PDA

View Full Version : Antique Book Rest - Project of the Month

mtylerfl
03-21-2010, 03:25 PM
Hello,

Here is a preview of the next Project of the Month, the "Antique Book Rest". This is to provide a few details beforehand so subscribers will have time to "gather" the materials, etc. if they want to do this project.

This project features a unique antique- style Book Rest with an adjustable pull-out shelf to accommodate a variety of book sizes. A book rest is often used for holding cookbooks conveniently open while the cook is working in the kitchen, but it is also great when used as a decorative accessory piece for displaying an open Bible, an antique book, or even a small painting!

The finished, assembled book rest/holder (opened) is about 13"W x 11" D x 8”H . The shelf is removable and the backboard easel assembly folds together for compact storage and/or for shipping.

The project is carved and cut out using just the two bits that were included with your machine - no other bits are required.

Main items you will need:

1) The Project Files (included):
• Backboard.mpc
• Shelf_Easel_Strips.mpc

2) Boards with the following dimensions:
Backboard: .75" x 11.125" x 20" (one)
Shelf, Easel, Strips: .75" x 9" x 26" (one)

(NOTE: Do not use boards that are smaller than specified above, or if you are using a sled, you can subtract 7" from the length of the board and have the sled provide the extra 7" required)

3) Hinge for easel (¾" x 4" piano-style)
(I used Brainerd hinge # 1264XC from
www.hardwareworld.com (http://www.hardwareworld.com))

4) Self-stick felt from any arts & crafts store
(I purchased felt from Michael’s Arts & Crafts)

5) Sandpaper, wood glue, wood stain and/or paint and clear finish

6) A Dremel-type rotary tool with assorted sanding wheels and bits to sand small details and speed up preparation for finishing.

Here’s what I used on my Antique Book Rest made from Select Pine wood:

1) one very light coat of thinned Bullseye Sealcoat (2 parts sealer/3 parts Denatured alcohol)
2) sanded again with very fine sandpaper & Dremel
3) Minwax Colonial Maple stain #223
4) one coat Bullseye Amber shellac
5) two light coats of Krylon spray clear acrylic
6) two coats Minwax water-based Satin Polycrylic

LittleRedWoodshop
03-21-2010, 03:51 PM
I can think of a few cooks in my family that will have to have one of those.

dbfletcher
03-21-2010, 05:23 PM
Damn you Michael!!!! My gf happens to be a Librarian and caught a glimps of that over my shoulder. I guess I know what i'll be doing next month instead of getting the bike ready to roll!

Howerver... another great looking project. The POM is worth every penny in my opinion

Doug Fletcher

MCGEE2SKINNER
03-21-2010, 06:07 PM
Michael
Another great one. My wife can't wait she works at the church and they display a bible at the entrance. Assembly instructions to follow soon I hope.
Can't Wait
JIM

mtylerfl
03-21-2010, 06:45 PM
Thanks, Jason! Hope you have fun with the project!

Damn you Michael!!!! My gf happens to be a Librarian and caught a glimps of that over my shoulder. I guess I know what i'll be doing next month instead of getting the bike ready to roll!

Howerver... another great looking project. The POM is worth every penny in my opinion

Doug Fletcher

Hi Doug,

Just teach your girlfriend how to run the CarveWright so you can focus on getting the bike ready! Problem solved!;)

Michael
Another great one. My wife can't wait she works at the church and they display a bible at the entrance. Assembly instructions to follow soon I hope.
Can't Wait
JIM

Hi Jim,

That will be really cool. Hope you can share a photo or two when it's all set up!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

liquidguitars
03-22-2010, 08:46 PM
looks like a book stand suitable for a king!
Very nice!

LG

b.sumner47
03-22-2010, 08:58 PM
Hi Micael, Boy ,I can,t wait to carve this one. Thank you..Capt Barry

CarverJerry
03-23-2010, 05:31 AM
That looks really cool, please let us know when it is availabe to purchase. Good job.

mtylerfl
03-23-2010, 08:28 AM
That looks really cool, please let us know when it is availabe to purchase. Good job.

Thanks again, everyone!

The POM's are usually available for download around the first of each month for the subscribers, so I imagine the email notifications for this one will be on or around April 1st.

A POM often appears in the CarveWright store for individual purchase around the same time, or a perhaps a few days after the initial subscriber notification goes out.

cnsranch
03-23-2010, 08:57 AM
I like the adjustable rest - very clever, MT.

RayTrek
03-23-2010, 09:12 AM
Yet another outstanding project, I am getting a little behind with your projects; one thing is I have something to look forward to,
Thanking you for sharing your mastered talent, you amaze and inspire me.
Cheers
Ray

skeeterman
03-31-2010, 07:20 PM
I am awaiting this pom, this will make a great gift for wife
steve

CraigBrownDesigns
03-31-2010, 07:28 PM
Awsome work!

Icutone2
03-31-2010, 08:57 PM
Great Job! I need to renew my Sud. Soon