PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever Clean the

Smoken D
03-23-2010, 06:20 PM
Flex Shaft spring?
I started doing that a long time ago and wondered if anyone else did this. I clean the tube spring in my 1894 Marlin rifle. The way I do this is use a gun cleaning patch and just one wrap around the spring. Then I twist the spring all the way through the patch to clean it off. The first time I did this I couldn't believe the gunk that came off and how even my hands turned black from twisting the spring through the patch. Maybe I over kill on cleaning this machine, if that's possible. But around every 10 hours of cut time I pull the flex shaft out to clean and lube. As I do this I also clean the spring. Was just a wonderen.:)

Digitalwoodshop
03-23-2010, 06:56 PM
A Clean.... Machine ...... is a happy machine....:mrgreen:

Can't hurt.... A Flex Shaft at $75.00 plus shipping, a little preventive maintenance never hurts...

AL

fwharris
03-23-2010, 07:18 PM
Yes I do, also run a leaning rob through the housing. You do need a small diameter rod though as it is a tight fit going through the fittings at the end.

spalted
03-23-2010, 07:26 PM
Yes I do, also run a leaning rob through the housing. You do need a small diameter rod though as it is a tight fit going through the fittings at the end.

How often do you clean you flex housing?

fwharris
03-23-2010, 08:15 PM
How often do you clean you flex housing?

Clean it when I have to lube the flex shaft. I use the CraneCam lube and I am guessing right now but I would bet I've got close to 100 hours since the last lube. Last carve was 2hrs and touch test was not even warm.

spalted
03-23-2010, 08:25 PM
Thanks fw,

My machine is new, and I want to stay on top of the maintenance to prevent any trouble.

lawrence
03-24-2010, 12:33 AM
you guys make me feel bad about my maintenance.... and I keep a fairly clean machine :oops:

Thanks for the tip though, I'll try 'er out

Lawrence

Creekwood
03-24-2010, 06:29 AM
I needed to pay more attention, it has cost me a new shaft and truck:(

Smoken D
03-24-2010, 10:20 AM
Floyd;
It made me think about the shaft itself. Maybe using a rifle cleaning rod with a cleaning patch tip. Straighten out the shaft, insert the rod with a patch on it, rotate the rod as you insert and see what comes out. Cannot imagine the gunk that will be on it. Will give it a try. Thanks.
Might really be best to take the shaft off so that you can push the rod completely through and not leave any of that gunk inside the shaft. Especially since the shaft is not difficult to remove.

fwharris
03-24-2010, 10:34 AM
Floyd;
It made me think about the shaft itself. Maybe using a rifle cleaning rod with a cleaning patch tip. Straighten out the shaft, insert the rod with a patch on it, rotate the rod as you insert and see what comes out. Cannot imagine the gunk that will be on it. Will give it a try. Thanks.
Might really be best to take the shaft off so that you can push the rod completely through and not leave any of that gunk inside the shaft. Especially since the shaft is not difficult to remove.

Most definetly you will need to remove the complete flex shaft assembley to do this. I had to use the .17 cleaning tip as the .22 was to big with the patch for the end fitting that goes into the top hat.

liquidguitars
03-24-2010, 10:52 AM
I remove the shaft and core then clean with paint thiner.. let dry and oil it.

LG