PDA

View Full Version : just put 162 junk upgrade in

CraigR
03-17-2010, 11:33 AM
Just put the 162 upgrade in and did a couple signs with centerline and they look just awful too awful in fact to give to the guy so in the trash with more wood. Where do I download the older versions of the software??

twiceretired
03-17-2010, 12:24 PM
This link should give you 1.153

http://www.carvewright.com/downloads/designer_1_153.exe

Good Luck

CraigR
03-17-2010, 01:02 PM
Thank you! It almost seems like they don't even test some of these releases.

Jeff_Birt
03-17-2010, 02:19 PM
If your having problems why not post the MPC files? That way other folks can look at them and see if the issue is software version related or design related. Just griping isn't going to help anyone, least of all yourself...

CraigR
03-17-2010, 02:49 PM
Working fine again with old software. I will try to remember to post the mpc if I try another upgrade. I just thought for the money this stuff should work from the get go and is not for us users to waste our time and money in wood experimenting with it. So far I can think of 3 separate upgrades in the past where because of the upgrade in software I broke 2 bits and wasted way too much wood thinking it was me and not the machine and only proved it to myself by reverting back to an older version of the software.

cnsranch
03-17-2010, 03:32 PM
Craig - I feel your pain, but take a pill.

There's no way the software guys can test every possible function to test for bugs - just can't happen. Sometimes a bug doesn't show until we combine one function with another - too many possibilities to be 100 percent certain all's well.

I'm no expert, but I tend to wait a week or two with every upgrade before I download the new version - there's almost always a bug or two.

So far as the cost is concerned, we're not being charged a dime for the upgrades, and if you think about it, that's a pretty good deal.

dbfletcher
03-17-2010, 04:27 PM
Craig - I feel your pain, but take a pill.

There's no way the software guys can test every possible function to test for bugs - just can't happen. Sometimes a bug doesn't show until we combine one function with another - too many possibilities to be 100 percent certain all's well.

I'm no expert, but I tend to wait a week or two with every upgrade before I download the new version - there's almost always a bug or two.

So far as the cost is concerned, we're not being charged a dime for the upgrades, and if you think about it, that's a pretty good deal.

I bit my tougue when you made that comment before. It just isnt true. Read Microsoft Code-Complete for a good start on code writing that has built in self test to insure code functions as designed. Or look at a lot of code in the linux camp. It is possible to write software that self checks every function to make sure it reponds correctly to the expected ranges of inputs for any given function. I know.. you wanna jump right in and point out how many bugs there are in MS products... this is true.. that vast majority of those are exploits... feeding a subroutine parameters that it is not expecting. Craig is refering to basic fuctions of the software... these are easily tested with a script.

And.. we are talking about a compnaythat was founded by people with a NASA background. I have to beleive they have a stong foundation is testing procedures. I just dont see much of that testing philosophy from the end user perspective.

I'm not trying to bash LHR.. but I think Craig has a point. Better testing needs to be done on the LHR side before software is released. Or better coding practices on the front side would reduce code changes even introducing new errors.

Doug Fletcher

cnsranch
03-17-2010, 04:47 PM
Doug, I'm not trying to pick a fight. Frankly, my level of experience with computers is limited to using it, not programming, or understanding code.

I do know, however, that no one is doing any one else any favors by implying that TPTB are turning out crap because they either don't care, or don't have the expertise to do otherwise.

dbfletcher
03-17-2010, 04:54 PM
Doug, I'm not trying to pick a fight. Frankly, my level of experience with computers is limited to using it, not programming, or understanding code.

I do know, however, that no one is doing any one else any favors by implying that TPTB are turning out crap because they either don't care, or don't have the expertise to do otherwise.

I agree.. I think the "crap" comment was just out of frustration on Craig's part... so I didnt really focus on that part of it.

As an aside.... does anyone know if the software is released to all of us at the same time? Or are there a handful of "select users" that get to run it thru it's paces before it is set for general release.

If not.. perhpas it would benifit everyone if LHR considered a beta program. Those who sign up for it know the software will most likely have some issues... so no whining allowed... and then when it is released to everyone.. hopfully most issues would be discovered and worked out by then.

Doug Fletcher

Jeff_Birt
03-17-2010, 05:41 PM
There is a beta program. Beta testers cannot test every conceivable way to use the software so sometimes things can slip through. For instance one of the recent issues with the latest release was a crash in PE when using the 'Pattern Settings' tool. There were 2-3 folks reporting the problem here on the forum and just as many (including myself) who had no problem with it. In a case like that if a problem can't be duplicated it can be very hard to track down the root cause.

On some occasions all the testing goes good but a few machines will have an odd problem or two with a firmware change so the software engineers take the feedback from those cases to make improvements.

The other issue I noticed a lot with the recent releases was a host of strange problems, random crashes, etc that were solved by doing a complete re-installation. This can happen with any upgrade as sometimes due to file corruption or other computer errors things don't go smoothly.

