PDA

View Full Version : Pattern Trouble

Jossef
03-14-2010, 09:58 AM
I have made a pattern twice now and have set the dimensions to be .677 from the edge of the board. I am using a board that is 24X11.125. I have saved the pattern and double checked all the dimensions. Now when the machine cuts it it is making the whole design too small and leaving it about 3" from the edge. What am I doing wrong??

Thanks!!

c6craig
03-14-2010, 10:07 AM
I have made a pattern twice now and have set the dimensions to be .677 from the edge of the board. I am using a board that is 24X11.125. I have saved the pattern and double checked all the dimensions. Now when the machine cuts it it is making the whole design too small and leaving it about 3" from the edge. What am I doing wrong??

Thanks!!

How big is the actual pattern? It sounds like you are choosing to "stay under rollers" but not leaving the extra 3 1/2" on each side. If that is the case you were prompted to scale to size, and if you chose yes it will make the pattern smaller since it is subtracting 7" from your board size...

Craig

PCW
03-14-2010, 10:07 AM
Sounds like you don't have the extra 3.5" added to the board so the machine is scaling the project down in order to keep the board under the rollers.

When the machine prompts you to stay under the rollers say no. When you say yes it will follow the 7" rule in order to stay under the rollers.

Best to add the 3.5" to each end to avoid problems.

Jeff_Birt
03-14-2010, 10:14 AM
When you run your project on the machine it will ask you a series of questions; one of them is 'Keep under rollers?'. When you answer 'Yes' to 'Keep under rollers' then machine will space the project 3" from the starting edge (and ensure that there is at least 3" on the trailing edge). This extra 3" is to keep the board under the pressure rollers at all times. If the board does not stay under the pressure rollers it can tip up and possibly break your bit. One solution is to use a sled.

Take a look at the back issues of 'Tips&Tricks' they cover the 'Stay Under Rollers?' issue, using a sled and many other things.

Jossef
03-14-2010, 10:31 AM
Yup, that exactly what I am doing. I have not carved for a couple months and I forgot to choose not to stay under the rollers. I am wasting a lot of wood!!!