PDA

View Full Version : Dust collection

jbiagioli
03-16-2010, 09:42 AM
Has any one built a dust collection system for the carvewright machine? I have tried to hook a 8HP vacuum to the bag port but still does not clean but 1/3 of the chips from the machine.

dbfletcher
03-16-2010, 09:49 AM
Has any one built a dust collection system for the carvewright machine? I have tried to hook a 8HP vacuum to the bag port but still does not clean but 1/3 of the chips from the machine.

Try this link..

http://forum.carvewright.com/search.php?searchid=1060650

I dont beleive the port for the bag on the back of the machine was ever intended as a dust collection port.

Doug Fletcher

jbiagioli
03-16-2010, 10:12 AM
Try this link..

http://forum.carvewright.com/search.php?searchid=1060650

I dont beleive the port for the bag on the back of the machine was ever intended as a dust collection port.

Doug Fletcher I can build or find a dust collection system but it still baffles me as to where to attatch it to the machine. There doesn't seem to be a good place to attatch one and the removal of the saw dust is needed.

AskBud
03-16-2010, 10:37 AM
I can build or find a dust collection system but it still baffles me as to where to attatch it to the machine. There doesn't seem to be a good place to attatch one and the removal of the saw dust is needed.
I designed a CW Vacuum Head that attaches to the CW tray. It is "Easy On & Easy Off".

It is listed in my signature below and in the CW Projects Section, currectly on page #2.
AskBud

http://store.carvewright.com/home.php?cat=261&sort=orderby&sort_direction=0&page=2

cnsranch
03-16-2010, 11:46 AM
You might want to root around here...

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=13433&highlight=final

fwharris
03-16-2010, 11:50 AM
I can build or find a dust collection system but it still baffles me as to where to attach it to the machine. There doesn't seem to be a good place to attach one and the removal of the saw dust is needed.

I also have a top mount collections system (DC-Insert) designed to the CW/CC machines. http://www.ringneckblues.com/Dust_Collector_Insert.php

A simple modification to the cover door is all that is required.

It is set up for hooking up to a dust collector. Using a shop vac to run a dust collections system is not very effective as they do not move the air like a D.C. plus you have the noise, higher static electricity and the chance of burning up the motor as they are not designed to run for long periods of time.

LargeAdam
03-16-2010, 11:57 AM
http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=13400

Digitalwoodshop
03-16-2010, 12:41 PM
This is what I made and it has worked for 3 years....

AL

hess
03-16-2010, 02:10 PM
I'm running 3 units with Ring necks hood works great I do a lot of Corain the hood will:-D remove it

BBrooks
03-16-2010, 04:07 PM

And nobody mentiond the bag port is not for chip or dust removal!
You can hook up a downdraft system to remove dust from the slot in the bottom of the machine but it does not work well for wide boards. Shop vacs are not well suited for dust collection on any woodworking equipment.
I use a RingNeck Blues hood with a 650cfm Jet DC and it works great.
Cheers,

cnsranch
03-16-2010, 04:09 PM
And nobody mentiond the bag port is not for chip or dust removal! You can hook up a downdraft system to remove dust from the slot in the bottom of the machine but it does not work well for wide boards.

Right on both counts.

I originally build a table with a downdraft under the machine - no good.

eelamb
03-16-2010, 06:04 PM
I use the dust collection from fwharris too, and recommend it highly.
http://www.ringneckblues.com

AskBud
03-16-2010, 07:23 PM
Once you have a good "Vacuum Head", I feel you no longer need the downdraft.
As you know, when you have wide boards there is little or no way for external air to enter the cutting area. This is due to the rollers, and sandpaper belts being compressed against the board and restricting possible air-flow.

