PDA

View Full Version : New Flex Shaft not staying in spindle

Creekwood
03-10-2010, 11:23 AM
So I got a new flex shaft and it is just not snapping inplace like it use to .
Started a Project and notice the shaft popped out? Tried cleaning the spindle
Could the little ball bearing be worn out?

Digitalwoodshop
03-10-2010, 11:57 AM
There is a BB size ball bearing under the top hat metal clip that holds the flex in place. It has fallen out... A Standard copper clad BB is the same size too from what has been posted here....

BB Gun size...

AL

Creekwood
03-10-2010, 12:01 PM
Thank you,
After cleaning and putting the bearing back in the shaft still slides out, what I could do is turn the bearing retaining clip so the bearing is not pertraining through the little hole?

Icutone2
03-10-2010, 01:04 PM
If you do that she shaft will not go in the socket, because the ball has no ware to go and let it click in. Gust my thought.
Lee

Creekwood
03-10-2010, 01:14 PM
Yea it is sort of clicking in but not as tight as it us to be. I sent my wife out to get a box of BB's

Digitalwoodshop
03-10-2010, 02:20 PM
IF.... The flex shaft has a worn spot where the bearing holds it in the top hat... I have had to turn the top hat around 180 degrees so it holds in the back.

Twisting the clip around will put more pressure on the BB.

AL

Creekwood
03-10-2010, 02:32 PM
Thank you I did that and it did the trick. Remember that this is a brand new flex shaft.
But now I am reading temps of 170?
Going to relube I think

rjustice
03-10-2010, 06:02 PM
Thank you I did that and it did the trick. Remember that this is a brand new flex shaft.
But now I am reading temps of 170?
Going to relube I think

170 is too hot! most run around 100 deg F... Keep in mind that when you re-lube, you dont want to leave excessive lube on the shaft. This will cause it to run hot as well, and it will likely leak down into the tophat and onto the top spindle bearing, causing it to fail as well..

Hope this helps...

Ron

Creekwood
03-11-2010, 04:48 AM
Thank you everyone for your inputs, I do not logged on often, only when I have questions, but when I do, within an hour I have answer. It may not be what I want to hear, but that's another thread

Do not under strand, I prelude (with molly) the brand new flex-shaft, (the previous one the inner spring broke apart), and it still overheated.

I ended up putting a muffin fan next the shaft and that did the trick.

The unit has the Rock-Chuck. There are no vibration, so I am not sure that the bearings are going out?

The new shaft melted slightly at the top curve

Again thanks guys

rjustice
03-11-2010, 06:23 AM
Since you just relubed i would recommend that you pull the flex shaft from the top hat, and remove the 2 screws holding the top hat on. See if you have lube puddled up around the top bearing. If so, you may have cooked the top bearing. If this is what you find, first try wiping the excessive lube off of the bearing, pull the flex shaft out, and wipe off the excess lube of of it. Put it back together and see if it makes any difference..

If you have an Infrared thermometer, you could also check the Z Truck housing and see if it is hot at the top.. This would tell you a lot about the condition of the bearings.

I hope this helps..

Ron

Creekwood
03-11-2010, 06:41 AM
Thanks, I just hope the new flex shaft did ok that was 80 bucks.