PDA

View Full Version : BUG....Pattern Editor crashes when saving scan

fwharris
03-03-2010, 02:11 PM
Well I just found another possilbe bug.

I just loaded up a new scan and when I go to save it before doing and changes, PE crashes.

Operating with XP pro..

fwharris
03-03-2010, 10:07 PM
Also I am having problems with the blurr tool not working. If my recall is correct when you select the blurr tool you would have the option to change the brush setting. The selection does not even highlight..

Jeff_Birt
03-04-2010, 06:42 AM
Try using the 'Tool Pressure' instead...

fwharris
03-04-2010, 10:40 AM
Try using the 'Tool Pressure' instead...

I am not seeing any change by using the tool pressure. Tried everything from 0 to 100...

Has anyone else tried using PE? If so are you having the issues that I am?
or is it working just fine for you and it is just me????

WRW
03-04-2010, 02:03 PM
Just tried PE and it will not even launch. Designer crashes right away (using Windows 7). I am also experiencing designer crashing frequently when using copy paste and resizing.

fwharris
03-04-2010, 03:17 PM
Just tried PE and it will not even launch. Designer crashes right away (using Windows 7). I am also experiencing designer crashing frequently when using copy paste and resizing.

Richard,

Well it is not just me!! Thanks for posting!

RayTrek
03-04-2010, 03:23 PM
Hello
I have not had any crashes as of yet but when I opened a file this morning and used the blurring tool the blurring was extreme, I then used the back function and used pattern blur filter it worked ok, later when I wanted to use the blur tool again it was not working at all.
Have not done any scans, I did notice that there is not the PNG file option in “Save As” and needs to be saved in “export to image” and that worked fine, but the save as does not rename the MPW file to what I ask it to in PE it does in windows folder also the pattern saved as remains unnamed in PE unless I export it from the library in designer,
Just what I noticed with the little I have worked with it, Running Windows 7

FW, may not have anything to do with your crashing but when I was having that problem of crashing when I went to save I found that cleaning maybe 100 or so patterns out of my favorites MPN folder in Designer, cleared that up I was running XP at the time and 1.153
Ray

fwharris
03-04-2010, 03:44 PM
Hello
I have not had any crashes as of yet but when I opened a file this morning and used the blurring tool the blurring was extreme, I then used the back function and used pattern blur filter it worked ok, later when I wanted to use the blur tool again it was not working at all.
Have not done any scans, I did notice that there is not the PNG file option in “Save As” and needs to be saved in “export to image” and that worked fine, but the save as does not rename the MPW file to what I ask it to in PE it does in windows folder also the pattern saved as remains unnamed in PE unless I export it from the library in designer,
Just what I noticed with the little I have worked with it, Running Windows 7

FW, may not have anything to do with your crashing but when I was having that problem of crashing when I went to save I found that cleaning maybe 100 or so patterns out of my favorites MPN folder in Designer, cleared that up I was running XP at the time and 1.153
Ray

Ray,
Thanks for the info on your problems. 1.161 was suppose to have fixed the save as issue showing as unnamed when you bring the mpw back into PE.

Not sure if it is related to my problem or not but the scan I had the problem with was done with 1.153 firmware and I updated to 1.161 before downloading the scan.

I probably do need to clean up my favorites but was not having the crash issue with 1.153..

WRW
03-04-2010, 05:05 PM
Re: PE gui.exe crash
I have not tried these yet but was told by Carvewright support that it should fix my PE crashes. Thought I would post them for any others making the jump.
Hope they work.
I'll post back after following instructions myself.

Dear Sir or Ma’am,

Though we are not listed as being compatible with Windows 7, I have done some research that may assist you with your problem. The following steps should get you up and running.

1. Remove the CarveWright Designer program from your computer.

2. Click the following link www.carvewright.com/update, choose the full version for windows, select "Save", and choose the desktop icon.

3. Right-click the icon you just downloaded and choose to "Run as Administrator". If a prompt displays requesting permission to install the application, click Permit to continue the installation. If the installation succeeds, go to Step 6.