I took this theory and reversed my thinking on the old downdraft system and reasoned (and tested) sending the air that was vented via the muffler into the old DD piping. This gives me a good source of extra air into the cutting area as long as the cut motor is active. Thus, even on the widest board I'm blowing dry air into the cutting area without having to rig another air supply. The point is to keep as much air-flow as possible to keep the unit clear of dust & chips. You notice a great difference with the cleanliness of the unit, and very little clean-up time.
AskBud

Frederick_P
03-17-2010, 11:48 AM
Here are some plans for a system you can make yourself:
http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=13433&highlight=Frederick_P

fwharris
03-17-2010, 01:14 PM
Right on both counts.

I originally build a table with a downdraft under the machine - no good.

The only time I use the downdraft is during cut outs. It helps to suck the dust out of the cuts.

To all of the DC-Insert users who have posted their comments THANKS! :mrgreen:

AskBud
03-17-2010, 01:32 PM
The only time I use the downdraft is during cut outs. It helps to suck the dust out of the cuts.

To all of the DC-Insert users who have posted their comments THANKS! :mrgreen:

FW,
What I have found, is that my Exhaust Reversal helps on cut-outs by venting the cut dust upward and the Vacuum Head(s) draws it off the project.

Further, by not attempting a Downdraft, at the same time I use the vacuum, I maintain maximum draw (vacuum) with the vacuum head.

I know, if I had a much stronger Dust Collector (600 CFM or better), I could do your "dual" method, but I only have a small DC.
AskBud

fwharris
03-17-2010, 01:40 PM
FW,
What I have found, is that my Exhaust Reversal helps on cut-outs by venting the cut dust upward and the Vacuum Head(s) draws it off the project.

Further, by not attempting a Downdraft, at the same time I use the vacuum, I maintain maximum draw (vacuum) with the vacuum head.

I know, if I had a much stronger Dust Collector (600 CFM or better), I could do your "dual" method, but I only have a small DC.
AskBud

The majority of my cut outs are full pass so I cut down the air flow to the top mount and open the DD full flow. I to have a small DC @ 650 cfm. Would love to have a bigger unit but $$$$$ and right now for what I do it works...

jaroot
04-21-2010, 08:26 PM
As long as you are "rooting" around, here's our setup.

;)
You might want to root around here...

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=13433&highlight=final

will george
04-21-2010, 10:13 PM

I use a Big Box Vacuume. SO called 5 Hp? Not sure. I modified the water pickup nozzle and used some 1/4 inch plywood glued onto it.

I have to cover the nozzle opening with masking tape on the areas that the wood is not below it. Works for me!

thomaswarren3
04-24-2010, 09:08 PM

I built a down draft box out of 2X6's and a 3/4" plywood base. I attached the CW on to the top of this. I used a 4" line to the side of the base. I also added a second 2" line to the exhaust port of the motor and tied this into my dust collection system as well. this stops all that really fine dust escaping though the cloth bag originally provided. I get very little dust escaping and most everything remains clean while the system is running. I get some sawdust collecting on the shelf below the clear lexan cover but beyond this all is well. I use a Powermatic PM1300 as my collector.

Good Luck
Thomas

bjbethke
04-24-2010, 10:33 PM
I owned my machine since Dec 2007, I think it is a great machine; this machine and my Legacy machine generate lots of Trash, (That's great to keep me warm in the winter).

THE COVER;

Through out of the past few years I had to take this thing apart a few times, With all the close cover stuff and the Z-axes errors - I think that cover part is useless, also the right side panel – both store the dust under the belts. I removed them both. (The cover keepers on my machine failed - check my post's)

I have now modified my Dust/rid thoughts. And still not damage my machine so I could buy a new cover that failed and replace the side panel. I might need money some day??? :)

This is the way did it, see photos

The motor hose works to move the dust.

Capt Bruce
04-26-2010, 10:04 AM
Now that's what I call a minimalist machine BJ. It's got to be just a bit noisy in your shop.

http://forum.carvewright.com//attachment.php?attachmentid=33223&d=1272166132

CarverJerry
04-26-2010, 12:47 PM
Almost looks like some kind of proto type of machine with out the finishing touch......but it still works.......

