PDA

View Full Version : How to make a barrel?

Ike
03-17-2010, 09:10 PM
Say does anybody have any ideas how to make barrel slats to make a barrel with the CW? I think the angles would be 22 1/2, but not sure? then it would be curved on the outside as well as the inside.

So what does the experts think? Can it be done?

Thanks,

Ike

spalted
03-17-2010, 09:28 PM
I'm far from an expert, but still willing to say what I think.

at 22.5 degrees you would only have 8 segments in your barrel.
I think to get the barrel shape I'm picturing (whiskey barrel) you would need 32 segments or more.
Also you could only have one inch of curve length wise in the segments.

I guess it would depend on how big you were going to make it.

It seems like it should be possible though, but not by me.....yet.

Kenm810
03-17-2010, 09:43 PM
Check Barrel Staves, there's a lot shaping involved in making them :wink:

Ike
03-17-2010, 09:52 PM
I'm far from an expert, but still willing to say what I think.

at 22.5 degrees you would only have 8 segments in your barrel.
I think to get the barrel shape I'm picturing (whiskey barrel) you would need 32 segments or more.
Also you could only have one inch of curve length wise in the segments.

I guess it would depend on how big you were going to make it.

It seems like it should be possible though, but not by me.....yet.

That is about right, I don't need it any wider then 10" maybe 12". Ken, staves that is what I was thinking of, but could not remember! I know it is a process, but I would like to try!

Ike

Ike
03-17-2010, 09:53 PM
Check Barrel Staves, there's a lot shaping involved in making them :wink:

Not much of an angle is there?

Ike

spalted
03-17-2010, 09:59 PM
That is about right, I don't need it any wider then 10" maybe 12". Ken, staves that is what I was thinking of, but could not remember! I know it is a process, but I would like to try!

Ike

You getting a new Saint Bernard?

Sounds like an interesting project. You may very well be the worlds first Carvewright cooper.

Ike
03-17-2010, 10:03 PM
You getting a new Saint Bernard?

Sounds like an interesting project. You may very well be the worlds first Carvewright cooper.

Lol no it is for my soda wagon, thought it would be cool to make my own barrel. Guess it would need to a bit wider, more like 16". But the staves should be 4"-5" wide.

Ike

Ike
03-17-2010, 10:08 PM
The problem is I tried to cut the end and the designer will not let me. So I am not sure if it can be done?

Ike

spalted
03-17-2010, 10:09 PM
I haven't used the STL importer, but it seems like it would be perfect if you could make a barrel in a 3d program.

Then in Importer you could slice it into any number of segments you wanted.

Ike
03-17-2010, 10:13 PM
I haven't used the STL importer, but it seems like it would be perfect if you could make a barrel in a 3d program.

Then in Importer you could slice it into any number of segments you wanted.

You may right, but I have not bought the STL yet. Might need to do it the old fashioned way?

Ike

spalted
03-17-2010, 10:28 PM
I'm intrigued by this whole idea.

What if you ripped all you staves on the table saw including the miter angle. then, cut the outside curve on the CW.
Made a sled with a matching curve in it. and carved the inside of the staves.
Do your end cuts with a jig in the miter saw or on a table saw sled.

Strap the barrel staves together with a ratchet strap and rout a groove around the inside to rabbet the barrel head into.

Then I think you will have to slowly dry your staves in the oven to get the MC as low as possible before you put on your barrel bands.

Jeez...... this is starting to sound like a lot of work

I don't know if you planned to make it an exact replica of a full size barrel

Ike
03-17-2010, 10:38 PM
I'm intrigued by this whole idea.

What if you ripped all you staves on the table saw including the miter angle. then, cut the outside curve on the CW.
Made a sled with a matching curve in it. and carved the inside of the staves.
Do your end cuts with a jig in the miter saw or on a table saw sled.

Strap the barrel staves together with a ratchet strap and rout a groove around the inside to rabbet the barrel head into.

Then I think you will have to slowly dry your staves in the oven to get the MC as low as possible before you put on your barrel bands.

Jeez...... this is starting to sound like a lot of work

I don't know if you planned to make it an exact replica of a full size barrel

There lies the problem, how to cut the curve with the CW? That is what I am having a brain fart trying to figure out. If I knew how to make the outside curve I would carve it in a long board. To do the inside I could do it with the tablesaw by running the board across the blade. Plus the angle needed, and the dado cut.

May be a lot of work, but what is easy?!!!

