PDA

View Full Version : "Y axis Stall" Brand new machine, any ideas?

spalted
03-16-2010, 03:43 PM
Well I got my new machine today, but all is not well.

After setting up the machine I loaded a board and did a manual crosscut of about six inches everything ran great.

So I decided to carve a simple pattern I made.
The machine measured the board and I installed the bit.

Then the LCD said:

"Slipped check belt"
I hit enter to proceed

Then the display said "Y axis Stall Error 303"

I tried several times, I shut down the machine pulled the card and tried again. Same error every time.

I searched the forums, but everything seemed related to dust packed in here or there. I have only made one cross cut. But I did blow out the machine to see if that helped.

I called tech about an hour ago, he said he would email me instructions, but they have not arrived yet. So I thought I would try here and see what you guys thought I should try.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I better mention I did have tape on the bottom of the board.....lol X axis but, still I had tape!

cnsranch
03-16-2010, 03:51 PM
I would try to format the card, and upload the project again.

Haven't seen the slipped belt message before.

Is your board square, and edges parallel to one another?

If the board is binding, that can cause you trouble.

dbfletcher
03-16-2010, 03:55 PM
Well I got my new machine today, but all is not well.

After setting up the machine I loaded a board and did a manual crosscut of about six inches everything ran great.

So I decided to carve a simple pattern I made.
The machine measured the board and I installed the bit.

Then the LCD said:

"Slipped check belt"
I hit enter to proceed

Then the display said "Y axis Stall Error 303"

I tried several times, I shut down the machine pulled the card and tried again. Same error every time.

I searched the forums, but everything seemed related to dust packed in here or there. I have only made one cross cut. But I did blow out the machine to see if that helped.

I called tech about an hour ago, he said he would email me instructions, but they have not arrived yet. So I thought I would try here and see what you guys thought I should try.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I better mention I did have tape on the bottom of the board.....lol X axis but, still I had tape!

Is there lot of slack in the y-belt? Does it make any sounds before the y-stall? Deos the truck move freely back and forth with the power off... but resistance when the power is on?

Doug Fletcher

Doug Fletcher

spalted
03-16-2010, 04:05 PM
The board had been planned and jointed and is very nice and flat.

The belt does not appear slack to me, and does move freely with the power off and it does have resistance with the power on.

I tried the cross cut again and this time I get the "y axis error belt slipping"

when the z truck runs to the far side of the x axis it makes a clicking sound before the bit touches that metal sensor flag. Then it returns to the side nearest the control panel, thats when I see the error message.

I will try formating the card and see what happens.

Thanks guys, I let you know what happens

spalted
03-16-2010, 04:39 PM
Ok, I formated the card and uploaded a new pattern to it.

Same thing again.

I'm on hold waiting for tech support, hope they have good news for me.

TerryT
03-16-2010, 06:08 PM
Make sure that the y truck is not hitting anything when it travels to the bit flag. They sometimes hit the wiring for the cut motor. It's way in the back so look closely.

spalted
03-16-2010, 06:09 PM
Problem solved

Tech support had me check the y belt tension.
I don't understand why it worked. The tension bolt was tight and the lock screw was tight, but whatever I did worked.

anyone else with this problem can find the instructions in the Service documentation, download the Y truck replacement PDF and look through it.

Tear it apart and put it back together, worked for me.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

spalted
03-16-2010, 06:16 PM
Make sure that the y truck is not hitting anything when it travels to the bit flag. They sometimes hit the wiring for the cut motor. It's way in the back so look closely.

Thanks Terry we must have both hit the submit button at the same time.

The only thing I notice that is different now is: It made a clicking sound other than the bit flag activating when the truck reached that side. That extra click is gone now.

Well the other big difference it it works now too:mrgreen:

TIMCOSBY
03-16-2010, 11:12 PM
hitting something (second click) and you inadvertantly moved it out of the way.

chebytrk
03-17-2010, 05:13 PM
Thanks Terry we must have both hit the submit button at the same time.

The only thing I notice that is different now is: It made a clicking sound other than the bit flag activating when the truck reached that side. That extra click is gone now.

Well the other big difference it it works now too:mrgreen:

Wierd, I just got the exact symptoms you posted. I get that clicking sound when the bit plate comes out. After it comes back to the Pad side is when I get the error and check slipped belt. Only thing different is when I turned everything off and slid the truck from side to side it wasn't smooth. It was "jumpy", but I just kept doing it "side to side" and then it finally went smooth. Tried everything again and this time no clicking when the bit plate came out and even had me change to my next bit. It was when I changed the bit that it ran the "plate" check and came back to the pad side, that I got the "slipped check belt" and error 303: abort. Could it be that I've had this machine down for about 3 weeks? I just loaded 1.62 today on PC and even formated the card. I'll go out and try again and see what happens.

dbfletcher
03-17-2010, 05:19 PM
Wierd, I just got the exact symptoms you posted. I get that clicking sound when the bit plate comes out. After it comes back to the Pad side is when I get the error and check slipped belt. Only thing different is when I turned everything off and slid the truck from side to side it wasn't smooth. It was "jumpy", but I just kept doing it "side to side" and then it finally went smooth. Tried everything again and this time no clicking when the bit plate came out and even had me change to my next bit. It was when I changed the bit that it ran the "plate" check and came back to the pad side, that I got the "slipped check belt" and error 303: abort. Could it be that I've had this machine down for about 3 weeks? I just loaded 1.62 today on PC and even formated the card. I'll go out and try again and see what happens.

