PDA

View Full Version : What type of wood ?

barracuda48
03-04-2010, 09:07 AM
I just received my carvewright and am ready for my first project. I'm going to carve an overland shell into wooden jack arches above the windows in my house. I'm going to leave the project ends square until the carving is finished as people suggested in an earlier post.

My question now is; what type of wood would you suggest. It needs to be able to withstand the elements and I'm guessing relatively soft for carving. I'm planning on putting at least three coats of paint on it also.

Thanks in advance

Eagle Hollow
03-04-2010, 11:50 AM
I just received my carvewright and am ready for my first project. I'm going to carve an overland shell into wooden jack arches above the windows in my house. I'm going to leave the project ends square until the carving is finished as people suggested in an earlier post.

My question now is; what type of wood would you suggest. It needs to be able to withstand the elements and I'm guessing relatively soft for carving. I'm planning on putting at least three coats of paint on it also.

Thanks in advance

My choices: Cedar, redwood, white pine, fir, yellow pine...in that order

cnsranch
03-04-2010, 01:45 PM
If I were you, I'd try the pvc board Home Depot sells - it's used for door/window framing, and apparently carves well. I intend to try it for an adirondak chair this Spring.

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=14708