PDA

View Full Version : Selling through Sears

osia12
09-23-2006, 12:43 AM
I was a bit surprised to learn that these machines will be sellig through Sears, probably by the end of the year. I was also kind of surprised at the revelation that the advanced software will be sold separetly.

I am totally in favor of profit and wish these guys success, but I have to wonder what the impact will be on the customer service that so many have raved about. It may be more convenient to take the machine to Sears for service, but if it turns out like any of their mowers or other larger items I don't think that the owner will be able to exchange it for a new one on the spot.

Operators will be faced with a substantial amount of down time either waiting for repair or replacement. Although this news has not caused me to totally say I won't purchase the system I am hopeful that someone can address these concerns through one of the forums.

And if a person waits for the Sears version how much extra will someone have to pay for the advanced software that is provided to purchasers prior to the unveilling at Sears?

shabang
09-23-2006, 04:47 AM
And where did this info come from??

Just wondering if it is in print. I wouldlike to read it.

cajunpen
09-23-2006, 09:28 AM
I bought my CW back in April, and someone told me back then that they would eventually be selling the software seperately. As for Customer Support, I would expect that it would not change just because you bought it from Sears (IF that is true). I suspect that the staff at CW will still support the product as they always have.

As for the software issue, I don't see a problem with them selling it apart from the machine - I guess I look at it as a gain for me, having bought my machine prior to paying extra for the software. I think that the people like me have been in a "Betta" mode while they worked out the kinks. Sounds like things are about where they wanted them to be, in terms of performance, and now they are ready to take it to the next level. Good luck CW.

I guess if what you are saying about Sears is true, you've answered your own questions - if you are leaning toward purchasing a CW, NOW is the time to do it and save a few bucks on the Software. I don't think that you will go wrong with this machine - it does what they say it will do. Good luck with your decision, hopefully you will make the choice that is best for you.

osia12
09-23-2006, 10:41 AM
I received the information from David Jochim of CW, he said there are fewer then 20 machines available in the current production run. I will be getting mine, just wanted to know what current users think about the Sears angle. I am not going to post his entire email

shabang
09-23-2006, 12:05 PM
Well then if we can't see it and there is no real proof of it so then why speculate?

If it is anything like the 2 week deal to get some 3d artwork from another website then it will take forever because the 2 weeks have come and gone many times now.

http://www.carvewright.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1301&highlight=#1301

osia12
09-23-2006, 12:56 PM
Wasn't speculating, unless an employee of CW doesn't know what he is talking about. Wasn't trying to upset the apple cart, was just trying to gauge how current users will respond and if there are any concerns about the support that the CW team has provided thus far.

Jeff
09-23-2006, 02:02 PM
When I bought my machine, I told them what I thought about the possibility of selling through sears. In my experience, they are pretty much clueless, and since this is a specialty, higher end system versus the garbage they sell under the crapsman logo, sales will probably be hurt by the reputation. Serious woodworkers, the market segment they are focused on, are not going to go to sears.

In addition, sear has perfected the art of customer DIS-service. Their policy seems to change based on the mood of the person you talk to at that moment. And, I can give you lots of personal examples.

Of course, for legal reasons, this is my just my opinion and I do have specific examples and witnesses to back everything up.

I would strongly recommend that you purchase one of those remaining 20 through LHR directly.

Jeff

pkunk
09-23-2006, 08:19 PM
Here ya go Jeff....

Jeff
09-23-2006, 09:10 PM
Bummer...

Jeff

BobHill
09-24-2006, 08:31 AM
Sorry,

Perhaps it's because I'm older than most here, but I've used Sears tools for well over fifty years and I'm not speaking of just their hand tools, and although I also have other tools in my workshop (Perfomax thickness sander, etc.), most of them are Craftsman tools including my new 10" table saw (I gave away my 10" radial arm saw that I had for over 30 years, still working fine). And unless the CarveWright would be made far different than now and by different people than now, I'd say those working up such a sweat have a personal agenda going, not something attached to the CarveWright itself.

Bob Hill
Tampa Florida

Aaron B
09-24-2006, 11:17 AM
Wasn't speculating, unless an employee of CW doesn't know what he is talking about. Wasn't trying to upset the apple cart, was just trying to gauge how current users will respond and if there are any concerns about the support that the CW team has provided thus far.

I will only be concerned if the support goes down hill after sears starts selling them. I wont mind them taking longer to answer and email or return a phone call as long as its in a reasonable amount of time. People at Sears are not going to be able to answer/help with most if any problems.

cmorlier
09-28-2006, 04:57 PM
Please read our announcement, which can be found here: http://carvewright.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=413.

shabang
09-28-2006, 05:43 PM
Well I stand corrected Osia12 was right.

I don't to work off of unofficial information.

So to answer your original question... I'm happy I did not buy mine in Sears.

That is not to say I think they are bad but my experiences with them vary.

You were right. Just don't tell my wife I know how to say those words!

:lol: