PDA

View Full Version : hummingbird trivet

lawrence
03-15-2010, 11:09 PM
Well, this weekend my family and I spent a wonderful time in Sedona as guests with our friends at his Grandmother's ranch. She has a lot of hummingbird-themed articles around the ranchhouse and as a way of saying thanks today I made her this trivet.

The pattern came from the carvewright attachments shortcut-- I could not find the author and if anyone can point me in the right direction I'd love to thank them.

I carved the piece at "optimal" setting and the text is monotype corsiva

The trivet is 8x8 and made of mesquite and has (sofar) 2 coats of wipe-on poly. By the way, mesquite carves BEAUTIFULLY with no fuzzies and almost polished carving

I have a similarly finished (uncarved) bloodwood trivet that we use daily and it has stood up to heat for about 2 years so I'm fairly confident in it.

Thanks for looking
Lawrence

Unfinished (with apple for perspective)

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u313/ldr_klr/P1010053800x600.jpg
Final size with finish
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u313/ldr_klr/P1010058800x600.jpg

liquidguitars
03-15-2010, 11:11 PM
lawrence, Nice job!

LG

WRW
03-15-2010, 11:36 PM
Lawrence
What a great looking,thoughtful gift, and thanks for the info on the wood.

mtylerfl
03-16-2010, 07:37 AM
That came out great, Lawrence! Thanks also for the tip about Mesquite wood carving so well.

RayTrek
03-17-2010, 09:58 AM
Lawrence,
Very nice, I also would like to say thanks for sharing your project and timber uses experience.
Ray

Capt Bruce
03-18-2010, 01:44 PM
Hi Lawrence,
Nice production and finish with the Mesquite. Have not handled a piece in about 20 years and as I recall it was difficult to find in pieces (boards) that large. Oily wood as well. Did you have to take any special finishing steps before the wipe on Poly? I used to use lacquer thinner before glueing.

Thanks for sharing the project steps, and yes that is a handsom design somebody shared and perfect for your hostess.

lawrence
03-19-2010, 12:19 AM
Hi Lawrence,
Nice production and finish with the Mesquite. Have not handled a piece in about 20 years and as I recall it was difficult to find in pieces (boards) that large. Oily wood as well. Did you have to take any special finishing steps before the wipe on Poly? I used to use lacquer thinner before glueing.

Thanks for sharing the project steps, and yes that is a handsom design somebody shared and perfect for your hostess.

My friend, you have GOT to get out to West Texas-- things have changed a bit in 20 years. This pic was from my old shop in San Angelo, but I pay $8-10a bf here in Tucson and get 8/4 and 12/4 boards up to 10 inches wide (though not as long as those in Texas)
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u313/ldr_klr/wwing50.jpg
It's not really oily, but is EXTREMELY hard (and stable as a rock) It has very very little seasonal movement and doesn't blotch when finishing though I still usually do a "rude and crude" finish of blonde shellac followed by an oil-varnish mix but because of the heat-resistance I was looking for with this trivet I went with just varnish. I'm with you on the lacquer thinner (or mineral spirits) before gluing but I do this with a lot of woods. It is one of the few woods that I have successfully glued end-grain miters on without additional splines/support-- because it is so stable and the end grain is non-porus it holds an end-grain to end-grain glue joint better than any I've ever seen.

Hope I haven't talked your ears off too much here.... I get excited about mesquite- it is by far my favorite wood

Lawrence