Ike

Kenm810
03-18-2010, 07:17 AM
Maybe a start like this, then cut out individual staves on the table saw,
flip it so the inside of the satves are up and cut your angle on the sides --
the blocks at each end of the stave will stabilize it while cutting the angles and can be trimmed off later.

spalted
03-18-2010, 07:28 AM
There ya go Ken,

I kept thinking individual pieces.

I might have to make a barrel, and I don't even need one.

Kenm810
03-18-2010, 01:05 PM
Add a few V-Grooves "Croze" for Barrel Head and Bottom plus a deeper set for Barrel detail "Chime" and the block cut-off.
Remember it's --- all still only Hypothetical :razz:

Ike
03-18-2010, 11:54 PM
Maybe a start like this, then cut out individual staves on the table saw,
flip it so the inside of the satves are up and cut your angle on the sides --
the blocks at each end of the stave will stabilize it while cutting the angles and can be trimmed off later.

Ken very cool!!! Of course I don't have my computer and I am out of town!!! When I get back I will try it on some scrap wood!

Thanks!!!

Ike

twiceretired
03-19-2010, 04:57 PM
Ike, I know the amount of pride in being able to make wooden barrels, as an alternative however they arn't real expensive, especialy if you need them for this summer on your drink wagon.

http://www.artisanbarrels.info/index.html

good luck.

brdad
03-19-2010, 05:50 PM
I like Ken's idea better, but this came into my mind so I had to try it. Using the 60° bit should result in 12 staves. Would be much more sensible if the 60° bit could cut the full depth in one pass.

Ike
03-19-2010, 11:14 PM
Ike, I know the amount of pride in being able to make wooden barrels, as an alternative however they arn't real expensive, especialy if you need them for this summer on your drink wagon.

http://www.artisanbarrels.info/index.html

good luck.

I checked out the site, but no prices? I am not sure what is not expensive, but I have seen the cheapest at $80.00 to $100.00. The site had barrels that sit horizontal and I need mine to be vertical and about 10" to 12" in diameter and about 24" tall. I bet those on the site are over $100.00 and I need 6 so I have more time then money!

But they were great barrels and thank you for sharing the site! I have barrels already made of pine and I thought it would be cool to make my own from oak or redwood!

Ike

bergerud
01-21-2017, 02:22 PM
This is an old thread that I came across. I thought I would add to it since I am making a barrel today!

It will have 12 staves of oak. I am carving them four at a time since I need the grain to go across the board as it saves time and is nicer to carve this way. The stave is actually calculated as opposed to being drawn. This is one of my favorite things to do; calculate and then carve.

Sorry but the mpc is Designer 3. (The auto floor feather of 1.187 caused me too much grief.)

I will post more as it comes together.

oscarl48
01-21-2017, 03:01 PM
Dan, very cool. What will be the final dimension of your barrel?

bergerud
01-21-2017, 03:08 PM
Almost 6" high and 4.5" wide.

normrichards
01-21-2017, 06:28 PM
Looks really cool, It is times like this I think of upgrading from 1.87 then I look in my wallet. LOL

bergerud
01-21-2017, 06:48 PM
Sorry, I try do do things in 1.187. If it works out ok, I could make a pattern. So far it is not as exciting as I thought it would be! A lot of carving for a sort of boring object.

Gluing these all together is going to be a challenge.

normrichards
01-22-2017, 01:27 AM
put blue painters tape around it with the rubber bands on leaving one stave un taped on one seam. Take off rubber bands and unroll barrel, put glue on seams then roll the tape back into the barrel and put the rubber bands back.

CarverJerry
01-22-2017, 08:25 AM
This is an old thread which brings up a question, does anyone know what happened to Ike? He was a very active member years ago. I think he moved if I remember right.

oscarl48
01-22-2017, 10:40 AM
Jerry, Ike recently checked in to say hi but did so in the test forum so not sure if many folks got to see the entry.

bergerud
01-22-2017, 10:58 AM
put blue painters tape around it with the rubber bands on leaving one stave un taped on one seam. Take off rubber bands and unroll barrel, put glue on seams then roll the tape back into the barrel and put the rubber bands back.

That was how I got the barrel together for the picture. Since my barrel is tapered, I can use zap straps just like the rings are used on real barrels. Tighten the zap straps on the thinner parts of the barrel and the force them down to the thicker parts. I think I will just focus on gluing one seam at a time.