If you tried to move the truck right after your power off.. "jumpy" is normal. It will be like that for a little bit until the residual power has drained from the machine. Normally 15-20 seconds after power off is enough time to wait.

Doug Fletcher

chebytrk
03-17-2010, 05:38 PM
Nope.. still not working. When it goes to touch the bit plate it makes about 3-4 knocks before touching it. It finally and comes back to pad side where it gives the "check Slipped belt" error.

PCW
03-17-2010, 06:17 PM
Jerry,

How does your Y belt tension feel? Could be jumping gear teeth.

liquidguitars
03-17-2010, 06:25 PM
the knocking sound is the y belt slack..

LG

spalted
03-17-2010, 06:51 PM
I went through the whole belt tightening process and it took care of it. I had the exact same problem.

It didn't seem like I tightened anything, but it worked.

chebytrk
03-17-2010, 08:33 PM
I opened everything up and cleaned/blew everything out. The Y belt appeared fine with no slack. I tightened down the screw (on top) anyway and continued to blow everything out. Couldn't put stuff back together cause I had to leave, but I'll try and see if it all works out tomorrow morning. Wish me luck and I'll post on my results.

spalted
03-17-2010, 08:37 PM
I opened everything up and cleaned/blew everything out. The Y belt appeared fine with no slack. I tightened down the screw (on top) anyway and continued to blow everything out. Couldn't put stuff back together cause I had to leave, but I'll try and see if it all works out tomorrow morning. Wish me luck and I'll post on my results.

There is a belt tension screw with a spring on it that is supposed to be tightened all the way. It has a stop shoulder on it. Then I tightened the lock screw on top of the tension plate.

Hope it works for you.

chebytrk
03-17-2010, 08:45 PM
Thanks, I'll check that tension screw tomorrow before I put it all back together.

chebytrk
03-18-2010, 10:37 AM
Team.... I'm up and running... thanks to you guys! I re tightened the tension belt and that must have done it. Didn't feel loose to begin with, but that has to have been it. I'm making saw dust now! Thanks again to everyone for your help. This is exactly why I enjoy being on this forum. Seems like everyone takes it personal when someone is having problems and they jump on to get it fixed right away. Thanks everyone. :)

dbfletcher
03-18-2010, 10:45 AM
Team.... I'm up and running... thanks to you guys! I re tightened the tension belt and that must have done it. Didn't feel loose to begin with, but that has to have been it. I'm making saw dust now! Thanks again to everyone for your help. This is exactly why I enjoy being on this forum. Seems like everyone takes it personal when someone is having problems and they jump on to get it fixed right away. Thanks everyone. :)

Hmmm... so that is two users now that resolved their problem by retensioning the y-belt even when they didnt feel it was loose. I guess that means that tight doesnt necessarily mean tight enough!

Is there a way to measure the proper tension on the belts? Or is it more of just a feel thing.... or if it slips... tighten it kinda thing?

Doug Fletcher

liquidguitars
03-18-2010, 10:52 AM
Hmmm... so that is two users now that resolved their problem by retensioning the y-belt even when they didnt feel it was loose. I guess that means that tight doesnt necessarily mean tight enough!

Could also mean that you have a bad bearing in the y pack motor 2. but that will show up as a out of round motion of the plastic gear.

LG

spalted
03-18-2010, 10:55 AM

Is there a way to measure the proper tension on the belts? Or is it more of just a feel thing.... or if it slips... tighten it kinda thing?

Doug Fletcher

Thats has me baffled to Doug,

The tension bolt had a spring on it and a stop shoulder so you can't over tighten it. Mine was tight to the shoulder. but I still went through the motions and did what tech told me.

I was half tempted to call tech before I put the cover on because I was positive I had not done a thing. But it worked.

Tech told me that one of the recent software upgrades made it more finicky about belt tension. But If I changed the tension it would have only been by fractional inch/pounds of torque.

It just can't be that sensitive, I dunno............ but it worked for two of us now.

liquidguitars
03-18-2010, 10:57 AM
Tech told me that one of the recent software upgrades made it more finicky about belt tension.

yes this is my thinking also I have a unit that make the same clicking sound but it works fine, it could have something to do with the better y carving we now have..