PDA

View Full Version : QC Stuck - What are my options?

gwhiz
03-14-2010, 01:26 PM
...until I call LHR tomorrow!

Got my Carvewright set up yesterday. First two carves went fine. On number three I had to put in the cutting bit. Hmmm...the QC chuck was not so "Q"--it wouldn't release the bit. After a bit I got it to raise up enough to release the bit and I was off. Each bit change got harder and I now can't get it to lock a bit in place. Throughout this process I used 3-in-one oil on the bits and on the chuck, blew any dust out of the chuck with compress air, and swore profusely at it--to no avail...

I assume that I got a bad chuck and I'll be chatting with LHR tomorrow...but in the meantime are there suggestions to keep the machine working?

Thanks!

DocWheeler
03-14-2010, 01:48 PM
gwiz,

As you probably know, there are many posts about the care and maintenance of the QC, there have been numerous responses to that question. I assume that you have read some of them since you are using the most common methods of getting it to work easily.

Do the "snap" method (or whatever it is called) where you raise the collar and let it snap down until nothing else falls out of it. Be careful about blowing chips into places where chips should not be!

If you are going to continue to use the QC, take it apart and remove some metal across from where the slot is so it is more balanced. Be careful about the ball raceway on the underside.

mtylerfl
03-14-2010, 02:11 PM
...until I call LHR tomorrow!

Got my Carvewright set up yesterday. First two carves went fine. On number three I had to put in the cutting bit. Hmmm...the QC chuck was not so "Q"--it wouldn't release the bit. After a bit I got it to raise up enough to release the bit and I was off. Each bit change got harder and I now can't get it to lock a bit in place. Throughout this process I used 3-in-one oil on the bits and on the chuck, blew any dust out of the chuck with compress air, and swore profusely at it--to no avail...

I assume that I got a bad chuck and I'll be chatting with LHR tomorrow...but in the meantime are there suggestions to keep the machine working?

Thanks!

Hello,

Try giving it a thorough "bath" with WD-40 to wash out any crud or fine-packed powder in the crevices. (Spray the W-40 up into the chuck and "work it".) Lay down a bunch of towels under the chuck to protect your sanding belts. If that successfully restores your QC to new condition, follow up with a very light application of 3-in-1 inside the chuck using your finger. The oil does three things - protects against rust, helps dissipate heat, and thirdly, when applied to the three inside bearings, it helps keep the QC operating smoothly.

Dan-Woodman
03-14-2010, 03:31 PM
Here's a good tip I learned in the machine shop I used to work at. We had CNC machines with tapered tool holders and every weekend before we shut down they would remove the tool holder (with bit) and put in a paper towel. The towel would keep moisture out of the tapered head and keep it from rusting. If they forgot and left the tool in the machine ,come Monday ,sometimes they were hard to get out.
Another tip is to use you bit removal tool that came with the machine.
later Daniel

CarverJerry
03-14-2010, 05:52 PM
Get a Rock Chuck and those problems go away. I had the same problems, did everything to the book and then some and still had problems getting the darn thing to release.......so I went with the rock and my problems went away and the machine runs smoother and quiter. Just my 2 cents worth as I am also a new CW owner.

TIMCOSBY
03-14-2010, 07:25 PM
dab it into some dust and try to blow it off....not gunna happen. just my opinion.

gwhiz
03-15-2010, 12:33 PM
Thanks for all the tips guys. Since I'd tried everything else, Tech Support's 'solution' was to rap on the QC with a screwdriver handle. A few trips around the chuck and some dust started falling out...a few more and I could get a bit in.

I'll add this to my QC arsenal for when it happens again. As for the Rock Chuck--I assume that installing one would void the warranty?

CarverJerry
03-15-2010, 12:47 PM
If you had to send it back to the factory just simply change it back out before sending it in. The rock runs so much smoother and you have no tools getting stuck as I did too.

Pratyeka
03-15-2010, 02:55 PM
gwiz,

If you are going to continue to use the QC, take it apart and remove some metal across from where the slot is so it is more balanced. Be careful about the ball raceway on the underside.

Here is one method (http://fromvirtualtoreal.ca/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/QC_CHUCK.pdf) to accomplish this.

jeff412
03-16-2010, 03:21 AM
Get a Rock Chuck and those problems go away. I had the same problems, did everything to the book and then some and still had problems getting the darn thing to release.......so I went with the rock and my problems went away and the machine runs smoother and quiter. Just my 2 cents worth as I am also a new CW owner.

Same here. I even broke 5 bits with the QC. Don't let them tell you it's user error. The QC just sucks. All problems gone since Rock Chuck.

Jeff

alan.galbraith
03-16-2010, 09:27 AM
I am having the same problem. little rubber malet on the bit and it came out. The more I switched bits the easier it got, but the QC is sticking a bit.

CarverJerry
03-16-2010, 09:44 AM
Be very careful because the bit is solid carbide and will break VERY easy.

alan.galbraith
03-16-2010, 11:37 AM
I have the same issues with router bits, not wanting to come out of my router. Lite taps with the rubber malet and they come out. I would suggest also putting something below the bit, like a towel to soften the impact, if you don't catch it.

I would like to go to the rock chuck, but I'm afraid I would burn up the machine let alone burn the place down.

rjustice
03-16-2010, 07:01 PM
I have the same issues with router bits, not wanting to come out of my router. Lite taps with the rubber malet and they come out. I would suggest also putting something below the bit, like a towel to soften the impact, if you don't catch it.

I would like to go to the rock chuck, but I'm afraid I would burn up the machine let alone burn the place down.

Hi Alan,
I assume you are talking about heating up the chuck to remove it correct?... There has been another idea if you look at the tread in my signature below... Keeps the torch out of the machine...

Let me know if i can help somehow...

Happy Carving,

Ron

TIMCOSBY
03-16-2010, 11:21 PM
bit out flick the qc several time to get the sawdust out of it (unless you used oil and its gummed up inside there) you'll be amazed at the amount of stuff that will come out of it.