PDA

View Full Version : Rock chuck and scanning probe

CarverJerry
03-09-2010, 10:43 AM
I just ordered a scanning probe and I have the rock chuck on my machine. Does anyone know if the scanning probe is adaptable to the rock chuck, or do I have to put the QC on to scan a project.
Also (and I haven't check this yet but) I use a sled for my normal projects, can any one tell me when I build a scanning sled how high should the rails be on average. Thanks guys

AskBud
03-09-2010, 10:59 AM
I just ordered a scanning probe and I have the rock chuck on my machine. Does anyone know if the scanning probe is adaptable to the rock chuck, or do I have to put the QC on to scan a project.
Also (and I haven't check this yet but) I use a sled for my normal projects, can any one tell me when I build a scanning sled how high should the rails be on average. Thanks guys

First, the Probe question link:
http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?p=105013&highlight=probe#post105013
In short, you remove the adaptor.

Second, the Scanning sled question:
I made my Scanning sled with rails that allow the probe to touch the sled floor and just miss the black plastic touching the rails. This allows me to get the most out of the probe.

When I have a piece, that is larger/higher than my rails I "shim" the rails with an added rail (on top) to avoid the rollers hitting my piece. This always allows me to get the maximum from the probe.
AskBud

DocWheeler
03-09-2010, 12:40 PM
Jerry,

the "stem"/"shank" of the probe is plastic, insert it tight against the face of the ROCK for stability.

I know that you would do that, I just felt like typing!

CarverJerry
03-09-2010, 09:17 PM
Thanks you guys for the tips on the probe. Hard to believe the shank is only plastic for as much as it costs. But I guess it's good enough since it's not taking any pressure. Would you recommend getting the tips for the probe? I want to scan my les paul guitar body and it has a perfect high gloss finish on it and sure don't want to scratch it at all.
Again thanks and this forum Rocks......

rjustice
03-10-2010, 06:28 AM
Thanks you guys for the tips on the probe. Hard to believe the shank is only plastic for as much as it costs. But I guess it's good enough since it's not taking any pressure. Would you recommend getting the tips for the probe? I want to scan my les paul guitar body and it has a perfect high gloss finish on it and sure don't want to scratch it at all.
Again thanks and this forum Rocks......

Hi Jerry,
We are definitely paying for the PE software much more so than the probe IMHO... I absolutely recommend using some kind of tip on your probe!... AS-IS, it will ruin the finish on your LP !!!...
I would love to see the scan once you get it done!

Best of luck!

Ron

CarverJerry
03-10-2010, 09:59 AM
I sorta thought so, thanks for the tip.