PDA

View Full Version : Gunk Industrial Chain Lube With Moly and fried cable?

Shawn Gillies
09-20-2006, 03:17 PM
Well i have tried every local store for the Gunk or Liquid Wrench and went so far as to e-mail Gunk to find a location that sells it. I went to the local NAPA store that Gunk said carried it and they can't even find it in their listings! My cable started to get very hot and smelled like burnt rubber a few weeks ago and i guess it's now literally cooked. I guess i'll have to buy a new cable :cry: I am almost afraid to even use the CarveWright. I'm not the happiest camper right now!!

Also is there a toll free number for CarveWright?

S. Gillies in Canada

crawls
09-20-2006, 04:51 PM
Shawn,

We don't have a toll free number. So send me a PM with your telephone number and the best time to reach you. We may be able to solve your problems without too much hassle.

BobHill
09-21-2006, 07:33 AM
Shawn,
I finally found the Gunk "Industrial Chain Lube with MOLY" at HOME DEPOT. LOWES did not have it. They had Gunk, but it was cycle and farm chain lubricant with petroleum, not MOLY.
Bob Hill
Tampa Florida

rmacke
09-21-2006, 08:20 PM
I found Industrial Chain Lube with MOLY at Ace Hardware in K.C.

pkunk
09-21-2006, 09:43 PM
Here's an interresting turn. Here in Questa, NM, MolyCorp has a, you guessed it, a moly mine. Bigest employer in the county! Had to special order 'Gunk" chain lube 'with moly'. :oops:
Guess where this mega company does all their parts & lube buying-

The local Ace hardware. :D :D :D

soomro
09-23-2006, 12:47 AM
Guys, I saw the Gunk Chain Lube at Home Depot as well. However, before I went to Home Depot, I found Coastal Industrial Moly EP Grease in a can, which has Molybdenum Disulfide in it. The engineer side of me says, this is better than a thin film of Moly a spray can would leave.

CW guys if you agree to warranty the related parts in the machine, I'll be happy to be your test pilot on this grease and let you know how it works. I am sure you can't possible try all the different lubricants there are. Please send me a private or public reply letting me know if that's okay and if so, what do you want me look for and any data I need to record. I have about 90-minute carving project waiting plus and another 40 minutes worth for other parts.

Thanks
Munawar

Shawn Gillies
09-23-2006, 08:17 AM
edited

Jeff
09-23-2006, 02:06 PM
Chris Rawls is definitely an LHR employee. In fact, he is the son of Mary, the person who answers the phones.

Jeff

Shawn Gillies
09-23-2006, 04:11 PM
edited

Jeff
09-23-2006, 04:21 PM
Two things that I should have added to my previous post: I would have been much more accurate by saying Mary, the unbelievably friendly person who answers the phones! The other thing is a suggestion. If you don't feel comfortable PM'ing Chris, just call the long distance number and ask him to call you right back. I have done that when my peak minutes were getting low and Chris seemed to be very happy to do it.

They really do bend over backwards to help.

Jeff

Shawn Gillies
09-26-2006, 05:39 PM

Ron Baird
09-26-2006, 06:56 PM
I can not believe all the flap over obtaining and using a bit of moly lubrication. The purpose of the moly is to lubricate the inside parts of the drive cable. the thinner lubrication will soak into the cable and reduce the friction of the inner windings rubbing against the outer windings. Moly grease will probably work well to lubricate between the drive cable and the cable jacket but it may not get into the center of the cable. I cleaned my cable with varsol then immersed the cable in Moly Slip (which is pure Moly) for a few days. The real test is to run it and monitor the temperature of the cable if it is getting hot it is not well enough lubricated,if it is just warm and staying the same temperature it is good.
These M/Cs are still being developed and improved and the CW guys are trying hard to improve them, they appreciate all the input and suggestion you can give them. I have had lots of problems with my M/C but it always gets fixxed and it works much better and is easier to use than it was last February.
The more you hep them the happier you wil be.

BobHill
09-26-2006, 07:13 PM
Ron,
Besides the need to lubricate to keep the cable heat down, the type of lubricant can't be something that will seep into the head and hurt the bearings there, which many such lubricants that are not MOLY will do.
Bob

JVallario
07-31-2008, 11:17 PM
man this stuff is tough to find. Kragen - Pep Boys - Napa Auto - Home Depot - Lowes -Graingers - Ace Hardware - Tru Value. Nobody has it. Even email Gunk Inc but havent gotten an answer. Anyone know if CRC Industries 03084 Dry Moly Lube is the same thing?

