PDA

View Full Version : Simple question about STL importer

SteveB
03-24-2010, 07:32 PM
Hello all, this is my first post! :-D

I have a simple question about the STL importer. I searched the forum but I didn't find any posts with a clear question or answer exactly like mine. Hopefully someone from CarveWright or a user who owns and uses the STL importer could answer me.

I have some design software that I have written myself. It does relatively simple work- it creates 2d designs that you could then cut out and you would have (in the most simple example) a trivet or a coaster. However, the shapes are a bit more complex than mere squares or circles (traditional shapes for these items) but the pieces are simply cut from the wood. For simplicity's sake, image a single jigsaw puzzle piece, scaled up to about five by five inches. The shape of the piece is rather complex but there are no special bevels or other tricks used along the edges of the piece.

My program saves its designs in .DXF format. I have successfully converted them to .STL, which brings me to my question:

Can I import an STL file and simply cut it out from the wood? That is, I just want to use the outline of the shape in the STL file as a pattern for making a cutting path.

Thanks for any help,

-Steve

fwharris
03-24-2010, 09:24 PM
Hello all, this is my first post! :-D

I have a simple question about the STL importer. I searched the forum but I didn't find any posts with a clear question or answer exactly like mine. Hopefully someone from CarveWright or a user who owns and uses the STL importer could answer me.

I have some design software that I have written myself. It does relatively simple work- it creates 2d designs that you could then cut out and you would have (in the most simple example) a trivet or a coaster. However, the shapes are a bit more complex than mere squares or circles (traditional shapes for these items) but the pieces are simply cut from the wood. For simplicity's sake, image a single jigsaw puzzle piece, scaled up to about five by five inches. The shape of the piece is rather complex but there are no special bevels or other tricks used along the edges of the piece.

My program saves its designs in .DXF format. I have successfully converted them to .STL, which brings me to my question:

Can I import an STL file and simply cut it out from the wood? That is, I just want to use the outline of the shape in the STL file as a pattern for making a cutting path.

Thanks for any help,

-Steve

Steve,

Yes!

After you have opened the file in the STL importer you can then save it as a pattern file. With the pattern file you can then put it into designer, outline the pattern and cut it out.

SteveB
03-24-2010, 10:24 PM
Great! Thanks so much for your reply!

That was the last item I had any serious questions about. I just ordered my CarveWright - I'm joining the family!

-Steve

TIMCOSBY
03-24-2010, 11:20 PM
has joined us. welcome aboard.

liquidguitars
03-25-2010, 09:17 AM
Welcome!

The STL program is primarily for 3D shapes, however a 2D DFX loader is in the works and should be avable soon.

LH

Icutone2
03-25-2010, 10:12 AM
Is that 2D-DXF you ment?
Lee

liquidguitars
03-25-2010, 12:04 PM
2d-dxf yes..

LG

SteveB
04-01-2010, 03:17 AM
Welcome!

The STL program is primarily for 3D shapes, however a 2D DFX loader is in the works and should be avable soon.

LH

Oh man, being able to import 2D DXF data (even if just polylines) would be awesome. Any more news at all on the timeframe/features of the upcoming DXF importer?

My Carvewright is supposed to be delivered today. I can't wait!

TIMCOSBY
04-02-2010, 12:40 AM
make it too expensive. i have a whole lot more tools in cad than in designer to draw with.