PDA

View Full Version : help with jig

maddog1953
03-18-2010, 08:05 PM
I am trying to carve a 6 x 6x .75 I put it in a jig, overall length 13 in. put center on piece, after the machine read the piece it went past the 6 x6 piece and was going to carve on the jig. Any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong? Help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

AskBud
03-18-2010, 08:12 PM
I am trying to carve a 6 x 6x .75 I put it in a jig, overall length 13 in. put center on piece, after the machine read the piece it went past the 6 x6 piece and was going to carve on the jig. Any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong? Help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

It could be several different things.
We could answer better if we could see your MPC.

What size is your Design Board? Is there a "Feather" on the perimeter? What prompts did you get when loading the machine?
AskBud

maddog1953
03-18-2010, 08:22 PM
my pattern board is 6 in x 6 in x .75 thick my jig is 13 x 6 all it asked was stay on rollers center on board i said yes and cut to length i said no

mtylerfl
03-18-2010, 09:13 PM
my pattern board is 6 in x 6 in x .75 thick my jig is 13 x 6 all it asked was stay on rollers center on board i said yes and cut to length i said no

Can we see a photo of your jig and can you post the mpc, as well?

AskBud
03-18-2010, 09:20 PM
The machine does its first carve verification just to the right of where it will begin carving, and then move the the correct point prior to starting to carve.

If you aborted before it was finished with this movement, you were too anxious.
AskBud

mtylerfl
03-18-2010, 09:35 PM
The machine does its first carve verification just to the right of where it will begin carving, and then move the the correct point prior to starting to carve.

If you aborted before it was finished with this movement, you were too anxious.
AskBud

You may have something there, Bud! I just noticed he said it was 'going' to carve on the jig. Oh well - I guess we'll find out!;)

liquidguitars
03-18-2010, 10:44 PM

Here is a post i made a few back about setting up sleds and the CW could be helpfull before you get to confused.

http://forum.carvewright.com//showthread.php?t=14648

LG

CarverJerry
03-19-2010, 07:53 AM
Shouldn't he have said not to stay under the rollers and to center on board?

mtylerfl
03-19-2010, 08:32 AM
Shouldn't he have said not to stay under the rollers and to center on board?

He did say 'center' is what I gather from his OP, and in this case, it wouldn't matter whether he answered 'yes' or 'no' to stay under rollers because the sled provides the extra required length regardless (i.e., the project WILL stay under the rollers, no matter which response he made). He's cutting it close though... 6+7=13...I tend to make sure the length is just a teeny tad over the minimum...like 13.25" in a case like this. Lots of folks add an extra 8" (instead of 7") for extra 'insurance'.

AskBud
03-19-2010, 09:18 AM
He did say 'center' is what I gather from his OP, and in this case, it wouldn't matter whether he answered 'yes' or 'no' to stay under rollers because the sled provides the extra required length regardless (i.e., the project WILL stay under the rollers, no matter which response he made). He's cutting it close though... 6+7=13...I tend to make sure the length is just a teeny tad over the minimum...like 13.25" in a case like this. Lots of folks add an extra 8" (instead of 7") for extra 'insurance'.

For all we know, there may be a "feather" that falls outside of the design measurement that could also come in to play. We really need to see the MPC and know/see how the sled/jig is constructed.
AskBud

mtylerfl
03-19-2010, 05:41 PM
For all we know, there may be a "feather" that falls outside of the design measurement that could also come in to play. We really need to see the MPC and know/see how the sled/jig is constructed.
AskBud

Yep, that's true.;)