Cbrown
07-31-2008, 11:43 PM
JVallario - I found the gunk with moly at the local CarQuest.

Kenm810
08-01-2008, 06:15 AM
JVallario

Try calling a few of your local motorcycle shops,
that's where I found mine

ChrisAlb
08-01-2008, 06:41 AM
Hey folks, try this. I've found it to be the best and you can get it at just about any auto parts store (NAPA for me) and even some Wal-Marts. Cheap long lasting and 40% moly. Since using it (months now), my flex shaft never even gets warm and I go 40 hours EASY between lubes.

http://www.carvewright.com/forum/showpost.php?p=53871&postcount=4

cnsranch
08-01-2008, 09:01 AM
I second Chris' recommendation.

I couldn't seem to keep my flexshaft's temp down - lubed it from the beginning with Gunk with Moly. The stuff is almost like water, even soaked the shaft overnight - no good.

I ordered the Crane Cams stuff from my local Napa dealer - they had to get it from their supplier downtown, took two days. It's real thick (viscous for you engrs) it is superb. I've got about 15 hours on the shaft since applying it, one 9.9 hour carve, never got above warm to the touch.

Sure wish LHR would just go ahead and recommend this stuff, would save a lot of headaches (I know you're listening, or do I need to SPEAK UP? :p )

If you can't find it locally, just do a Google search - you'll find it.

liquidguitars
08-01-2008, 09:46 AM
I could not find the Gunk brand of lube so i using
chain lube for my dirt bike. :eek:
after 4 months seems to work well, also i think that some lubes will eat the RPM sensor??

LG

cnsranch
08-01-2008, 09:53 AM
As watery as that stuff is, I was also concerned about it running down into the sensors. Some threads (from Jeff Birt, I think) warn against getting the lube into the cutting head, as it will burn up the bearings.

ChrisAlb
08-01-2008, 12:07 PM
That, along with other reasons, is why I use Crane-Cam. It doesn't liquefy and run.

Woodman
08-03-2008, 04:53 PM
The cranecam assembly lube is darned good stuff! My shop isn't air conditioned yet and it was 90 degrees this morning in my shop. When I measured my shaft assembly the highest reading I got was 112. 22 degrees above ambient at 20,000 rpm is fine by me. To the touch, it just felt warm. I checked under the top hat and found some traces of the stuff on the very inside of the the top hat and none on the spindle after an hour and a half worth of carving. That seems a better solution than the chain lube for me since I truly believe that I ate a spindle bearing that way. I'm gonna stick with what Chris says. . . . . Pete

ChrisAlb
08-03-2008, 05:08 PM
Pete,

If you find any trace you might be "just" a little heavy with the lube. After about 6 or 7 lubes now, and after 38 hours of carving, not a spec under my hat.

Great Stuff huh?.......http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

SharonB
08-03-2008, 11:42 PM
Couldn't find Crane-Cam at Napa or other locations here in Central Oregon. A gentelman from the local Napa store gave me a sample of "ARP Automotive Racing Products...Specially formulated Moly based Assembly Lubricant" It has an effective lubrication range of: -30F to 750F. The consistence is between a gel and a paste.
It doesn't list any graphite as did other brands of assembly lubricant that the stores carried.
DOES ANYONE SEE A PROBLEM WITH TRYING THIS PRODUCT?

Woodman
08-04-2008, 04:28 AM
I'll keep a close eye on it! I don't think it should be a problem because it truly was just a trace on the very inside of the hole of the hat and I cleaned the hat out quite well and didn't see any of the stuff on the spindle. I cleaned that out too just to be safe and didn't get any black on the paper towel when I did. I'll see how it goes but the way this stuff sticks I don't think it's gonna travel anywhere. After an hour and a half at fairly warm temps it seems quite content to stay where I put it. I'll check on it tho, Oh wise one!

jj8950
10-01-2008, 08:38 AM
Hey folks, try this. I've found it to be the best and you can get it at just about any auto parts store (NAPA for me) and even some Wal-Marts. Cheap long lasting and 40% moly. Since using it (months now), my flex shaft never even gets warm and I go 40 hours EASY between lubes.

http://www.carvewright.com/forum/showpost.php?p=53871&postcount=4

and what is the exact product name?????Did a search for Napa for me and came up blank

Kenm810
10-01-2008, 08:53 AM
jj8950,

Here ya go,Info From LHR
We have found that a penetrating lubricant containing solid molybdenum
disulfide particles (moly) yields superior results. You can think of the
moly particles as millions of tiny ball bearings. This lubricant is
available at most Ace Hardware stores under the names of Liquid Wrench
Industrial Chain Lube (with moly) and Gunk Industrial Chain Lube With Moly

cnsranch
10-01-2008, 10:12 AM
Here's the stuff - it is the best - doesn't run into the top hat, keeps the shaft cool it's worth what you have to pay.

