PDA

View Full Version : Scanning hardened wax sculpture?

MichiganPatriot
03-21-2010, 10:15 AM
OK, I've been put into contact with a local artist who does a lot of liturgical work for churches in the area/region. He has a low relief wax sculpture and we both want to try to scan it. So, I have a couple questions.

Has anyone here ever scanned hardened modeling wax, kinda like candle wax?

I Haven't used the probe yet. Is there an adjustment for probe pressure?

(I have a scanning sled.)

Thanks!
Mike

James RS
03-21-2010, 11:37 AM
I do not have a scanning probe, but I would try it out and try scanning a candle first

just my 2 cents best of luck

Capt Bruce
03-21-2010, 11:54 AM
Given my experience with first scan recently it will scar the wax surface. See results below scanning gilt surface on soft pine. If you use micro glue plastic extender tips (Hobby Lobby) pressed on the probe it may not do as much damage to the surface, but I too endorse the candle test as suggested.

The probe tip is needle sharp and no there is not a pressure control. Good luck!

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h32/ohneplo/IMG_0790.jpg

Kenm810
03-21-2010, 12:20 PM
I have done several wax items,
but first I would say the scanning probe will most likely damage your wax model.
I first use latex to make a pliable mold and case a new model with plaster of paris,
when it totally dried I top coated with epoxy paint for a hard surface to scan.
The scanned plaster model gave me fairly good results that were usable.
Now when I use the Latex mold process I mix a two part acrylic resin which hardens like stone
it's supper smooth and picks up all the finest details of the wax and scans like a dream.
All the materials you'll need are a any Artist supply outlet and most Craft Stores ---Plus their available on line.

Ps. I use the same process for most any item that I want to scan, that I don't want to damage the surface of.
http://forum.carvewright.com/showpost.php?p=28220&postcount=1

MichiganPatriot
03-21-2010, 07:57 PM
Awesome, valuable information!!!

I can't thank you guys enough, especially for the latex/PoP, and acrylic resin techniques.

Thanks!!!

Mike