PDA

View Full Version : What Spare Part Do You Keep on Hand?

spalted
03-04-2010, 02:37 PM
I order my machine and have been working on patterns while I wait for it to arrive.

I was thinking I should order a few spare parts to have on hand to eliminate down time, but I was not sure what to order.
I'm considering the Rock chuck, but have not ordered it yet.(I know it's not a spare part, but may eliminate the need for some)

I did order a few extra bits, thats all so far.

From what I have read here it varies, you guys have nothing, all the way up to a complete spare machine.

I envision my machine running a fair amount, not just as a hobby.

My question: Whats in your parts bin?

mtylerfl
03-04-2010, 02:47 PM
I order my machine and have been working on patterns while I wait for it to arrive.

I was thinking I should order a few spare parts to have on hand to eliminate down time, but I was not sure what to order.
I'm considering the Rock chuck, but have not ordered it yet.(I know it's not a spare part, but may eliminate the need for some)

I did order a few extra bits, thats all so far.

From what I have read here it varies, you guys have nothing, all the way up to a complete spare machine.

I envision my machine running a fair amount, not just as a hobby.

My question: Whats in your parts bin?

I have an extra cover switch (ordered one, but cleaned the old one and it's still working), an extra QC and an extra cutting and carving bit..oh, same story on an extra board sensor that I ordered but never used - I cleaned the old one and it's still working after about 2 years from when I cleaned it, so I keep the new one in a drawer.

Hexe SA
03-04-2010, 02:52 PM
1 set of sandpaper belts, 2 Board Sensors, 1 Z-motor, 1 Flex shaft, 1 cut motor, 2 spare memory cards, 1 spare card reader, 3 QC, 1 Rock, 2 ea cutting and carving bits and 5 bit holders. I also have a busted z-truck that I keep for bearings and screws. The only thing I used so far are the QC's (before the rock came out and they were still part of the warrenty), sand belts and 2 board sensors, I installed the rock on my first machine the second is holding up nicely but it is still in warrenty and when it runs out (April of this year) I'll change it to the rock.
Eva

spalted
03-04-2010, 02:53 PM
Thanks for the reply.

Thats why you keep parts on hand, so you don't need them.....right?

I guess I should also remember my machine will be under warranty, so I may want to hold off on ordering things like the board sensor.

cnsranch
03-04-2010, 03:52 PM
No spare parts here except for a couple broken cutting bits:rolleyes:

dbfletcher
03-04-2010, 03:55 PM
No spare parts here except for a couple broken cutting bits:rolleyes:

I have a whole box full of cw gremlins if anyone wants em... I'll even pay for shipping!

Doug Fletcher

andes
03-04-2010, 05:27 PM
Michael T

Could you send me instructions on how to remove and clean the cover switch; as I am having a problem with mine and need to remove and clean it to first see if I really need a new one.

Thanks

I have an extra cover switch (ordered one, but cleaned the old one and it's still working), an extra QC and an extra cutting and carving bit..oh, same story on an extra board sensor that I ordered but never used - I cleaned the old one and it's still working after about 2 years from when I cleaned it, so I keep the new one in a drawer.

TerryT
03-04-2010, 06:15 PM
I have an extra cover switch, same as Michael I cleaned the contacts and it's been working for the last year or two. I have a board sensor but haven't had to use it. Extra traction belts. Extra bits and holders. I always seem to need something on a Friday afternoon when LHR is closed. I hate having to wait three or four days to get up and running again. Besides ordering a couple of something can save shipping costs.

mtylerfl
03-04-2010, 06:19 PM
Michael T

Could you send me instructions on how to remove and clean the cover switch; as I am having a problem with mine and need to remove and clean it to first see if I really need a new one.

Thanks

Hi Andrea,

I blew some low-pressure compressed air at it, then just squirted a little WD-40 into it (towel underneath to catch drips), then pushed it in and out a bunch of times with a small screwdriver. I then blew some more compressed air at it to blow it out any possible remaining residue.

What it was doing was intermittently giving a close cover error during a carve...actually I kind of suspected that the mounting screws might have loosened or that I had a loose wire connection, but the cleaning did the trick, so I didn't go any further. It works perfectly now.

I didn't have to take it out, but I have read here on the forum that some folks have taken theirs out, opened it up, and clean the contacts with contact cleaner (from Radio Shack?).

Digitalwoodshop
03-04-2010, 07:19 PM
Did not see my favorite spare part.... Cut Motor Brushes.... Change at about 250 hours....

AL

DickB
03-05-2010, 07:08 AM
If WD-40 works for you OK, but better to use contact cleaner. No need to take the switch apart.

Replace the switch and end the problems:
http://forum.carvewright.com/showpost.php?p=119125&postcount=13

chipseverywhere
03-05-2010, 06:17 PM
I change brushes when I reached 250 hr-500hr and the checked at 700 hr althought this was only 200hr the brushes were almost worn out so I think the more hours that you have on the cut motor you need to check more often. I think this is due to the commutor that the brushes run on gets rough with time and wear

Digitalwoodshop
03-05-2010, 06:52 PM
This is new and used.....