PDA

View Full Version : back roller error

eharsin21
03-14-2010, 03:54 PM
I am having a problem again (go figure). I have a project which requires 18 different cuts (total 9 boards). Well I got to the very last cut (not without several errors to get me here) and now I have a different error that I haven't seen before. When measuring the board, after measuring width it goes into the length measurement and the board continues to run all the way thru the BACK roller and the board runs out of the machine and displays "Back roller stuck". However the back roller is not stuck and appears to be rolling properly. Is there something in the "Measurement" function that is not working properly? Or IS there something wrong with the back roller?

Please Help, Ernie H.:confused:

Old Salt
03-14-2010, 04:02 PM
the back roller has a compresion switch that get dust in shoot air on both sides of rubber washer on ends . you can hear switch by pushing up on roller.
normaly does it. Gary

eharsin21
03-14-2010, 04:24 PM
Well I can "hear" the switch on the front roller but not the back. I have cleaned it out the best I can. Is there a "SIMPLE" fix or can I bypass YET ANOTHER switch? Yes, I know, they are safety switches, but again, if it won't run, what good is it?
Thanks, Ernie:confused::confused::confused:

Chief38
03-14-2010, 04:29 PM
is part of system for measuring your wood not as safety switch, so bypassing is not advisable.

Old Salt
03-14-2010, 04:29 PM
you can take it apart , two screws on bottom hold in spring and switch take apart and clean out . not to hard to get at .

eharsin21
03-14-2010, 06:02 PM
tried to loosen screws but tooooooo tight. I am afraid of rounding screw head. I did turn on side and press on roller on both ends and spray air all around. Seams to have room. "Spungy". I don't hear back swith however as I do the front one. Is there another option other than sending in for repair?

mtylerfl
03-14-2010, 06:22 PM
tried to loosen screws but tooooooo tight. I am afraid of rounding screw head. I did turn on side and press on roller on both ends and spray air all around. Seams to have room. "Spungy". I don't hear back swith however as I do the front one. Is there another option other than sending in for repair?

I've had that error a couple times - pushing the roller up and down and rotating it around while blowing the switch area with compressed air has worked for me. Crank the head up (not too high or it will get stuck if you get less than about 3/4" from the top). Get the nozzle as close as you can to the switch area (from underneath) while blowing at it. Might take a few tries, but it should do the trick. Once, I actually saw a small 'clump' of sawdust blow out and the switch worked fine after that.

PCW
03-14-2010, 06:37 PM
Also you can verify the switch operation by doing a sensor check at the keyboard. Enter 0 then 7 scroll down to sensor check/roller sensors.

eharsin21
03-14-2010, 06:54 PM
Yeap, it says front "open" back "compressed". Does this mean the switch is BAD or could it be that it needs taken apart and cleaned? If I could loosen the screws that is.

Thanks, Ernie

mtylerfl
03-14-2010, 07:04 PM
Yeap, it says front "open" back "compressed". Does this mean the switch is BAD or could it be that it needs taken apart and cleaned? If I could loosen the screws that is.

Thanks, Ernie

It could mean either - however, I'll bet if you simply blow compressed air at it, you'll be fine. Did you try that yet?

Kenm810
03-14-2010, 07:31 PM
Here's a few photos of the switchs "Forqnc" a fellow carver took a while back
http://forum.carvewright.com/showpost.php?p=96883&postcount=1

rjustice
03-14-2010, 08:15 PM
I had problems with this switch as well before I started using the dust collector. If you are simply blowing the sawdust out, and trying to suck it out with the shop vac, I found that it wanted to build up around the switch. I my case I found that If I carefully cleaned the switch area out, it would start working again. I have not had to mess with it or replace it since I added the dust collection.. Take a look at the link that Ken posted, the pics really help..

Hope this helps,

Ron

Jeff_Birt
03-15-2010, 05:57 AM
As with many other areas of the machine, the roller switch is one of those places that if you spend 60 seconds cleaning it out after each carving session it wont give you problems. After vacuuming out the worst of the mess and wiping down the pressure rollers with a dry rag a quick puff of low pressure air to remove any sawdust built up at the front (switch side of the rollers) will keep them clean and trouble free.