PDA

View Full Version : Y axis proplems

archy
03-17-2010, 09:43 PM
I tryed to do a centerline carving but my machine just would not do it. I think the memory card may of been corupted. I replaced the Head Termination Electronics Board Assembly with a new one thinking it would help because the old one wasn't in very good shape from the factory when I first bought the machine. I thought it might be the source of some of the other bugs I've had in the past as well. Now all I get is a Y stall axis and error 303. I checked the sensor check on the Y axis and all I get is 0000 when I move the truck back and forth. Could it be a loss of power to the Y motor? Please help me guys. What and where should I check?

PCW
03-17-2010, 10:14 PM
Did you replace the Y termination board or the board sensor board near the Z trunk? Either way make sure the ribbon cable from the Y termination board to the board sensor board to make sure it is seated good. Make sure the power is off when you do this because it is possible that you could fried your controller if you hot swap the cable.

Also make sure there is no nicks in the flat cable.

archy
03-18-2010, 12:14 AM
Thanks PCW, actually there was a problem with the flat cable that runs to the back of the z truck assembly. One of the strands was actually cut just inside the little rubber boot on the back of the z truck. It was still somehow making contact I guess because I had just finished carving on the front of the same board I that I was trying to centerline carve on the backside with a retirement poem for a friend. I was able to repair it by seperating the outer strand that was cut and sottering it back together. The z Itruck seems to respond just fine but like I said the Y truck does not move at all and when I ran the sensor check and slid the Y truck from one end to the other the figures on the screen just stayed on zero while the z truck figures increased and decreased. It was the y truck termination board according to your pictuure, but when I had this problem I put the old one back to see if it would make a difference. It didn't make a difference so again I put the new one back on. Talk about headaches, I've sure had quite a few with this machine since I bought it about 2 years ago. I even sent it in once so they could iron out all the bugs. Now I wonder if that nic or cut in the cable was the root of all my problems. And how did that nic or cut get there in the first place. hmm. Well please let me know if anyone can come up with any solutions. I guess I will have to call Carvewright once again. Thanks Again!

PCW
03-18-2010, 07:34 AM
Those two ribbon cables are a very important piece of the CW puzzle. They carry all the power/sensor inputs for the X Y & Z to the computer. Good Job

Also I like to install the ribbon cable at the Z with the black cover removed and slid back on to the cable. This way you can see what you are doing and it makes it alot easier and less chance of damaging the cable. Just me:)

machinejunky
03-19-2010, 02:13 AM
i got 2 of this machine i spend more time fixing it, than it run. it a kool machine when it working. The chuk holder need to build better, boardmeasure sensor, is garbage, need to be improve. i like to see this machine with a vaccum port, the mickey mouse blower it polute more noise than it do it cleaning job. the sanding belt, i buy more sanding belt for thismachine, than i does on my belt sander. lol now 1 machine the Z axe the chuck holder bracketbroke off i call the web store to order a new none and they said canadian money is no good they don't sell to me. what an awsome service the software did an great job in convert raster for machining, but on another hand i have a hard time learn how to cad in this software. this machine would be more popular if the software can import different cad file.
good inovation but need to improve in the design.. i own industrial CO2laser, water jet and cnc Router, but still love to see one of this machine in my garage working ...

AskBud
03-19-2010, 10:29 AM
i got 2 of this machine i spend more time fixing it, than it run. it a kool machine when it working. The chuk holder need to build better, boardmeasure sensor, is garbage, need to be improve. i like to see this machine with a vaccum port, the mickey mouse blower it polute more noise than it do it cleaning job. the sanding belt, i buy more sanding belt for thismachine, than i does on my belt sander. lol now 1 machine the Z axe the chuck holder bracketbroke off i call the web store to order a new none and they said canadian money is no good they don't sell to me. what an awsome service the software did an great job in convert raster for machining, but on another hand i have a hard time learn how to cad in this software. this machine would be more popular if the software can import different cad file.
good inovation but need to improve in the design.. i own industrial CO2laser, water jet and cnc Router, but still love to see one of this machine in my garage working ...
From your post I think I can help with a few things.
1) The "Muffler" is just that. It is not designed to draw off (vacuum) dust & dirt.
2) Lots of us use a Vacuum insert that nests under the cover. I have a DIY project listed in my signature below, and there are others you may buy ready made. They are designed to work well with a Dust Collector of 600 CFM or better.
3) If your Sand Paper belts are being damaged, you have something else that needs attention. Are they rolling, or tearing?
3A) Rolls are caused by things like warped boards, slide bar too tight, head assembly out of adjustment, anything that forces the paper to move sideways. Your standard belt sander has an adjustment screw that can cause, or cure, that same effect. the CW/CC machines rollers are balanced by two springs, but have no adjustment screw. The springs do a good job unless they get damaged while changing belts (but you should never even touch them while doing a normal change).
3B) Tearing is usually caused by something like a screw or nail, in the bottom to your board. Splinters could also cause the tearing. It is also possible for the "Head" to be too tight to allow the board to move well and the belts are still moving at a standard rate (friction of the board on the belt will come in to play). If a bit breaks off while carving, and the machine is allowed to it may also tear the belts.
4) A good vacuum, or frequent cleaning during carves, will negate lots of other problems. Dust under the Head Rollers will cause your Head Pressure to increase and the Vacuum and/or cleaning reduces this possibility.
5) When you need to order parts and such, for Canadian delivery, you need to contact the Canadian Distributor, George, at 613-424-6665.

I know you have other questions/problems. However, I think the above points may greatly reduce the possibility for some of those problems to occur.
AskBud