PDA

View Full Version : Design software

troydraper
03-05-2010, 10:32 PM
Hi all, is there an easy way to use the drawing software to forgive the phrase drag and drop or stretch and manipulate a design that is less complicated to use than the CW software. i am having a problem drawing a line throught the top surface of a peice of wood, ie to make a low level pyramid 6"x6"x 3/4".. hope you can offer some advice .. Thank you

AskBud
03-06-2010, 03:19 AM
Hi all, is there an easy way to use the drawing software to forgive the phrase drag and drop or stretch and manipulate a design that is less complicated to use than the CW software. i am having a problem drawing a line throught the top surface of a peice of wood, ie to make a low level pyramid 6"x6"x 3/4".. hope you can offer some advice .. Thank you
See if this Pyramid works.
I designed it on an 8" board and the depth is .740.
AskBud

TIMCOSBY
03-06-2010, 03:46 AM
out there designer is the easiest to master. get bud to explain how he did that and it might help ya. i found that reading the help file from top to bottom helped me greatly with designer. just click help inside of designer. it may not be up to datye but it will have most of what you need.

liquidguitars
03-06-2010, 04:07 PM
Cool, Bud!

Lg

mtylerfl
03-06-2010, 07:40 PM

Troy,

Currently, there is no way that I can think of to make a "flat-sided" pyramid shape in Designer. Bud gave an excellent example of a "curved-sided" pyramid (made using Designer's surface dome tools on four triangles, I assume, but Bud can fill you in on that). The "curved look" is nice, but I thought you might want a flat-sided version as another option.

If you are ever so inclined to purchase an excellent relief modeling program ($1995), there is a software product called Aspire (http://www.vectric.com) that is easy to learn and makes creating simple shapes like this for your CarveWright almost effortless. Draw a square, open the shape editor, set angle and desired height, choose add, and it makes the 3D pyramid for you.

I quickly made a 6"x6" pyramid pattern at your specified height of 3/4" of an inch for you. You did not specify a particular angle, so I just made it 30°

liquidguitars
03-07-2010, 12:06 PM
Nice job MT!

Lg

troydraper
03-07-2010, 12:35 PM
Thank you for your reply that sofware look good ? i have had a look a the vectric website and see that they have a demo, so i will take a look later..

I had a look at the file you sent me it look great , thanks but when i try to open it after saving the file it comes in to the import image box and then asks again to resave it, you enter a nake and click save but the the file will not open up for some reason ?? any idea

liquidguitars
03-07-2010, 12:43 PM
Troy,

I would not get Aspire " 2 1/2 d " but look at one of the many advanced 3D programs like Lightwave or Modo takes about 2 sec to build and it will be fully 3D giving you options you would never get using a 2.5 d program. All of the 3D software available will quickly generate a grayscale map . However LHR's STL importer is much faster and will let you slice and scale..

Lightwave modeler:

LG

AskBud
03-07-2010, 03:09 PM
Ok,
I've used this "Pyramid" question as a basis for a new lesson, and insight on what I have requested on the "Wish List".
The lesson is Pyramids & Surfaces, and may be accessed by using the "Download" section below.
AskBud

mtylerfl
03-07-2010, 04:04 PM
Thank you for your reply that sofware look good ? i have had a look a the vectric website and see that they have a demo, so i will take a look later..

I had a look at the file you sent me it look great , thanks but when i try to open it after saving the file it comes in to the import image box and then asks again to resave it, you enter a nake and click save but the the file will not open up for some reason ?? any idea

Hi Troy,

Open your Pattern List, right-click on the Favorites directory (or any sub-directory in Favorites), select "Import", and import the pattern directly. (It is already a PTN file, so you should not be seeing anything to do with importing an image at all.) Let me know how you make out. Should go right into your Favorites pattern directory, no prob.

TIMCOSBY
03-07-2010, 11:33 PM
i forgot to say welcome to the forum.