PDA

View Full Version : Help me make up my mind

OneTimeWoodcraft
03-27-2010, 05:27 AM
I am undecided about buying this machine since visiting the compucarve website and reading the reviews. I know that a lot of the problems experienced by those carvers were cause by sears. Others appeared to be doing something that the machine was not designed to do, and others seemed to have problems just making the machine work. But in all cases, the bad reviews were complete nightmares, and the good reviews said the machine was perfect. How can i make up my mind....HELP

CarverJerry
03-27-2010, 07:11 AM
It took me almost a year to make up my mind. I love it, the only things I'd do different is buy a CC and only because of the warrenty and buy the rock before I made my first carving, and the vacuum is a MUST. I love my CW.

CJ

spalted
03-27-2010, 07:52 AM
I just got my machine recently. I had been thinking about it for well over a year.

I had a few minor problems with mine out of the box so far, a loose belt and I had to adjust the head pressure.

My Quick Chuck is a good one, but I still plan to by a Rock Chuck. I'm convinced it will be money well spent. Ron had had been very helpful, answered all my question, given me good honest information. I believe he has a good product and is a class act.

I personally would not run my machine without dust collection.

I think the thing to remember is the Carvewright is not like grandpa's old table saw. It's not a bullet proof tank of a machine that can handle anything you can shove into it. It requires maintenance and a little more fussing to keep it running good.

So far I think its a good product. support has been great and everyone here at the forums have been really helpful.

Digitalwoodshop
03-27-2010, 02:04 PM
The problem with SEARS was that there return policy is and was too lax....

Far too many machines were just traded in when the user didn't know how to repair the basic failures. Hundreds of machines were turned in... Some still return machines and brag about it.... Not everyone is mechanically inclined to do the basic repairs or just don't want to learn.

Much of the "Noise" on the feedback was from users just frustrated that the machine beat them... Yes, there are "Known" problems with the production units. Once the problems are fixed then you have a reliable machine... Just look at the problems in the Troubleshooting section.... SAME Problems OVER and OVER.... So reading 6 months of the forum and having a good attitude about getting all the production unit problems fixed either by warranty or paying for them... Getting a ROCK is a requirement.

So I say.... Get the machine and get the Warranty if you can find it.

It's 95% Attitude.... Keep it positive and you will be FINE....

Yes, some will not like my post but it is a bit of TUFF LOVE....

LHR charges $25.00 for out of warranty Tech Assist.... I am FREE and a PM,email, or phone call away......

Sometimes I can offer advice to fix your problem.

AL

bowfingers
03-27-2010, 07:04 PM
I have had my Carvewright for two years now and I looked and debated about buying one for about a year. I have not regretted purchasing it. In my opinion the people who have the best luck with the machine are the types that are not easily frustrated and have at least a little mechanical aptitude. So if you’re the type who isn’t easily disgusted when things do not go quite right and like making great looking projects then this might be the right for you. Take a look on this site and you will find that there are a lot of very helpful people on here who can help you if you get stuck with something.
Good luck making your decision
Denny

Griz64
03-28-2010, 03:31 AM
LHR charges $25.00 for out of warranty Tech Assist.... I am FREE and a PM,email, or phone call away......

Hey DWS I am curious if this goes for everyone?

OneTimeWoodcraft
03-28-2010, 10:24 AM
Ok those are some pretty down to earth ideas. One more question. What is your main use for the machine. Sign shop, now and then wood carving project, everyday wood carving, furniture....how many hours do you spend on that machine in a week for example..
I don't think, from what i've been able to put together, that this is a high production machine...

jhatcher
03-28-2010, 10:38 AM
This is not a production machine and if you treat it as such, it's gonna give problems.

For my cents: If you are of a technical mind, you will be more happy than not with the machine. Understand that you have a computerized machine in one of the worse environments, a workshop. Sawdust, temperature, humidity will all affect the performance of the machine. You need lube, but not too much, cause sawdust LOVES lube, it attaches to it very easily.

I suppose for me, the hardest thing is keeping the threads clean on the screws, but they must be able to turn easily or you will do like me and strip the leadscrew nuts and have to get into the guts of the thing to install new ones.

Cut a project, clean it, cut another, clean it. While it is running, listen for different sounds, keep an eye on things, feel the machine for heat, feel the flexshaft, listen to the motor. It will fuss before it breaks.

My problem is not the machine itself, but I just can't think of any cool things to make with the thing. It seems before I got it, I was full of ideas, then when it arrived, poof!

Jeremy

Digitalwoodshop
03-28-2010, 08:23 PM
Hey DWS I am curious if this goes for everyone?

I have a open offer for anyone needing repair advice and it's free....

You can PM me or email me... or using my website below find my phone number on the bottom of the pages, call me.

I am in the shop 10 to 12 hours a day so the chances of catching me is pretty good.

I may not have the correct answer but we can look at a few options to solve your problem.

I have had most of the problems already myself so it's second nature.

If you email me, I can send you pictures too.... I have not found a way to post pictures with a PM.

There are many here with as much repair experience as I do so between all of us we can point you in the right direction.

I understand why LHR charges for Tech Assist, It keeps the lights on at LHR and that is a good thing....