One other thing I have noticed after every upgrade is released is some folks blame every problem they have on the upgrade. A great deal of the time it is a design issue and not related to the upgrade at all.

In any of these cases it is only natural to feel a bit perturbed when you run into a problem, but just ranting about the upgrade does nothing to discover the cause. Posting the MPC your having trouble with is a great way to help nail down the source of the trouble as there are so many great folks on the forum who will gladly take a look-see and try it or make suggestion.

I would rather light a candle than curse the darkness.

dbfletcher
03-17-2010, 05:57 PM
Thanks Jeff for the carifications. So the next question would be.. is this an "invite only" beta program.. or is there a way for member to "sign up" to become a beta tester. I dont think I really want to beta tester myself... but perhaps there are others on the forum who might be interested.

Doug Fletcher

liquidguitars
03-17-2010, 06:17 PM
Unfortunate Crag has not giving any useful information other than he had a problem with centerline. Are we now expected to assume that the 90 bit no longer works? he is a smart guy so i expect him to try to duplicate his quality error to be useful if he had some free time that is.

LG

dcalvin4
03-17-2010, 08:35 PM
the problem i have is..when i choose a saved pattern from my favorites in designer i cannot see the pattern in the display at the bottom....i click on a design in fav. and click on my actual design to see it and if its not the one i want i delete it....its annoying ..any one else have this prob....i have dn loaded the fix as per the latest tips and trix
thanks denny
compucarve

JDPratt
03-18-2010, 08:51 AM
This is why I think many of us novices wait before we upgrade to the new software. I usually just wait for about three months after the new updates come out and look at all the problems. Everytime a new update has come out there have been several problems that are eventually worked out. I think some of it comes down to $$$. The more testing and fixes that need to be done before release probably costs money (I dont know this for sure, but it is an educated guess). It is probably easier and cheaper for some testing and then release for us, the end user, to find the rest of the problems. With that said, I want to thank all of you for being my Beta Tester.

PCW
03-18-2010, 09:57 AM
If I have a choice between paying for updates or receiving free update that are not 100% bullet proof well I don't mind the occasional problem here and there at all.

We sometimes don't realise just how much we miss something until it's gone.:D

Icutone2
03-18-2010, 10:23 AM
Dan I agree with that also!
Lee

dbfletcher
03-18-2010, 10:39 AM
If I have a choice between paying for updates or receiving free update that are not 100% bullet proof well I don't mind the occasional problem here and there at all.

We sometimes don't realise just how much we miss something until it's gone.:D

Fair enuf... but keep in mind some people ARE paying for it.... I dont remember the names or posts offhand, but one user said he had two cutout bit break due to the slower spindle speed with drill function in 1.61 (fixed in 1.62)... and i remember a post about the spline stuff changing so you may have to "rework" old projects that ran fine on previous versions.

I agree.. i also like the "free updates" we have historically recieved... and I hope this trend continues... but lets not decieve ourselves in to thinking there is "no cost" inccured for all users with some of these updates.

Doug Fletcher

liquidguitars
03-18-2010, 10:44 AM
I vote for Al, Doug and PCW as new testers..

It's a fun job "not" and you get to supply all your own parts and bits..

LG

al2888dj
03-18-2010, 10:46 AM
using new software win.7 works great

gumbo
03-18-2010, 08:02 PM
I read a post some time back that Jeff tells how to save the old version as a copy of the old program and install the newer version and be able to run either version depending on which one you open. Does anyone remember this and or know where I can find it?

fwharris
03-18-2010, 08:29 PM
I read a post some time back that Jeff tells how to save the old version as a copy of the old program and install the newer version and be able to run either version depending on which one you open. Does anyone remember this and or know where I can find it?

Gumbo,

Go to C:\programs\carvewright folder. select the cw folder and copy. It will make a copy called "copy of" .

When you do the upgrade it will install over the carvewright folder and leave the copy as is...

to run the old version you will need to go into it folder, fine gui.exe, right click and create a short cut to your desk top....

gumbo
03-18-2010, 09:36 PM
thats it, that is exactly what I read but couldn't remember the details.

Thanks for the help

SteveEJ
03-18-2010, 10:55 PM
I have read all of the posts in this thread. Some make sense and others don't. To be clear, software can be completely tested prior to release. It is called "regression testing" and happens all the time in systems that cannot fail. It takes time and money to do so. We just had a major system by a LARGE and well known vendor fail a regression test just recently. Because of this it was not installed on existing systems and will not be until it is working correctly and regression testing verifies it. So, those that say that all functions cannot be tested are wrong. Now, there are good reasons why a non-critical software application (Designer) are not regression tested. They are not critical AND it costs way too much to do. So, where does that leave CW users? Simple, don't upgrade if: 1 - you have to turn out a product that you know you can do with the current version, 2 - you can wait for the bugs to be fixed and others that you trust to say they are having no issues. If you have that need to run the latest and greatest even if there are problems then have at it at your own peril..

Have a GREAT day! :)