4. If the application installation fails and no installation permission prompt displayed, right-click the installer .exe file, click the Run this program as administrator option, and re-install the application. If the installation succeeds, go to Step 7.

5. If you receive any errors related to the operating system version, application registration, or file copy, right-click the installer .exe file, click Compatibility, and then choose the Windows XP SP2 compatibility mode.

6. Start the application. If the application does not start properly or displays errors, enable the Windows XP SP2 compatibility mode for the application .exe file, and then try to install it again on the operating system.

7. If the application starts successfully, run through the full suite of tests that you would typically use to test it on a computer running Windows XP. Verify your application functionality to confirm that it performs properly. If the application passes all major functionality tests, the application works.

8. If the application does not install and start successfully you will need to contact your computer manufacturer or Microsoft.

After opening the program should you have a gui.exe crash then do one or all of the following:

1. In your CarveWright Designer Software Go to Edit > Preferences and under Memory Cache settings change the number 256.

2. In your CarveWright Designer Software Go to Edit > Preferences > 3D Graphics and under Hardware Acceleration, select ‘Off’

I hope this information has been clear and helpful. Please don't hesitate to contact us if you have any further questions.

CarveWright/CompuCarve Support Team
(713) 473-6572

WRW
03-04-2010, 05:42 PM
Well tried instructions as supplied and still cannot open PE. Anyone else out there with Windows 7 that has upgraded experiencing the same problem. I had a few crashes in previous version but was able to work in PE. Now if I try to open it or download a scan program crashes immediately.

atauer
03-04-2010, 05:44 PM
Just a shot in the dark, but try moving the favorites.mpn file out of the Carvewright directory. That will make the software re-create a new one. It's possible that the favorites file may be corrupted or too large for the software to handle.

WRW
03-04-2010, 07:01 PM
atauer
I'm always up for a good shot in the dark. Unfortuately this one missed, now designer will not open at all. Instant gui.exe crash. I will try reload yet again.
Thanks for trying.

WRW
03-04-2010, 07:27 PM
atauer
Thanks again for the shot in the dark. Using your thought of removing favorites from carvewright folders, when I uninstalled I went into - Users/CarveWright and Program files (x86)/CarveWright and deleted any remaining files before reloading designer software. Now Designer and PE are both starting.
It would appear your shot in the dark didn't miss it ricocheted. Thanks for the thought.

fwharris
Well I'm able to save a scan I just completed, I am having simaler issue as you where, when I choose the blur tool it does nothing, I can change the tool size but nothing blurs but my own eyes.

Have a great night guys.

fwharris
03-04-2010, 08:13 PM
atauer
Thanks again for the shot in the dark. Using your thought of removing favorites from carvewright folders, when I uninstalled I went into - Users/CarveWright and Program files (x86)/CarveWright and deleted any remaining files before reloading designer software. Now Designer and PE are both starting.
It would appear your shot in the dark didn't miss it ricocheted. Thanks for the thought.

fwharris
Well I'm able to save a scan I just completed, I am having simaler issue as you where, when I choose the blur tool it does nothing, I can change the tool size but nothing blurs but my own eyes.

Have a great night guys.

This for a re install of 1.161?

I'm thinking of rolling back to 1.153 so I can do some scan/pattern work. I will hold off until this weekend, hoping the software gods roll out the fix on Friday!!

Jeff_Birt
03-07-2010, 12:33 PM
I've been trying out the blur tool in various ways and it seems to be working. The effect of the blur tool (not blur filter) is dependant upon four things:

1) Tool pressure
2) Brush size
3) Zoom factor of 2D view (zoomed in further = less pixels under tool)
4) The 'roughness' of the area under tool

I've attached some screen shots to show the results of my tests.

TIMCOSBY
03-07-2010, 11:27 PM
to the blur tool in the new version? in my 1.153 its greyed out when the blur tool is selected or am i not doing something right AGAIN?

fwharris
03-12-2010, 11:40 AM
Just bumping this back up....

Is there any info for the fixes for the crash problem with PE??????

Jeff_Birt
03-12-2010, 12:16 PM
The problem is that nobody else has been able to duplicate the crash your seeing. Did you upgrade (install over an older version) from 1.153 to 1.161? If so try uninstalling Designer and reinstalling from scratch. There have been a few reports here on the forum that that has fixed crashing issues.