DocWheeler
04-26-2010, 07:05 PM
BJ,

I noticed that you ran a hose from the "muffler" to your vacuum line. I know that it has a small bore, but there seems to be a lot of air being moved; doesn't it affect the air you can move through the 4" opening in the machine?

I was considering taking the "muffler" exhaust into a filtered area with the exhaust from that being fed into the carving area in addition to the one that you have.

I would appreciate your comments as I am still in the design stage.

CarverJerry
04-26-2010, 07:27 PM
Hey Doc, not sure if you've seen any of my posts but I use the muffler air and shoot it into the slot where the Y asis is. I use a hose from a small shop vac that just happen to fit perfect and pinch it a bit then put it in that slot over by the flipper plate. It keeps a lot of air moving and my ringneck adaptor picks it up. If you want I can put some pics on here tomorrow.

CJ

DocWheeler
04-26-2010, 07:55 PM
Jerry,

Yes, I saw your posts. My concern was not so much the introduction of fine dust back into the machine as it was a worry that the tubing would eventually clog if I fed it into small tubes in the carve area. That is why I wanted to filter it somewhat before sending it into the carve area.

There seems to be quite a bit of volume, that was what concerned me about feeding it into the DC system.

CarverJerry
04-27-2010, 06:16 AM
I may be wrong on this one but I wouldn't think that it would clog your tube, that is unless you plan on making a manifold to provide you with multiple ports. I would be a little concerned that if you do use a manifold that you could restrict the air flow from the cut motor and may cause it to over heat. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the air from the muffler a way for cooling the cut motor?

CJ

chebytrk
04-27-2010, 08:28 AM
I may be wrong on this one but I wouldn't think that it would clog your tube, that is unless you plan on making a manifold to provide you with multiple ports. I would be a little concerned that if you do use a manifold that you could restrict the air flow from the cut motor and may cause it to over heat. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the air from the muffler a way for cooling the cut motor?

CJ

Hey CJ,
If you would please post a couple of pics, I'd appreciate it.
Thanks,

CarverJerry
04-27-2010, 09:48 AM
Ok, hope these are big enough to see. I've also included a pic of the I-switch that I use on my vacuum to when it's done carving the vacuum turns off as well.

CJ

bjbethke
04-27-2010, 12:52 PM
BJ,

I noticed that you ran a hose from the "muffler" to your vacuum line. I know that it has a small bore, but there seems to be a lot of air being moved; doesn't it affect the air you can move through the 4" opening in the machine?

I was considering taking the "muffler" exhaust into a filtered area with the exhaust from that being fed into the carving area in addition to the one that you have.

I would appreciate your comments as I am still in the design stage.

I do not see any bad effects to run a hose from the muffler to my vacuum system. The muffler sock developed holes almost the first time I used my CW unit. I have my DC unit built into my stand, and blow all the chips through the wall of my shop through a four inch hose.

The clear plastic hose I use, 7/8 inch OSD, replaces the air duct that was built into the black cover that failed.

The system is not any noisier with out that cover; my DC motor makes more noise.

cnsranch
04-27-2010, 12:56 PM
BJ - that looks like something out of an Arnold Schwartzenegger movie (try getting that spelled right):mrgreen:

myshop1044
04-27-2010, 06:47 PM
There is only system that worked for me. I have reduced my dust/corian dust or any other type of dust to a mimimum. Why try to reinvent the wheel and I', sure there others that will support their version of the DC attachments but there is only one for me and that is:
D.C.-Top Mount Insert @ Ringneckblues.com Get the dust out!!

It is simple to use and install, my machine stays very clean and I can say I have not had any more dust problems since.
I have a 2.5 hp vac system hooked directly to the Cw, 1 hooked up on the exhaust port and 1 on the DC insert port and it does the job.
It provides a continuous draft all the way across the surface of the carving area.

just my input for what it is worth.

