PDA

View Full Version : Finally (sorry for long post)

ruggybear
03-25-2010, 08:41 PM
Compucarve/Carvewright Machine
I have had my Compucarve going on three years now. Like many users, I had my share of problems/issues with the machine. I had to send it in for repair early on for something that I don’t remember but during the warranty period. When it came back all seemed to be working fine except for the usual ongoing issues with the darn quick change chuck. I had nothing but problem after problem with the QCC.
Went through the ‘check cut motor’ messages and like most others just pressed ‘enter’ to continue and projects completed OK. Then I began to get a rash of edge detection errors and clean board detector errors and weird patterns carving that had no resemblance to the project designed on the computer.
Replaced some termination boards and the FFC cable per tech support. Nothing worked. It turned out that I had the original Z stuff and they sent me part of the new stuff but not all of it. Part this and part that couldn’t communicate with each other.
Finally I reinstalled all of the original parts and found that the termination of the
FFC cable on the (X termination board – I think that is what it is called) would not seat in the connector on the board. I had to epoxy the connector permanently close with the cable in it as the connector would not hold itself closed. This solved most of the problems save the bloody QCC.
Last April (2009) I was having a rash of clean ‘Y rails’ errors. Nothing seemed to fix them even with tech support assistance. I just boxed the machine up and sent it off to Texas with a document of issues enclosed. They had no idea that the machine was coming. When it arrived they called me with an estimate of cost to fix the machine and I gave them the go ahead. They installed a new power supply, computer, Z pack package (including truck, motor FCC cable and termination boards), QCC, sand paper belts, flex shaft with cable and probably some things I don’t remember.
While the machine was in Texas I ordered the Rock Chuck from Ron Justice. As soon as the machine arrived I installed the Rock Chuck before I even tried a project. WOO HOO, is it really the same machine? Needless to say I was ecstatic. I have since added a top mount dust collector (fwharris) and a 950cfm dust collector from Harbor Freight. I recently mass produced the face in the cross (picture attached) (15 copies) and never once had to clean the machine during or in between sessions. I think that speaks volumes for the Rock chuck and the dust collection system.
The only issue I see once in a while now is ‘Y’ or ‘Z’ axis stall or clean ‘Y’ rails. The cure there has been to use a b rush with hard plastic bristles (tooth brush will do the job as well) and brush the Y and Z rails. Move the associated truck and clean there too. I then spray the rails with silicone. Stall and clean errors gone until next time.
What an amazing machine. New upgraded part, rock chuck, dust collection system and proper maintenance make a world of difference. I am now very much enjoying the machine.

PCW
03-25-2010, 09:24 PM
Ken,

Looks like your off to good second start. Alot of people would have thrown in the towel a long time ago. Speaks very well for you. Keep up the good work.

fwharris
03-25-2010, 10:13 PM
Ken,

Great story of your carving (or not) life and very happy to hear you are at the point of happiness now!

Thanks for the great testimonial on the insert and many happy dustless carving hours!!

rjustice
03-26-2010, 06:30 AM
Hi Ken,
First and foremost, I am really pleased to hear that you are finally enjoying your machine, and it is making parts for you trouble free...

I sincerely appreciate the testamonial of your experience, and satisfaction with the Rock Chuck System as well.. If you ever have any questions, please feel free to contact me... I now have my carving bits without the flat ground in them so you dont have to be concerned with how to orient the flat if that is of any interest!

Best regards, and Happy Carving!

Ron

ps... Dan, I love the new avatar!... LOL :)

Digitalwoodshop
03-26-2010, 09:55 AM
Another case of the Tech sending a 14 pin FSC cable that you plugged into your 16 pin system.... I believe that is what burned out the computer... The LHR Play Book needs to have a line added..... DO you have the old Z or the new Z..... You can't ASSUME everyone has the new 14 pin system. Because of the different number of pins the wider contact area of the 14 pin cable plugged into the thinner contact pins.... The FSC cable SHORTS some of the wires together and that is what SHORTS out the Computer..... LHR should have made it right without charging you...:(:(:(

This is the second time I have see it posted that a 14 pin FSC cable was sent to a 16 pin cable user..... Both times it cost the user...... Time to change the play book like I recommended last time.

AL

Router-Jim
03-26-2010, 11:52 AM
Ken, glad to hear you stuck with it and turned out some great carvings. :cool:

I wanted to warn about spraying silicon in the workshop though. It can create a finishing problem on your projects (called fisheye-see photo) in which no finish will stick. It would be alright to spray in into a rag and then wipe it on but just be careful to not let any spray settle on your lumber.

Jim

Icutone2
03-26-2010, 12:03 PM
Thanks Jim Good tip!
Lee

liquidguitars
03-26-2010, 12:55 PM
Ken , I right their with ya!

Keep the bearing clean!

LG