PDA

View Full Version : problem with the machine mesuring board

DougB
03-05-2010, 08:45 PM
First i'm a noob. I just got my machine a few days ago. but here's my problem. I'm laying out a progect 8"X 12". when i cut the board i'm adding 7" to the length and leaving the board at 11 5/8" wide . So the board that gets loaed into the machine is 11 5/8"x 19" . but when the machine measures it it shows 12.405 / 19.00 and scales my progect to fit a 12.4 length. Where am I going wrong ? Any help would be much appreciated. thanks in advance

AskBud
03-05-2010, 09:00 PM
First i'm a noob. I just got my machine a few days ago. but here's my problem. I'm laying out a progect 8"X 12". when i cut the board i'm adding 7" to the length and leaving the board at 11 5/8" wide . So the board that gets loaed into the machine is 11 5/8"x 19" . but when the machine measures it it shows 12.405 / 19.00 and scales my progect to fit a 12.4 length. Where am I going wrong ? Any help would be much appreciated. thanks in advance

I'm not sure how/why the board measures wider than your ruler, unless you have rails added to your wood, loaded the board wrong, or just measured wrong.

Slow down as you answer the machine questions/options!
You control what the machine will use.
If your actual board is larger/smaller than the design the unit will tell you, and "Offer" to "Scale" the project. You need to use the arrows (Up or down)
to select what you wish to do. Once you see the proper option, press the "Number" of that option. Read each screen to be sure you get all the options you want/need.
AskBud

DocWheeler
03-05-2010, 09:11 PM
Doug,

Given the sizes that you state, at the prompts tell it NOT to stay under the rollers and Place in the Center. That should set it carving for you.

If you tell it to stay under the rollers, it will add 7" to the Designer size and expect that much material (but displaying that sum minus 7" [12.4"]). I suspect that maybe the design is 12.4" with feathering?

If it really is 12.4" in designer, fasten a 1/2" or 3/4" scrap to one end and try that.

DougB
03-05-2010, 09:12 PM
thanks for responding.. this is the third progect i've tried so far and each time the machine has scaled my progect much smaller than designed. and smaller than the avalible board. i'm sure of the mesurements that i'm loading into the machine. at first i thought it was because i was cutting the width to the exact size of the width in the progect. that's why i left the extra width on.

DougB
03-05-2010, 09:13 PM
thanks doc i'll try that

mtylerfl
03-05-2010, 11:06 PM

Hello,

One of the Tips & Tricks explains the scaling issue, and may be helpful for you. Here is the link:

- ISSUE 18 March 2009
"Scaling and How To Avoid It" (http://www.carvebuddy.com/PDFs/CW_TipsandTricks_Newsletters/CarveWrightTips&Tricks_Mar09.pdf)

Gerald Bennett
03-06-2010, 05:24 AM
One thing you seem to be doing that is making me think to much is you seem to be giving your dimensions width X length, normally they are given length X width.

When you tell the machine to "stay under rollers" it subtracts 7" from the length of the board that you put into it so it says a 19" board is only 12" long because that is the area it has to work with and still be under the rollers all the time.

What I think you are doing is in designer you create a new project at 19" length and using the center 12" for the design, then loading a 19 inch board into the machine but the machine wants to have a 26 inch board, that is 7" longer than the designer board.

Two ways to keep it straight, in designer create a 19 X 12 project, draw a rectangle 12 X 12 and center it then keep everything inside that rectangle and load a 19 inch board or create a 12 X 12 project, draw to the edges and load a 19" long board. That will solve the length problem BUT also remember you need space at the top and bottom of the design for the rollers to have a level surface.

To have a design that is 12" wide (top to bottom as seen in designer) you need to create a project that is at least 13" wide or use rails.

The attachment shows what I mean, I made a 19 X 13 project, the useable area is only 12 X 12 allowing for the 7" the rollers need so to carve something with this size I either have to tell it to NOT stay under the rollers or load a 26" board, if I loaded a 19" board and told it to stay under rollers it would scale the project