Myshop1044

fwharris
04-27-2010, 09:43 PM
There is only system that worked for me. I have reduced my dust/corian dust or any other type of dust to a mimimum. Why try to reinvent the wheel and I', sure there others that will support their version of the DC attachments but there is only one for me and that is:
D.C.-Top Mount Insert @ Ringneckblues.com Get the dust out!!

It is simple to use and install, my machine stays very clean and I can say I have not had any more dust problems since.
I have a 2.5 hp vac system hooked directly to the Cw, 1 hooked up on the exhaust port and 1 on the DC insert port and it does the job.
It provides a continuous draft all the way across the surface of the carving area.

just my input for what it is worth.

Myshop1044

Myshop,

Thanks a bunch for the great endorsement!:D

Kix
04-29-2010, 09:30 AM
I also use Ringneck's top mount and absolutely have to agree. It is a fantastic solution. Almost all of my troubles with the CW have been cured, sucked away by the dc. Now it just needs to make me a better software operator and we are good!

I am considering pumping some positive pressure through the downdraft port in the bottom of the cw, not that it really needs it, but after all the maintenance, mods, and repairs that have gone on, it's kind of become an obsession/hobby to look at different ways to trick out my cw.

Thanks for building a quality product, Flloyd

AskBud
04-29-2010, 09:50 AM
I also use Ringneck's top mount and absolutely have to agree. It is a fantastic solution. Almost all of my troubles with the CW have been cured, sucked away by the dc. Now it just needs to make me a better software operator and we are good!

I am considering pumping some positive pressure through the downdraft port in the bottom of the cw, not that it really needs it, but after all the maintenance, mods, and repairs that have gone on, it's kind of become an obsession/hobby to look at different ways to trick out my cw.

Thanks for building a quality product, Flloyd

Here is one valid solution.
AskBud
http://forum.carvewright.com/showpost.php?p=124193&postcount=13

Jcpb321
05-03-2010, 12:19 PM
Anyone tell me about getting the cover off to make the cutout for Fredericks dust collector??

I built the collector this morning but need to modify the cover!

John

AskBud
05-03-2010, 12:27 PM
Anyone tell me about getting the cover off to make the cutout for Fredericks dust collector??

I built the collector this morning but need to modify the cover!

John
It's not hard.
PM me your regular eMail address and I'll send you a PDF this evening.
I made the PDF to assist the users that purchase my CW-Vacuum Head Project, and you will just modify the cut-out to accommodate his unit.
AskBud

CSPURGEON
05-03-2010, 01:17 PM
I bought mine used and the guy I bought it from built a table with a slot on the top the same size as the slot between the X-Axis. with a vacuum hole on the "rear" of the machine allowing for suction from below. It seems to work well with the smaller shopvac that I have now. I think a larger one would do significantly better.

Jcpb321
05-03-2010, 01:38 PM
A larger vacumm is always an asset, if you do get a larger one that uses a 4" hose change the connector to a 4" on your machine if possible, one of the big mistakes is run 4" to the machine and then use a 2" neckdown. It will work but not nearly as good!
Fortunately I do have 2 good sized vacs, a portable 1.5 and one of those monsters with a 3.5 dc motor the electric company loves

John

AskBud
05-03-2010, 02:47 PM
Here is a post I made a while back.
There are other models and methods out there, but I like my research and cost factors.
AskBud
http://forum.carvewright.com/showpost.php?p=116375&postcount=1

jaroot
05-09-2010, 11:08 AM
It's not hard.
PM me your regular eMail address and I'll send you a PDF this evening.
I made the PDF to assist the users that purchase my CW-Vacuum Head Project, and you will just modify the cut-out to accommodate his unit.
AskBud

I cut mine in place using a dremel with a cutoff blade in it.

CarverJerry
05-09-2010, 02:52 PM
Jaroot, that is exactly how I did mine too. I covered it with making tape, drew my lines and cut it with the cut off wheel and sanded it smooth, no cracks, no fuss and workes perfect.

CJ