PDA

View Full Version : Department of the Navy seal

locovalley
03-14-2010, 12:37 PM
Has anyone carved the Dept. of Navy Seal in LHR Pattern store? I'm considering buying the pattern for a box top I want to carve for a friend. I'm especially worried about the lettering around the perimeter; it seems to be very shallow and not well defined. I downloaded the "try" file and it doesn't look encouraging in Designer.

I'll be carving black walnut and I hate to waste a nice piece of wood if the text doesn't carve well. The $20 price would be wasted if I can't use the pattern. Any input is appreciated. If anyone knows of a better pattern, that would be welcome as well.

Thanks,
Joseph

PCW
03-14-2010, 01:41 PM
Joe

Here is a pattern I made a couple months back that you are welcome to try.

Department of the Navy (http://forum.carvewright.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29397&d=1260632624)

You can remove the seal from the frame if you want.

Smoken D
03-14-2010, 01:46 PM
I purchased that one and it did not come out very well at all using Ash. I was disappointed. Had to do a lot of hand work to get the letters to show up evenly. After I did it I looked at the pattern again and inverted it. Then it seemed to look a lot better and might carve out nicely but I have not tried it since that first one. You might look at it inverted and maybe decide from there. But as I said carving as the pattern came I WAS very disappointed. If I find another Navy buddy who would like to have one, will try the inverted pattern. Also what I do is find out the person's rank and inscribe that above the Seal with their name. Made a few Army ones that came out great. Of course I am the type that gives them away to friends.:rolleyes:
Oh yea I believe I made the seal 12"x12" in size, so it was not small to mess up the letters. Just a bad pattern IMHO.

What PCW just put up looks like the pattern inverted. Probably the way to go.

locovalley
03-14-2010, 02:33 PM
Thanks for the replies. I didn't think of inverting the pattern. Sometimes the easy solution evades us.

Joseph

Kenm810
03-14-2010, 05:46 PM
This is one I found and used a while back