PDA

View Full Version : Limitations of the V90 bit

mister_zed
03-07-2010, 01:58 PM
Hi, everybody!

I wanted to carve with the 90 deg V-bit to a depth of .711, but not all the way at once, rather composing it of three parallel lines (the outer ones 0.32 deep, the middle one 0.711 deep). The idea was to get a V-shaped carving 0.711 deep and (of course) 1.4 wide. And I set the maximum depth of pass to 0.1. The Designer didn't object.

The machine warned me about the depths being a potential problem, but I decided to hit Continue, while I was watching the machine all the time with my hand on the cover - to stop if I see any slightest problem approaching.

The machine started to cut, cut at first three parallel lines of 0.05, then deepened them to around 0.16 - and then it was finished. So instead of getting a very deep and very wide line, I got myself three shallow lines.

My question is: does the machine routinely refuse to carve deeper than 0.16 with the 90 deb bit, or is it the formware that got confused by my ideas?

AskBud
03-07-2010, 03:32 PM
Hi, everybody!

I wanted to carve with the 90 deg V-bit to a depth of .711, but not all the way at once, rather composing it of three parallel lines (the outer ones 0.32 deep, the middle one 0.711 deep). The idea was to get a V-shaped carving 0.711 deep and (of course) 1.4 wide. And I set the maximum depth of pass to 0.1. The Designer didn't object.

The machine warned me about the depths being a potential problem, but I decided to hit Continue, while I was watching the machine all the time with my hand on the cover - to stop if I see any slightest problem approaching.

The machine started to cut, cut at first three parallel lines of 0.05, then deepened them to around 0.16 - and then it was finished. So instead of getting a very deep and very wide line, I got myself three shallow lines.

My question is: does the machine routinely refuse to carve deeper than 0.16 with the 90 deb bit, or is it the formware that got confused by my ideas?

Could you attach you MPC?
AskBud

TIMCOSBY
03-07-2010, 11:36 PM
better because of the bit selected. it doesnt know about the other cuts already carving the wood away. just a guese.

Kenm810
03-09-2010, 08:18 AM
I tried to duplicate in Designer, your deep V groove cut the you mentioned in your post.
I have carved deep V grooves myself using both 60 and 90 Degree bits with multiple passes,
in the past on 3/4" and 1" stock to a depth of .65 and often .375 for edge routs.

I haven't been carving lately and was,
Just wondering has something changed??