AL

Icutone2
03-29-2010, 07:02 AM
Welcome! I say "learn your Machine" Most of my failures are from "Operator error" It will not always do what the operator is thinking. Just my thoughts.
Lee

alan.galbraith
03-29-2010, 08:38 AM
Digitalwoodshop,

Would you like to come to Carlisle Pa some day and help me install the rock chuck. I haven't bought it yet but I might some day. I could always come to you :rolleyes:

Digitalwoodshop
03-29-2010, 10:43 AM
Digitalwoodshop,

Would you like to come to Carlisle Pa some day and help me install the rock chuck. I haven't bought it yet but I might some day. I could always come to you :rolleyes:

Thanks for the offer but I don't make house calls.... Plus I am just too busy.... Was in the shop last night until 2:30 am making artwork for a North Carolina Fire Dept Accountability Board for a presentation today....

Got a email at 9 PM asking for the artwork to go along with the $1324.00 Quote I sent on Saturday....

AL

OneTimeWoodcraft
03-29-2010, 09:14 PM
This is a lot like a machine shop. Setup is the whole thing. The way i see it you buy the machine, buy a rock chuck to go with it, make a little pre flight checklist to go through before you start the project, and pay attention to the machine during the project...might even want to make a little recommended spare parts list..like flex shaft.sandpaper belts..etc.

ktjwilliams
02-18-2011, 03:39 PM
For several months been goin back and forth,,, I buying it, i'm not buying it,, especially when I can get it on sale.. Every time Sears has em on sale or I get some good coupon code I get all the way through the process right up to the point of hitting the place order button... Currently, I can get it for $1221 and free shipping and no interest if paid within one yr.... Do I push the button or not push the button... Hmmmm !!! I want this thing so bad... but .... Hmmm .... HELP !!

badger2424
02-26-2011, 12:58 AM
Hey Onetime.
Are you a person who can deal with the most perfect woman or the worst woman in the world? The perfect woman succombs to your every need and does exactly what you want whenever you want exactly how you want. The worst woman doesn't like you and will not even come close to making you happy. The CW is both. Sometimes the perfect lady, others the b____ I love to hate. Really, if you have any how-to to you, the CW is a great machine. I got mine reconditioned a couple of years ago, and just started to realize how to use it. I spent probably $600, to get a machine I paid $275 for, that I just made $4300 for golf course signs, and didn't look for the job. I made a sign for a guy who knew a guy who knew a guy ect.... I personally would say preventative maintainance is the key to keeping the machine working like it should, as with anything. The forum you are looking at now will make all the difference in the world because whatever happens with your machine, the guys and girls here will help you fix whatever, and rejoice after the incident. Look hard everywhere, then make your decision on HELP, because that is what everyone needs no matter whatever the circumstances. And like Golf---THESE GUYS ARE GOOD!!!!!

Capt Bruce
02-26-2011, 01:27 PM
.... Do I push the button or not push the button... Hmmmm !!! I want this thing so bad... but .... Hmmm .... HELP !!

Push the button. We're all here to help you enjoy the jump and land correctly.

nuchie
03-09-2011, 05:26 PM
I am looking to buy a machine. What is the difference in the N01 system and the CW005 version C system?

halftone
03-15-2011, 06:49 PM
Is yours a model C?

halftone
03-15-2011, 06:53 PM
Is the rock a requirement on the C model as well?

badger2424
03-18-2011, 09:08 PM
halftone the rock is not a requirement but a great addition. I've used the quick change, carvetight, and the rock chucks, and the rock is far better than the quick change and a little better than the carvetight. The rock runs a little quiter and less hot than the carvetight, other than that its a matter of $. The main thing about the CW is to get to know it inside and out, knowledge of how and why the machine works is a must or you will become very frustrated. If you have or get a machine and a problem shows its ugly face, work with it. There is a simple solution- the problem is finding it- and if you can't figure it out, WE ARE HERE.

lynnfrwd
03-18-2011, 09:16 PM
Is the rock a requirement on the C model as well?

The model c comes with the carvetight.

chkorte
03-19-2011, 09:31 PM
I say buy the CC or CW, either one. I hummed and hawed a few days reading all the comments both good and bad and just bit the bullet and did it. I have swore at it and kissed it but I am basically very happy with it. Buy the extended warranty, I wish I could have. Put a Rock Chuck on it right away, I did. Make a dust collector for it and use it always. Keep coming to this forum, these guys have a lot knowledge and are eager to share. I just bought my second CW, used, off EBAY. CARVE ON!!!

obama549
03-29-2011, 10:51 AM
For several months been goin back and forth,,, I buying it, i'm not buying it,, especially when I can get it on sale.. Every time Sears has em on sale or I get some good coupon code I get all the way through the process right up to the point of hitting the place order button... Currently, I can get it for $1221 and free shipping and no interest if paid within one yr.... Do I push the button or not push the button... Hmmmm !!! I want this thing so bad... but .... Hmmm .... HELP !!
his is a lot like a machine shop. Setup is the whole thing. The way i see it you buy the machine, buy a rock chuck to go with it, make a little pre flight checklist to go through before you start the project, and pay attention to the machine during the project...might even want to make a little recommended spare parts list..like flex shaft.sandpaper belts

obama549
03-29-2011, 10:52 AM
Thanks for sharing.It's great

TerryT
04-02-2011, 05:58 PM
If you buy one get a "C".