PDA

View Full Version : Dust Collection

eelamb
03-12-2010, 07:39 PM
Received my DC from Floyd today. It looks great, simple to install, and remove if necessary. Looking forward to getting my DC ducts run to the CW now.

I will be looking at your site FWHarris for suggestions on grounding. Current is DC is grounded, and I have another grounding kit, but sumehow have missplaced it. But I have many K feet of 10,12,14 and 16G stranded copperwire I can strip if necessary.

Kenm810
03-12-2010, 09:19 PM
Eddie,

Here's a couple posts from a few years ago, when we were talking a lot
about grounding the DD Systems and Carvers.
http://forum.carvewright.com/showpost.php?p=28337&postcount=12
http://forum.carvewright.com/showpost.php?p=100525&postcount=22

eelamb
03-12-2010, 10:18 PM
Thanks Ken, The first attachment shows how my current grounding is set up, going to 4 machines. I just purchased the kit from woodcraft, to add 4 more outlets. Have already done the table saw, and today purchased the ducts/angles to extend the DC to the CW. Tomorrow morning I plan to install about 20' of duct work. Then the CW will have DC. I normally use the vac, with parrachute to pull a string through duct then use the string to pull the wire.

Your second attachment helped me to know where to ground the CW. That is what I was looking for. (machine/DC hood) Table is wood so no grounding there.

I see I need to get more alligator clamps!

fwharris
03-12-2010, 10:32 PM
Thanks Ken, The first attachment shows how my current grounding is set up, going to 4 machines. I just purchased the kit from woodcraft, to add 4 more outlets. Have already done the table saw, and today purchased the ducts/angles to extend the DC to the CW. Tomorrow morning I plan to install about 20' of duct work. Then the CW will have DC. I normally use the vac, with parrachute to pull a string through duct then use the string to pull the wire.

Your second attachment helped me to know where to ground the CW. That is what I was looking for. (machine/DC hood) Table is wood so no grounding there.

I see I need to get more alligator clamps!

Ed,

See you are hard at it!!:) Glad to hear the insert made it.

Great idea on the parrachute and vac. Will have to file that one away!

Yes get some good alligator clips. They work great and are easy to take off if you have to move anything around!

eelamb
03-13-2010, 02:34 PM
The duct work is in place. I use 3" sch40 pvc pipe. Fittings are the right size for the 4" flex from woodcraft. Plus easy to cut and add a "T" where ever you want it. I now have 6 items attached, and most are grounded. Speaking of grounding. The original grounding was small bare wire about 18g. I pulled it all out and pulled in 14g bare wire everywhere. Still need to run a ground wire to the table saw and I will get that done yet today. I still need to get some good alligator clips now.

I used 4" foil flex to attach the CW. Wanted something more flexable there. May at some time get the rigid alum flex for it but for now it is working. Had to laugh at myself, after getting everything to the CW, I noticed I had not put in a blast gate. So apart it came as I installed the gate.

For the parrachute, I cut the bottom from a plastic bag, then make a cut out such as to leave handles, to tie on to. This works great, let the vac pull the string, then attach the wire and pull it through.

roughcut
03-13-2010, 04:11 PM
These Dock ‘N Lock Dryer Hose Connectors make nice quick connects for your
machine to the dust collection system. I bought mine at Home depot

LittleRedWoodshop
03-13-2010, 06:03 PM
eelmb - what size collector are you using.

roughcut - thanks for the heads up ... those look great.

fwharris - makes a great dust collector ... great for those wider projects that don't allow the under mount dust collection to work. Thank you, Floyd, for a great addition to a great tool.

eelamb
03-13-2010, 06:38 PM
I am using a 1 hp, 900 cfm DC. I only use it on one machine at a time. Been thinking I need to put micro switches on the blast gates running to a relay, that turns on the DC when I open a gate.

fwharris
03-14-2010, 01:46 AM
eelmb - what size collector are you using.

roughcut - thanks for the heads up ... those look great.

fwharris - makes a great dust collector ... great for those wider projects that don't allow the under mount dust collection to work. Thank you, Floyd, for a great addition to a great tool.

Jason,

Thanks for the great review.

You can also tape off part of the intake for narrow projects:mrgreen:!