PDA

View Full Version : Not Carving Deep Enough

chkorte
03-18-2010, 03:02 PM
I have been carving these plaques for friends and now I am getting a glitch in the carve. Actually 3 glitches. The first 3 plaques I did came out just fine. Now I’m getting these glitches. The first one is the inner triangle on the top right point (see arrows in pictures 2 & 3) is offsetting to the right. Next the lettering (Centerline)is not carving deep enough to the point that some of the letters are barely visible (see picture #3) and last the whole pattern is not centering on the board. The centering on the board width is pretty close but it always goes 5/16ths of an inch closer to the right side (as you look at it from the key pad) than the left when centering on the length. The right side is 5/16” and the left is 5/8”. (see picture #2) I can fix the centering by trimming after the carve but I don’t think I should have to. The depth of the lettering is another story. Picture #2 & #3 were carved using version 1.162 and were carved from the same pattern upload to the card. Picture #1 was carved using version 1.153. All three were carved from the same mpc file. In between carving #2 and #3 I tried carving some lettering in another board and could barely see most of those letters. I recently did a calibration reset and everything went fine. When I did the” Manually Calibrating the X-Axis” function the length measurement was within 1/32” between my measurement and the CWs. Anyone have any thoughts??????/

cnsranch
03-18-2010, 03:09 PM
First two things to check - First, is there a chance that the board is losing contact with the dreaded brass roller? and Second, is the bit flag coming all the way out during initial measure (and/or, could the flag be bent a little?)

chkorte
03-18-2010, 03:36 PM
First two things to check - First, is there a chance that the board is losing contact with the dreaded brass roller? and Second, is the bit flag coming all the way out during initial measure (and/or, could the flag be bent a little?)

No it is not loosing contact with the brass roller and the rubber O-ring is in place and the flag is coming out and it's not bent. I always make certain I have a flat clean straight edge against the brass roller and watch the bit touch the flag.

Griz64
03-19-2010, 01:45 AM
Picture #2 & #3 were carved using version 1.162 and were carved from the same pattern upload to the card. Picture #1 was carved using version 1.153.

I would say this is your problem. I know a few folks have been having some problems with the new software. If pic 1 was done with the older software and it is the way you want it then I would go back to using what you know and works correctly. Let LHR work the bugs out (like they should have in the first place). Thats just my $.02 worth.

RMarkey
03-19-2010, 08:05 AM
As for the Y axis centering on 1.162:

When you "reset the cal" you also reset the board sensor cal (Y axis calibration). If you have a 3/8" jointing bit, run the "cal sensors" test. If you don't have the bit, run the "manual Y cal" instead. Follow the cal directions from our learning lab.

dbfletcher
03-19-2010, 08:17 AM

When you "reset the cal" you also reset the board sensor cal (Y axis calibration). If you have a 3/8" jointing bit, run the "cal sensors" test. If you don't have the bit, run the "manual Y cal" instead. Follow the cal directions from our learning lab.

Can you be a little more specific for the link in the learnig lab? Im not seeing any links or documents that lead me to beleive it is the Calebration instructions you are refering to?

Doug Fletcher

RMarkey
03-19-2010, 08:32 AM
Sorry, wrong place. Try:

support->service documentation->maintenance documents

Digitalwoodshop
03-19-2010, 11:35 AM
I believe that the Head is OUT OF LEVEL...... That is why the lower part of the art is cut shallow since that area is high and the bit cannot reach the wood....

Out of level happens when the cross gear shaft that raises and lowers the head skips a tooth.... The shaft is only held in by a screw and especially when the machine is cold it takes more torque to move the far side and it skips a tooth.

Remove one side of the gear and level the head.

You can quickly check the head level by placing a wide board in the machine and cranking it down. Place a bit in the chuck and using options, sensor data, and Z Data readings. Push the head down on the left side of the board and note the reading. Move the head to the right side of the board and measure that side.

AL

chkorte
03-19-2010, 04:16 PM

When I did the calibration reset I followed the instructions in CarveWright User Calibration document in the Maintenance Documents section. I first did the Calibrating the Depth (or Board Thickness) operation then the Calibrating the Edge Sensor operation and then the Manually Calibrating the X-Axis operation. When I did the” Manually Calibrating the X-Axis” operation the length measurement was within 1/32” between my measurement and the CWs. I will check to see if the head is out of level but I don’t think it is.