I called my local NAPA dealer, they had to get it from "downtown", took a couple of days. They weren't really familiar with it, they couldn't believe it cost $9 for two one ounce packets. I'm telling you, I've used 1/10th of one packet, put 20 hours on the machine since, and with a digital thermometer, my shaft does not get above 95 degrees.

Crane Cams Assembly Lube 99002-1

al2888dj
10-01-2008, 11:18 AM
crane cam works great you can get it at jeggs also

Jvicaretti
10-01-2008, 05:46 PM
with their oils and lubricants

jj8950
10-01-2008, 10:21 PM
Here's the stuff - it is the best - doesn't run into the top hat, keeps the shaft cool it's worth what you have to pay.

I called my local NAPA dealer, they had to get it from "downtown", took a couple of days. They weren't really familiar with it, they couldn't believe it cost $9 for two one ounce packets. I'm telling you, I've used 1/10th of one packet, put 20 hours on the machine since, and with a digital thermometer, my shaft does not get above 95 degrees.

Crane Cams Assembly Lube 99002-1

Thanks for the info.....I have been to all the dealers for Gunk and noone carried it.....Now to see if I can find this.....I live in NYC

jj8950
10-01-2008, 10:34 PM
Found it at partsamerica.com

Cranes Cam Lube

99002-1 2oz $9
99004-1 16oz $41 Northernautoparts.com $31
99008-1 4oz ?

stoneinsc
10-08-2008, 02:01 PM
I called Gunk and the product order # is L716 and is only $3.95 for a 15 oz spray can.....

www.gunk.com ....on the right side of the main page is a tab for "consumer buy"....the next page has a "search"......key in the # and you are there!

HTHs
Dick

cnsranch
10-08-2008, 02:06 PM
Be careful with that Gunk - it's runny, not a lot thicker than water and will run down into the tophat - not a good thing for the machine. The Crane Cams is still the best due to its viscosity.

JRBauer
05-13-2011, 05:12 PM
OK, I've tried Home Depot, Kragen, Sears, Lowes, and Orchard Supply. I tried to order it on-line through Amazon, but the vendor cancelled the order because they could not ship a hazardous material. What next? Where can I get this Industrial Chain Lube (with Moly)?

AskBud
05-13-2011, 05:43 PM
OK, I've tried Home Depot, Kragen, Sears, Lowes, and Orchard Supply. I tried to order it on-line through Amazon, but the vendor cancelled the order because they could not ship a hazardous material. What next? Where can I get this Industrial Chain Lube (with Moly)?Go to an automotive supply store rather than a big box store. Usually, if then don't have it on hand they'll order it in.
AskBud

quarrydesigns
05-13-2011, 06:42 PM
Tractor Supply carries it if there are any near you. Some Auto Zone or Advanced Auto also have or can order it.

Daniel
www.quarrydesignswoodworking.com (http://www.quarrydesignswoodworking.com)

jaustin
05-13-2011, 08:04 PM
Here is what I used. Got it at Advance Auto.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l89/gunracksonline/2011-04-17_15-16-27_764.jpg

Deolman
05-13-2011, 09:07 PM
If you have a NAPA Auto Supply, ask them for their Crane Cam Lube with moly. Some of the people are using that.

unitedcases
05-14-2011, 07:34 AM
I usually buy some at Ace hardware.

earlyrider
05-14-2011, 11:26 PM
Engine assembly lube also works. Its used for assembling rod and main bearings and contains moly.
Ron

cestout
05-15-2011, 06:53 PM
I have been using "Lubraplate", a high temp grease that I got many years ago for the gearbox on my Montgomery Ward radial arm saw (pictured in another post). I don't know if it is still avalible, but my flex shaft never even gets warm. I seem to soak into the cable's innerds.
Clint