PDA

View Full Version : Out of Practice

MrFTAMan
03-14-2010, 12:25 PM
Hello everybody!
I bought one of the earliest model of the CompuCarve machine and used it a few times. I have bought the scanning probe and the bit set. I have been downloading the latest Software upgrades. I have downloaded a great deal of PTN and MPC files from this site and as well as purchasing patterns.
In the near future I am planning to buy the Rock Chuck.
Being the first model of the CompuCarve, is there anything I need to be concerned about, as far as upgrading this machine? I know there was issues when the first models came out and some of the people ended up sending their machines back for repairs or replacement. I hate to finally get it cranked up and suddenly the machine start messing up. It is out of warranty.
I bought it for (hopefully) for creating moldings for windows and doors, and other types of moldings, as well for wood plagues and signs.
Any of you guys still using the first batch of machines? What improvements did you do to keep your machines performing like it suppose to do?
Are the new models much better, as far as any improvements made since the earlier models?
Does the Memory card reader need a update on its firmware?
Any info you guys have to offer will be appreciated!
Thanks!
Norman

DocWheeler
03-14-2010, 01:37 PM
Norman,

Other than getting the newer Z bundle (cable and PC boards [and motor?]), you would need to read posts about the plug and wiring for the probe (and what to do with the unused wires in the Z truck).

The other things that have changed are the Y and Z motors (don't know about the X motor), they are a bit different (they might be OK, you'd better check).

As you have probably read elsewhere, there are much better ways to make moldings than the CW/CC, especially if there is more than a few lineal feet if it.

rjustice
03-14-2010, 07:55 PM
Hi Norman,
I have one of the early machines (March, 2007) and havent had to update the "Z" bundle yet. If you are going into a "mission critical" project it may be a good idea to get the update parts, as well as some other spare parts. If that is practical for you of course... otherwise i would, clean and lube the machine up, make sure it is up to temperature, and go with it as is. When you are ready to move forward with the Rock Chuck, see the info below in my signature...
Welcome back, and Happy Carving,

Ron

MrFTAMan
03-14-2010, 09:46 PM
Hi Norman,
I have one of the early machines (March, 2007) and havent had to update the "Z" bundle yet. If you are going into a "mission critical" project it may be a good idea to get the update parts, as well as some other spare parts. If that is practical for you of course... otherwise i would, clean and lube the machine up, make sure it is up to temperature, and go with it as is. When you are ready to move forward with the Rock Chuck, see the info below in my signature...
Welcome back, and Happy Carving,

Ron

Ron, what about the flexi cable?
Like I mentioned, I didn't get much use out of my machine. It was running great and did ok on carvings. I've yet to use the bit set and the scanning probe.The last time I used the machine was over a year ago.
I always blow out all the dust and debris after each use and use cover over the machine. Maybe I will be one of the lucky ones whose machines were ok.
I only sent back the machine once when a plastic part broke near one the sensors.
I wonder if the warranty is still good since I bought it from Sears?

MrFTAMan
03-14-2010, 09:49 PM
Thanks DocWheeler and Ron for your responses! :)

rjustice
03-15-2010, 06:39 AM
If you have never lubed the Flex shaft, it might be a good idea to slide it out and do that first. Be careful not to loose, or kink the long liner spring inside the sheath. I have been using the "Gunk Industrial Chain Lube with Molly" and have only had to lube 2 times since owning the machine. This stuff hangs in very well.. Wipe off any excess, as over lubing can cause excess heat, along with the excess running down into the tophat, and on the upper bearing in the "Z" truck. You should not allow any lube to get on that bearing as it will nuke it...

Hope you get off to a smooth start!

Happy Carving,

Ron

MrFTAMan
03-19-2010, 10:44 PM
Thanks Ron for the info!

AskBud
03-19-2010, 11:12 PM
Ron, what about the flexi cable?
Like I mentioned, I didn't get much use out of my machine. It was running great and did ok on carvings. I've yet to use the bit set and the scanning probe.The last time I used the machine was over a year ago.
I always blow out all the dust and debris after each use and use cover over the machine. Maybe I will be one of the lucky ones whose machines were ok.
I only sent back the machine once when a plastic part broke near one the sensors.
I wonder if the warranty is still good since I bought it from Sears?

Did you buy an "extended" warranty from Sear's?
AskBud

MrFTAMan
03-21-2010, 08:27 PM
No, Bud. I think this Compucarve has a 5 year warrranty. I need to call and find out.

MrFTAMan
03-21-2010, 08:49 PM
Norman,

Other than getting the newer Z bundle (cable and PC boards [and motor?]), you would need to read posts about the plug and wiring for the probe (and what to do with the unused wires in the Z truck).

The other things that have changed are the Y and Z motors (don't know about the X motor), they are a bit different (they might be OK, you'd better check).

As you have probably read elsewhere, there are much better ways to make moldings than the CW/CC, especially if there is more than a few lineal feet if it.
Doc, I was going to create some kind of design being carved with the v point bit for the moldings. I wasn't planning on making deep designs like regular moldings. I got power tools that can help me make the moldings you're referring to.
I saw one of the members created a molding using a pattern he bought. It inspired me with what he did.