PDA

View Full Version : lube question !

scamp62
03-24-2010, 12:17 PM
I see a lot of warnings about getting moly lube in the top hat from the flex shaft, …but
Can or should I lube the bearings in the top hat ?????

cnsranch
03-24-2010, 12:26 PM
Nonononononono!!!!!

dbfletcher
03-24-2010, 12:44 PM
Nonononononono!!!!!

Althought technically correct... i think it should be more appropriately stated as:

"NONONONONONONONONONO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

(ok i might be splitting hairs... but you get the idea!)

Doug Fletcher

scamp62
03-24-2010, 12:46 PM
cnsranch your answer is so cryptic ????:)
but I got the message that’s a big no.
Thank you for the answer pal !!

cnsranch
03-24-2010, 12:48 PM
You're welcome, scamp.

DB, I thought I was the only smart a** around here :cool:

dbfletcher
03-24-2010, 12:53 PM
You're welcome, scamp.

DB, I thought I was the only smart a** around here :cool:

Ya.. I'm still working out who I want to emulate... LG, Al who, PCW, Ken, You... so much greatness here I just havent decided who I want to be when I grow up)

I tried being LG first and tried making a string instrument.... this is the best I could muster.. (note... I didnt really make that.. I blatantly just stole that image off the web... im pretty sure my real attempt wouldnt even be that good)

Doug Fletcher

I dont want to be accused of not giving proper credit.... so the images was swiped from this site:

http://peterheadhimself.com/?page_id=2

He actually does have some kinda kewl.... if not downright strange items.

cnsranch
03-24-2010, 12:55 PM
After seeing that, I'd kinda like you to pick LG, Al who, PCW, or Ken :p

Kenm810
03-24-2010, 01:05 PM
I got in the habit a few years ago,
of wipe out the Top-Hat connection every time I cleaned and lubed the Flex-Shaft.
Then do a follow up a couple days days later by disconnecting the F-S and cleaning out the T-H again,
just in case any of the lube leaked down into the T-H.
I really don't like the idea of burning up the Carving Heads Bearings by over lubeing the F-S. http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon6.gif

Ps. Quote -- "I just havent decided who I want to be when I grow up" ---- Me, I wanna be a Fire Truck

Digitalwoodshop
03-24-2010, 07:16 PM
I believe it was LG or Jeff that posted that the Spindle Bearings are or have Ceramic Ball Bearings. Any lubrication acts to slow down the motion of the bearings and produced heat. That is why when the oil carrier from the flex gets into the top hat and down into the bearings they get HOT.

The oil acts as the carrier of the Molly....

If anyone emulates me... It's a hard job...

Answer every question.... Even if you don't know the answer....:mrgreen:

Self promote with your web site as the tag line... :mrgreen:

Push Masking Tape with as many posts as you can even if it has nothing to do with masking tape to beef up that TAPE STOCK....:mrgreen:

Midnight Posting are required.... As I am in the shop working most nights until midnight and just can't resist checking the forum at Midnight before I shutdown for the night...:mrgreen:

Have over 4000 posts... 4300 posts and my 2 cents per post.... That equals about $86.00 worth.....

AL who....

cnsranch
03-25-2010, 09:10 AM
Have over 4000 posts... 4300 posts and my 2 cents per post.... That equals about $86.00 worth.....

AL who....

You get what you pay for:mrgreen:

Digitalwoodshop
03-25-2010, 09:52 AM
That and a $1.50 will get you a cup of McD's Coffee.... :mrgreen:

AL who

Icutone2
03-25-2010, 10:06 AM
Doug, that's a good use for old cookie containers if your ears and the local dogs can take the noise!!
Lee