PDA

View Full Version : STL Importer Multiple uses?

spalted
03-15-2010, 11:19 AM
As I understand it the STL Importer can import STL files (obviously)

My question is Does it have other uses beyond importing and slicing?

For example the Pattern Editor is used along side the probe, but can also edit other pattens that you have designed.

I guess I'm trying to justify the cost of the STL Importer.
I am not proficient at 3D designing, although I hope to get better at it over time. Also there does not seem to be much available for STL files that I'm interested in.

So for myself, I'm not seeing the value in buying the STL Importer yet.

Am I missing the boat, anything else I should know about?

liquidguitars
03-15-2010, 12:18 PM
STL is a saving format like DXF so any 3D model can be saved as a STL.

However to be STL compliant you need to use what called a solid model "water tight" needed for 3D systems machines, as far as i know software like Rhino can not make solid models due to the outdated nurb format. Cat Clark sub D polygon's will.

LG

spalted
03-15-2010, 01:54 PM
LG,

I have been quietly admiring your work, very impressive use of a carvewright as a tool.

You are the one person I have seen that I was sure is using STL Importer to it's fullest.

I assumed any 3d mesh could be made solid or water tight if the meshes were properly constructed. Although now that I think about it I do recall a post about hollow slices in importer. I'm guessing this is a product of a mesh that is not solid.

liquidguitars
03-15-2010, 02:05 PM
LG,

I have been quietly admiring your work, very impressive use of a carvewright as a tool.

You are the one person I have seen that I was sure is using STL Importer to it's fullest.

I assumed any 3d mesh could be made solid or water tight if the meshes were properly constructed. Although now that I think about it I do recall a post about hollow slices in importer. I'm guessing this is a product of a mesh that is not solid.

Thanks, up to the way the model is constructed Yes, but you will have a harder time with nurbs, better to build the object closed from the start if you can.

Regarding non compliant models, Designer STL will process them without much hassle.