work for one project and one may be more geared toward another project and help in the future.

First time I have seen anyone on this forum complaining about TOO MUCH information....

Oh well...to each their own I suppose :cool:

Craig

mtylerfl
03-29-2010, 07:22 PM
A trick that I often do when doing multiple coutouts from a single board is to apply 1/16" cardboard to the bottom of my board using spray adhesive. I add the 1/16" to the board thickness and then use the 1/8" bit to cutout to the real board thickness. The machine cuts thru the board but not the cardboard. When I'm done I remove the cardboard backing and the pieces come out like cookies. It works like a charm and I have no tabs to cut or sand out.

Here is an example of when I use this method. http://woodworkerszone.com/igits/showthread.php?t=7527

Jim

I think that's a technique worth trying in some situations, Jim. Thank you very much for sharing that with us - very clever!

By the way, I visited the link you gave - nice work on that rush order for the crosses.

TIMCOSBY
03-29-2010, 10:26 PM
i can see where that would be usefull in certain situations.

CarverJerry
03-30-2010, 06:03 AM
Jim, hey thanks for that tip...I'll have to use that one and since I do scrollsaw things I have plenty of spray adhesive around. great idea.