PDA

View Full Version : New Carvewright??

jimbu
03-08-2010, 12:47 PM
I bought one of the first Carvewrights.
It has been a nightmare from day one!
Right now it is dead and needs to be repaired AGAIN!!!
For some dumb reason I am considering buying another machine and would like to know if the current model is more dependable or will I just be having every error known to man on the new model as I have had on my present machine.
Any info will be appreciated.
Jim

dbfletcher
03-08-2010, 01:01 PM
I bought one of the first Carvewrights.
It has been a nightmare from day one!
Right now it is dead and needs to be repaired AGAIN!!!
For some dumb reason I am considering buying another machine and would like to know if the current model is more dependable or will I just be having every error known to man on the new model as I have had on my present machine.
Any info will be appreciated.
Jim

I was in the same boat... and looks like we bought our first machines about the same time with similiar experiences. I'm not going to say the new machines are dramatically different than the earlier ones... but having two machines does make troubleshooting much easier. If you have not purchased a Rock chuck... DO SO NOW! It will help eliminate so many other problems. Before the rock chuck i almost never completed a proejct with out one error or another poping up. Now with the rock, I have serveral hundred error free carving hours on both machines.

Doug Fletcher

Rapidroy
03-08-2010, 05:22 PM
I got a reman from Sears in Oct. of 09 It wouldnt turn on right out of the box someone on this list said to take off the bottom panel and have a look around and yep a plug was unpluged. I put the machine back together, broke a bit within 1 week (I didnt tape the piece of wood down tight). I didnt like that I had only one place to get bits (because of the QC) so I ordered the RockChuck, I've been carving like a madman and don't have any problems!! You must be able to take things apart and understand computers (I have gotten errors but I understand computers, turn it off, reboot, reformat, reinstall your carving etc, The Carverwright/Compucarve is one of tools I use that I really enjoy, heck If I could I would get another one! Maybe I got lucky with this one, maybe it was I changed to the RockChuck when it was a week old, maybe I just understand how it works when you mix computers and machinery together with lots of sawdust.

TerryT
03-08-2010, 07:08 PM
From day one (or at least as long as I have been involved) the burning question was why some people had no problems at all and why some could not get one good carve in a year of trying. The answer (I think) is that some of us got a good chuck and many got a chuck that was not balanced or didn't lock the bit in quite right. Those folks also had board sensor problems, door problems, x and y stall problems. Once they went through the list it would start over! Those of us that lucked out and got good chucks had almost no problems. My advice... If you buy a machine, also replace the stock chuck immediately. This will reduce your problems to user error. The stock chuck design, in my opinion, is great. The chinese production of a great idea is ... well... less than great. Some of the chucks work perfectly for hundreds of hours and others are bad from the gitgo.

TIMCOSBY
03-08-2010, 07:40 PM
with terryt on this. my first machine has no problems bought a second on and it was a nightmare from hell, sounded diff too so i think it was the chuck. they are supposed to be comming out with a diff chuck in the near future.