PDA

View Full Version : 1/8" two flute cutting bit

Metalhead781
03-14-2010, 05:18 PM
1/8" two flute bit where can i find it. I had an issue purchasing my machine at woodcraft where an employee in a store took the cutting bit out for an instore customer from my machine and replaced it with some zip bit off the shelf. Woodcraft sent me another bit but the standard carvewright cutting bit is just a bad idea. I need a two flute bit for vector cutting. The cut feature is just way too slow. If i setup a 1/16 ball nose bit as a cut or a vector cut it cuts beautifully. The 1/8" bit with four flutes just doesn't hold up. Any ideas? or anywhere i could find maybe a 3/16" upcut spiral bit with 1/4" shank. I can adjust the cuts and or vectors accordingly.

Thanks in advance

MH

mtylerfl
03-14-2010, 06:34 PM
1/8" two flute bit where can i find it. I had an issue purchasing my machine at woodcraft where an employee in a store took the cutting bit out for an instore customer from my machine and replaced it with some zip bit off the shelf. Woodcraft sent me another bit but the standard carvewright cutting bit is just a bad idea. I need a two flute bit for vector cutting. The cut feature is just way too slow. If i setup a 1/16 ball nose bit as a cut or a vector cut it cuts beautifully. The 1/8" bit with four flutes just doesn't hold up. Any ideas? or anywhere i could find maybe a 3/16" upcut spiral bit with 1/4" shank. I can adjust the cuts and or vectors accordingly.

Thanks in advance

MH

Hello MH,

First, don't use the 1/16" Carving bit for cutouts. Speed settings are programmed for specific bits and you could put unnecessary stress on your chuck if bits are not used properly.

Second, the CarveWright 1/8" cutting bits hold up fine under normal circumstances - I have broken only one bit in over three years...and that was due to the cover switch (the one that controls cut motor power) not engaging when the z-truck lowered to the board. I would still be using that bit if it hadn't been for that. If you are breaking bits, it is due to some other cause - not the bit itself.

It has been rumored that a 3/16" cutting bit may be in the works, and will be for use in situations where particularly aggressive cuts are to be made in certain materials (such as thick plywood). Otherwise, you should be fine with the CarveWright 1/8" bit for normal use.

Hope that helps!

EDIT: I would NOT try to use any 3/16" cutting bit, unless or until, the software has been properly programmed for it. I imagine the RPM's and travel speed might be different than the standard 1/8" cutting bit.

Metalhead781
03-14-2010, 08:08 PM
I completely understand however all i'm trying to do is get the machines cutting ability up to speed and par for the next few weeks. After that hopefully all i'll need the machine to do is vector text carving when another cnc router arrives. As far as using a 1/16 carving bit. Just like different material different dept of cuts are required for quality as it is for longevity of the machine. A vector carve is faster and with all the limitations placed on this system you can still use the bit on a vector up to it's preset depth. Placing manual tabs by breaking the figure at an inserted vertex and changing depths, cuts faster, better and with less load on the machine itself with the 1/16" carving bit compared to a cutpath with the 1/8" cutting bit. Obviously you don't want to try the manual vector cut path with an 1/8" bit. The flutes are too shallow, doesn't clean the cut and two too many flutes heat up due to friction. All considered the machine will allow you to setup such a vector with the carving bit. Running the carving bit as the cutting bit is slower and even less load on the machine.

I just need a two flute straight bit to cut with till i get my other machine. I am not however stupid enough to try and cut with 1/4" bit vector or not. That would cause the machine serious harm.

Dan-Woodman
03-16-2010, 04:19 PM
MH
www.woodline.com has solid carbide upcut bits part #WL1002S-ES 1/4" shank, 1" cutting length for $15.00 + postage.
later Daniel

cnsranch
03-16-2010, 04:21 PM
Dan - how do you account for the thicker bit (3/16 vs 1/8)? I guess you can apply an offset to the cut-out?

Dan-Woodman
03-16-2010, 04:40 PM
Hey Jerry
You got it , just set your offset, however your radius will be slightly larger on inside corners. I personnally don't use the cutout features, as a scroll saw cuts sooooo much smoother than a spiral bit. I was just answering MH's question about where to get a 3/16" bit.
Later Daniel

Metalhead781
03-16-2010, 06:21 PM
Thanks Dan

It's much appreciated. I've been looking all over for those. Again like the CW they're supposed to be for a proprietary item. This bit should work wonders. Hopefully soon i wont have to worry about workarounds.

Thanks Again
MH