PDA

View Full Version : Machine won't complete carving

TVB
03-03-2010, 03:27 PM
Hi,
Newbie here that hopefully someone can help. I am trying to cut rectangles into a 2mm pvc sheet, but the machine is not cutting out full rectangles. I have the cutting path set to .079inchs (=2mm) with no tabs (since the area is so small tabs are not needed). The pvc sheet is attached to a sled, so I don't think project depth is the problem. As you can see from the picture, the machine always skips the first corner of the carving. I stop the carving after it did it on the first 5, which is why there are not more rectangles. I have attached the file and some pictures, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Tim

Digitalwoodshop
03-03-2010, 03:58 PM
My machine is this very minute cutting rectangles from 1/8 inch FRP of Fiber Re Enforced Plastic for a $1.2K Fire Tag Order.

I learned a few things trying to do this a few months ago...

OK... Sled is Good.... I am using a 1 x 12 PVC Plastic Board for my Carrier Board since I am cutting Plastic. It is used for outside Trim Boards.

I am using 1 inch double stick tape down the center of each row.

I tried today to cut the holes for Grommets but found the .3 inch circle of plastic popped out... Can't have that.... So I went back to just the tag.

Another thing I found is the problem you are having is that left over spot is actually a TAB..... Using the Cut Path it will ALWAYS add the TAB...

I drew the lines and assigned the 1/16 end mill bit I have that is similar to the 1/8 inch bit but smaller... LHR has them.... I cut my bit from a 6 inch long Rotary Engraver Bit.

I found 1. The QC was not solid enough to cut a clean line and 2. The 1/8 inch bit was TOO aggressive and caused the FRP to LIFT or just left a choppy edge......

My sheets are 12 x 24... I place a 4 inch piece of the same plastic in the front 4 inch dead spot as I use "PLACE ON END" so the 4 inches stays under the rollers. I have a Scrap on the other end too.... So the board is always under the rollers....

The Tape works for now but a MESS with the chips... I will be building a Vacuum Sled soon....

Good Luck....

Get a ROCK and a 1/16 inch Cut Path Bit...

Remember you can only cut "CAST" Plastic. The Extruded will MELT and stick to the bit.

I replace the tape every other sheet.....

AL

TVB
03-03-2010, 06:13 PM
Thanks Al,
Any idea where I could pick up some Fiber Re Enforced Plastic? My local plastic shop doesn't seen to carry it.

Digitalwoodshop
03-03-2010, 06:21 PM
They can order it..... I get my FRP from Johnson Plastic or JDS mail order. Both require a Tax ID and only sell to businesses.

That is why I suggest they order it for you. There is Unusub one sided and 2 sided used for Sublimation. Printing on the plastic with a heat press like doing a T Shirt. Cuts like butter.

Good Luck,

AL