PDA

View Full Version : Y axis, bit, or both!

klingler
03-11-2010, 08:57 AM
I have searched the forum looking for a similar issue but have found nothing.

I am working with a large piece of wood - 2.25" thick. Loaded it today, started the project and started to walk away. Heard some clicking and the carve motor pulled way down. Ran (literally) back to the machine to see what was going on. The machine was still carving, but it was off on the Y axis. It was carving about .25" too far to the left. I stopped the project, inspected the machine and found nothing wrong. Restarted it just to see what happens and it seemed to carve correctly - sorta.

Here is what I know...

1. The Y axis motor makes a loud humming or grinding noise when the truck is at the far left (towards the keypad). Only happens when going through the pre-carving setup. When the truck has moved to the far left and can move no further, the motor seems to be trying to continue to move the truck, and eventually the noise stops. I don't remember my machine NOT making this noise at this position - assumed it was normal, but now I'm wondering why I didn't ask sooner.

2. The project I am working on is supposed to be 7.25" across the Y axis, but it was only carving about 5" before I stopped it. I realize this could be an error on my part, but I have used this project many times and have had no problems size-wise previously. Why it would carve the wood precisely, but smaller is a mystery to me.

3. This should be a no-brainer. When I heard the carve motor pull down, I didn't notice at first, but the 1/8 carving bit had apparently burnt the wood, and the bit! Maybe the maple wood was too hard and the bit too dull and it caused the motor to pull down. But I have only have about 60 hours on the machine and less on the bit.

4. After I completely powered off the machine and inspected it one more time, I found that the truck did not move in a normal manner across the track. As I pushed the truck to the right, it would move slowly like it should when the motor is slowing it down, then it would move fast like it was free. This change between fast and slow happened about 4 or 5 times as I move the truck once, in one direction only. When I began to move it the opposite direction, it felt engaged with the motor and continued to feel that way as I moved it to the left and the right. I checked the teeth on the belt, and the gears and found nothing wrong.

So, those are the facts. I have to believe the noise I hear from the Y motor has something to do with the problem. But the fact that I don't ever remember that noise NOT being there, confuses me.

Do I have more than one problem here?

FYI, using 1.152

mtylerfl
03-11-2010, 11:19 AM
1. The "buzzing/hum" noise is normal, as far as I know. Both my machines have always done it and hasn't caused me a lick of trouble.

2. It's possible you accidentally allowed 'scaling' to occur during the setup procedure. Double-check by reading the Tips & Tricks - ISSUE 18 March 2009 "Scaling and How To Avoid It" (http://www.carvebuddy.com/PDFs/CW_TipsandTricks_Newsletters/CarveWrightTips&Tricks_Mar09.pdf)

3. Maybe seeing your mpc would help to diagnose a possible design issue. What version of the software are you using? - many speed changes and improvements have been programmed since version 1.152 (the version you display in your sig.)

4. Possible that one or more of the roller bearings is 'seized' - watch to see if the bearings 'roll' when sliding the truck up and down - if not, give them a good bath of WD-40 to wash them out until they break free. Could also be an adjustment of the hex nuts is in order.

Let us know how you make out.

klingler
03-11-2010, 11:42 AM
1. I'm happy that I'm not the only one with the noise from the Y motor. I'll lay aside that worry for now.

2. If I had allowed scaling, the carve would have come out a little larger since the wood is a bit larger than the virtual board.

3. I'll have another look at the mpc and see if I can find any problems. I'm doubtful though, I have used it many, many times before. What version would you recommend I download. I'm skeptical on the latest, especially since i'm on a tight schedule to get these done.

4. I haven't had to look into the truck for any problem in the past. Since my problem is a lateral issue, why do you recommend looking at the bearing when moving the truck "up and down"? Which hex nut are you referring to?

REALLY appreciate the comments MT.

mtylerfl
03-11-2010, 12:07 PM
Hi John,

The hex nuts are what adjust two of the bearings on both the y and z trucks. If they are out of adjustment, the hex nuts are turned with a flat wrench to get them back to where they should be (there are detailed instructions in a couple of the CarveWright Service documents if you've never done that before). Don't forget to check all the bearings to make sure none of them are 'seized'.

