PDA

View Full Version : The Right Lube? Am I being too Paranoid?

Sshanks
03-18-2010, 02:52 AM
Just recieved my carvewright today!! Have been looking at the forums and want to make sure I don't mess up my machine early... The question is this..
I have "Liquid Wrench Chain Lube" It does not say "with Moly" on the front however contents on the back list:
Mineral spirits, Lubercating oil, polymer blend, corrosion inhibitor, and finally organic molybdenum.....
Is this the correct lube? Sorry if this is a repost, I Just want to be sure....
Thanks

Kenm810
03-18-2010, 06:44 AM
Sshanks,

Welcome to the Cw Forum

Here's a post from a year or so ago --Industrial Chain Lube "with Moly"

http://forum.carvewright.com/showpost.php?p=66227&postcount=27

lynnfrwd
03-18-2010, 11:12 AM
Here is the latest word from LHR on lubricant for flexshaft...my first attempt at adding attachments...might have it. ;)

It also includes a link for locating a distributor in your area. It is still advised that you call first to make sure they have it in stock.

rjustice
03-18-2010, 11:15 AM
Ace Hardware does still carry the can that Ken posted... I was just in our local store and saw it on the shelf if that helps!

Happy Carving,

Ron

atauer
03-18-2010, 11:29 AM
It sounds as if the can that is in the PDF file that lynnfrwd has posted is the same stuff that Sshanks is using...

Sshanks, you should be fine using what you currently have, as it sounds like the same stuff we use.

Sshanks
03-18-2010, 01:17 PM
Thanks for the responses everyone. I have the same stuff, so it is off to some set up and then some sawdust!!!

cnsranch
03-18-2010, 01:26 PM
Just make sure you don't let that stuff drip down into the "top hat" - you burn the bearings out, and then you're screwed.

And, watch the temp of the flexshaft - if you don't have an infra-red thermometer, put your hand on the top-most curved part of the shaft periodically, and feel the temp - if it's more than warm to the touch, you've got trouble (more than warm means that it's got a temp higher than your body temp of 98 ).

dbfletcher
03-18-2010, 01:36 PM
Just make sure you don't let that stuff drip down into the "top hat" - you burn the bearings out, and then you're screwed.

And, watch the temp of the flexshaft - if you don't have an infra-red thermometer, put your hand on the top-most curved part of the shaft periodically, and feel the temp - if it's more than warm to the touch, you've got trouble (more than warm means that it's got a temp higher than your body temp of 98 ).

One additonal thing... many of us have noticed the first few hours after relubing, the flexshaft actually increases in temp a bit. Then it drops signifinicantlly.

I would definately take the top hat off after the first carve to insure that nothing has worked it's way down there.

Doug Fletcher

mtylerfl
03-18-2010, 01:59 PM
Just recieved my carvewright today!! Have been looking at the forums and want to make sure I don't mess up my machine early... The question is this..
I have "Liquid Wrench Chain Lube" It does not say "with Moly" on the front however contents on the back list:
Mineral spirits, Lubercating oil, polymer blend, corrosion inhibitor, and finally organic molybdenum.....
Is this the correct lube? Sorry if this is a repost, I Just want to be sure....
Thanks

Hello,

I lube with Chain Lube with Moly as mentioned here already. However, I spoke with a Tech the other day and he shared some info with me, for what it's worth...

The flex shafts are manufactured by a company in Alabama. All the flex shafts are permeated with a mixture of graphite particles before leaving the factory during a process that starts with large particles and gradually becomes finer and finer until the graphite is thoroughly distributed in every crevice of the flex shaft core. He tells me that some customers who inspect their (new) flex shaft cores think that they are not lubricated, when in fact, they are (with the graphite). He went on to say that he believes the graphite 'lube' is actually superior to the Chain Lube, but it it more expensive and perhaps harder to find. He says it's the same graphite-based stuff that locksmiths use to lube locks. We have a choice - Chain Lube with Moly or a graphite lube - either one works.

deemon328
03-27-2010, 07:14 PM
Crane Cams assembly lube is still working wonders for me. I've got a 2 hour carve going and the flex shaft hasn't hit 80 degrees.

I messed with the chain lube and lost my rpm sensor as thanks for it. The assembly lube is just more foolproof IMO.

Good luck.

lostinthefrost
03-28-2010, 01:59 PM
I used to order the crane cams through my local autozone, but their warehouses are no longer carrying it. It was nice to put it on and let it go.

CarverJerry
03-28-2010, 02:04 PM
Not sure if this is the right crane cam lube but summit racing carries it. http://www.summitracing.com/search/?keyword=crane%20cam%20assembly%20lube%5C&dds=1
They do mail orders.........

CJ

deemon328
03-29-2010, 07:35 PM
Crane Cams 99002-1 - Crane Super Moly Assembly Lube (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CRN-99002-1/)

This is the one I used.