PDA

View Full Version : First weekend done, when do I break it down?

Sshanks
03-22-2010, 03:41 AM
Third day of carving done... About 10 or so hours of actual carving time..
So far, no problems. (Sigh of relief).

A question to all the veterans- when to break down the machine and how often? The flex shaft- how often to take that out and lube it? is there a too often? I want my good fortune to last so I think maybe once a week a deep cleaning is in order? What parts are a must and what parts don't need it so much???

Thanks

ctchay83
03-24-2010, 09:08 AM
I am also a young user with this machine, but i will take a crack at this after doing some research over the last week here is what i know.

1. If you have not lubed your flexshaft ever do it now (i decided to do this once a week) that is a judgement call on my end i maybe put 8-15 hours on my machine a week. make sure you use recommended lube. (liquid wrench chain lube with Moly found mine at oriely's)

2. Keep you chuck free of built up dust and make sure to keep it and you bit adapters oiled (3 in 1 oil) spray the chuck out with wd40 inspect it and wipe it clean then appy the oil 2 drop on finger and swab inside of it. I perform this after every project. Oh also keep you guide rails for the chuck free of debris and keep oiled as well.

3. keep you vertical guide rods free of dust and debris and lubed with white lithium grease important for head pressure. I inspect this after every project and do if necessary (I do it after every project)

I think i covered the main things to really monitor closely. Please anyone have something to add please do or something i am not aware of please advise. Prevenative maint. is huge with these machines.

Cliff