Grab the truck(s) and try to 'wiggle' them. If there is any play at all, the bearings may need adjustment.

I still think some sort of scaling issue caused the smaller carve. I can think of no other way that could occur. Please read the Tips about scaling and try going through the setup again to make sure you didn't inadvertently cause the machine to scale. Of course, don't run the machine again until you are sure the y and z trucks are secure and the bearings are operating properly.

There may be other things to check as well, but start with the basics first. Hope this helps you nail the problem and get carving soon!

EDIT: forgot to mention - download and install the 1.162. I doubt that your 1.152 is directly responsible for most of the problems you are experiencing, but it might help with the bit burning issue. If you want to keep your old version working, follow the steps outlined in the following post BEFORE installing the 1.162...http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?p=123418#post123418

unitedcases
03-11-2010, 12:28 PM
I have had that clicking before and believe it or not it was a dull bit. I now take my bit after each carve and clean it with some oven cleaner. This removes all the pitch and gum buildup and makes it last a lot longer.

mtylerfl
03-11-2010, 12:50 PM
I have had that clicking before and believe it or not it was a dull bit. I now take my bit after each carve and clean it with some oven cleaner. This removes all the pitch and gum buildup and makes it last a lot longer.

That's not the noise he is referring to - it's the noise during the setup homing when the truck is at the keypad side - a buzzing/humming noise occurs. Nuttin' to do with a bit (dull or sharp) at that point.

klingler
03-11-2010, 03:31 PM
That's not the noise he is referring to - it's the noise during the setup homing when the truck is at the keypad side - a buzzing/humming noise occurs. Nuttin' to do with a bit (dull or sharp) at that point.

I think he was on the right track with his comment. Previously I had said, "Heard some clicking and the carve motor pulled way down"... while doing the carve. That I can believe is due to a dull bit.

On another note, the scaling wasn't the problem. It was the fact that I'm an IDIOT and don't know what my project looks like. It starts carving the 'small side' first - opposite to what it shows on the virtual board. I haven't carved this one in a while. That's my only excuse.

I did have a look at the bearings and everything looks good. The truck isn't loose anywhere.

I restarted the project and it's about half way done. It looks good, but I can definitely tell the bit is dull. The wood is burning at the deep carves and it's still pulling the carve motor down from time to time. I'll finish this project and wait for the new bit to arrive. Just placed an order on Amazon - $39.99 and free shipping.

I haven't had any more problems with the Y axis fouling up. Hoping this was all just due to a dull bit.

I'll let you know how it all comes out.

Thanks again for the comments. I would still be sitting here scratching my head.

mtylerfl
03-11-2010, 04:20 PM
Hi John,

Y-axis problems can definitely be caused by using a dull bit, no question. Been commented here on the forum before. Glad everything seems to be working alright for you now and that your machine seems to be in order!

klingler
03-11-2010, 08:13 PM
Finished the 5 hour carve and it turned out pretty good. The bit on the other hand is black 3/4 the up and there's burnt saw dust on it. I think I'll wait for the new one to arrive before finishing the other projects on deck.

Looks like a good time to download the new version of Designer and give it a try.

Thanks folks!

mtylerfl
03-12-2010, 07:40 AM
Finished the 5 hour carve and it turned out pretty good. The bit on the other hand is black 3/4 the up and there's burnt saw dust on it. I think I'll wait for the new one to arrive before finishing the other projects on deck.

Looks like a good time to download the new version of Designer and give it a try.

Thanks folks!

Great! Yes, the 1.162 has some speed modifications that should yield performance improvements, especially when carving in harder woods. I know that LG has commented on how happy he is with the latest modifications.

liquidguitars
03-12-2010, 10:00 AM

Thanks folks!

It's Important to clean the bits every 4 to 5 hrs regardless of the software version, then spray a little WD40 on the bit before carving will help keep the bit working smoothly.

LG

ChrisAlb
03-12-2010, 10:29 AM
]It's Important to clean the bits every 4 to 5 hrs regardless of the software version, then spray a little WD40 on the bit before carving will help keep the bit working smoothly.[/b]

LG

Precisely!! http://forum.carvewright.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

(just thought that was worth repeating buddy...lol)