PDA

View Full Version : Compressed air Dust Collection

Metalhead781
03-27-2010, 11:30 AM
I had an idea for a compressed air compact dust collection system. If made from pvc pipe for the vacume chamber and standard dc hose. How much static electricity would be generated compared to a standard delta stand up unit?

Thanks
MH

twiceretired
03-27-2010, 11:57 AM
I have no idea about the static, but I would think the normal grounding precautions taken for a dust collector would work. My interest is in your design, sounds like a very workable idea, quiet except for the compressor running now and then. If you have it worked up would you share it?

Digitalwoodshop
03-27-2010, 01:38 PM
The Venturi Effect.... Sony used it effectively to move picture tubes with suction cups and robots....

The volume of air required will be great.... I would consider trying a HVLP paint sprayer air supply first.... It is basically a vacuum Cleaner supplying air to a spray gun...

Good Idea.... I just wish I could come up with a better chip collector that attached to the Z Truck....

Until then.... Brute Force Suction....

:) AL

Metalhead781
03-28-2010, 12:26 PM
well i'm moving into a new shop soon which has a 250gal compressor already. What i'm thinking of is periodic not constant DC. Basically a 3" pvc pipe with a 1/2" pipe on center forcing compressed air down to a dust bag. The biggest thing is have to direct the air properly through a short section then necked back down to say 1 1/2". This will make a higher volume vacuum chamber as long as the air stream isn't interrupted as it's forced down into the 1 1/2" tube. On the opposite end, I plan on necking it down to 2" pipe then hose for the CW. The total vacuum chamber might only be 12" long with a pistol grip air gun feeding the 1/2" pvc pipe.

I'm stuck on Dialup or else i would upload my sketchup screen shots.