PDA

View Full Version : My input on the cravewright machine

chipseverywhere
03-04-2010, 06:14 PM
:)I have about 1000 hours of cut time and during these times I have had about all the problems out there. With that said I would hate to do with out this machine I use it all most every day. The best fix is the ROCK CHUCK it will help solve many of the problems. Preparring the board is critical if not straight and flat it will cause you nothing but problems.
Here are some thing that I have done 1: DOOR OPEN alarm was my most annoying problem, to fix I installed a heaver duty toogle switch next to the cover door on the key side and when I open the door I snap the toogle switch you could add a lever to flip it, but I just do it by hand it now has become a habit. Sence doing this I have not had a door open alarm unless I forgot to close the switch. 2: I have replaced the screws on the Y & Z truck with hardened screws with a hex allen drive. this makes changing and adjusting the trucks much easer. 3:Flex shaft lube. I now use a DRY moly lube instead of the moly chain lube it stays where you put it and last a long time my flex shaft runs a room temp even after a six hour carve. I use Seymor Tool crib dry moly lube part# 620-1505 I got it at a auto parts store but you can order it from Seymore tool crib web site. there are other manufactures if you do a web search for dry moly lube. 4: Clean your machine I use low pressure air.after every carve. and once a week a major clean where I clean the rollers and remove the cover on the X drive gears and clean all the dust out and relube the gears I use a dry lube. I also lube the vertical guide rods and leadscrews with dry lube.Also remove the bottom and clean every month or so.
By doing this thing I now carve more and repair less.
For those of you that are thinking of buying a carver the Carvewright or Sears compucarve carve for the money there are none that will do what these cavers will do. Carvewright's software is one of the best for your $
and so far the updates have been free even though sometimes they have a bug but LHR patches these bugs as fast as they can
I hope this helps in their carrviung

geocan
03-04-2010, 06:49 PM
I have been running these machines for over 2 yrs now, put them through just about every kind of punishment you can imagine, but with proper maintenance you have a "Gem" that will create incredible masterpieces. Switch idea is a nice touch.

Digitalwoodshop
03-04-2010, 07:16 PM
I too have mastered the maintenance of the machines and have hundreds of carving hours between the 4 machines.

I like that switch fix too... I think a simple Radio Shack Magnetic Reed Switch like used for a Door Alarm would be good for the left switch.

No dust problems and since it is magnetic.... A Reed Switch and a Magnet... It would work.

Don't use one for the Cut Motor Switch... It does not handle high current.

AL

TIMCOSBY
03-05-2010, 05:52 AM
everytime i see people using 3 in 1 oil in such a fine dust area i just cringe.

Rocky
03-05-2010, 10:17 AM
:)I have about 1000 hours of cut time and during these times I have had about all the problems out there. With that said I would hate to do with out this machine I use it all most every day. The best fix is the ROCK CHUCK it will help solve many of the problems. Preparring the board is critical if not straight and flat it will cause you nothing but problems.
Here are some thing that I have done 1: DOOR OPEN alarm was my most annoying problem, to fix I installed a heaver duty toogle switch next to the cover door on the key side and when I open the door I snap the toogle switch you could add a lever to flip it, but I just do it by hand it now has become a habit. Sence doing this I have not had a door open alarm unless I forgot to close the switch. 2: I have replaced the screws on the Y & Z truck with hardened screws with a hex allen drive. this makes changing and adjusting the trucks much easer. 3:Flex shaft lube. I now use a DRY moly lube instead of the moly chain lube it stays where you put it and last a long time my flex shaft runs a room temp even after a six hour carve. I use Seymor Tool crib dry moly lube part# 620-1505 I got it at a auto parts store but you can order it from Seymore tool crib web site. there are other manufactures if you do a web search for dry moly lube. 4: Clean your machine I use low pressure air.after every carve. and once a week a major clean where I clean the rollers and remove the cover on the X drive gears and clean all the dust out and relube the gears I use a dry lube. I also lube the vertical guide rods and leadscrews with dry lube.Also remove the bottom and clean every month or so.
By doing this thing I now carve more and repair less.
For those of you that are thinking of buying a carver the Carvewright or Sears compucarve carve for the money there are none that will do what these cavers will do. Carvewright's software is one of the best for your $
and so far the updates have been free even though sometimes they have a bug but LHR patches these bugs as fast as they can
I hope this helps in their carrviung

I'd appreciate knowing the specs for the X & Y screws (size, type of thread, etc.). Thanks

chipseverywhere
03-05-2010, 05:52 PM
The x-y screws are 5mmx14mm x .8thread all in metric
I could not fine allen head screws 14mm long so I used 16mm length they worked fine

liquidguitars
03-05-2010, 09:11 PM
I could not fine allen head screws 14mm long so I used 16mm length they worked fine

1000hr way to go! and thanks for the info.

Lg

Rocky
03-06-2010, 04:19 AM

Thanks, chipseverywhere!