ChrisAlb
03-12-2010, 12:24 PM
I have to admit this one has confused me for some time now. I've never had a problem with PE crashing. Running it on both XP and 7/64.

A few versions back I had issues with Designer crashing (gui.exe) all the time while working with rather involved projects.

I haven't done any like them with this newest version yet but I've had no crashes on either system so far.

fwharris
03-12-2010, 12:25 PM
The problem is that nobody else has been able to duplicate the crash your seeing. Did you upgrade (install over an older version) from 1.153 to 1.161? If so try uninstalling Designer and reinstalling from scratch. There have been a few reports here on the forum that that has fixed crashing issues.

Jeff,

Yes I did install from 1.153 to 1.161 to 1.162. I will give the uninstall and reinstall a shot and report back..

Thanks for the feedback :)

fwharris
03-12-2010, 02:31 PM
Jeff,

Yes I did install from 1.153 to 1.161 to 1.162. I will give the uninstall and reinstall a shot and report back..

Thanks for the feedback :)

Ok I did the uninstall and re install also installed 1.153 first :) and made my back up copy of that..

Installed 1.162 and loaded a scan and the save worked just fine. Also tested the blurr feature and all good. :)

Also tested the edit pattern settings and guess what CRASH! :(!

PCW
03-12-2010, 05:11 PM
Floyd,

Did you uninstall of the older version of the Designer and then do a fresh clean reinstall of 1.162? If not you may want to try that.

fwharris
03-12-2010, 05:44 PM
Floyd,

Did you uninstall of the older version of the Designer and then do a fresh clean reinstall of 1.162? If not you may want to try that.

Correct I did the uninstall with windows remove program. Then I installed 1.153, made a back up copy of 1.153, then did the software update throught the help tab in 1.153 designer window..

Is that what you are calling a fresh clean install??

PCW
03-12-2010, 06:22 PM
Floyd,

No what I was referring to is uninstall designer and don't load 1.53.

Then do the a reinstall using version 1.62 skipping any previous versions.

fwharris
03-12-2010, 06:27 PM
Floyd,

No what I was referring to is uninstall designer and don't load 1.53.

Then do the a reinstall to 1.62 version skipping any previous versions.

Will give that a shot....do you think it matters that I do use a down load manager "orbit" for down loads?

I have been having connection problems and with the manager it allows me to pick up where it stops when I loose the connection. With out it I have to start over...

PCW
03-12-2010, 06:36 PM
Floyd

I wouldn't think the download manager would corrupt the file but I guess anything is possible.

liquidguitars
03-12-2010, 07:53 PM
Also tested the edit pattern settings and guess what CRASH!

I am assuming this crash happens when saving? if so your favorites files needs to be removed for the new one to work and do not rename the master directory.

LG

fwharris
03-12-2010, 09:54 PM
I am assuming this crash happens when saving? if so your favorites files needs to be removed for the new one to work and do not rename the master directory.

LG

LG,

Nope! It crashed when I went to "edit/pattern settings". As soon as I click on "pattern settings" it get the windows splash/crash screen.

I did as Dan suggested, un installed 1.162. Checked progam file for carvewright and folder was empty. Downloaded directly from CW user login screen tab that took me to the download page.

Installed 1.162 and checked designer and all my info was good. I did go through my favorites pattern list and removed several patterns from the list.

Started up PE and loaded a mpw file (128k) and messed with several of the tools and all worked. Then I went to the edit/pattern settings and crash .

For my own sanity :rolleyes:, I started up 1.153 and in PE opened the same mpw file, went to edit/pattern settings, changed the pattern name, saved it. No crash!!! re opened the mpw and, as Jeff would say, the pattern name was what I chanaged it to..that works...

Shut down 1.153 and restart 1.162. same process same results, crash when doing the edit pattern settings..

your favorites files needs to be removed for the new one to work and do not rename the master directory.

I will try anything! Can you give me a little more specific (details) thanks!

PCW
03-12-2010, 10:07 PM
Floyd

I think what LG was referring to was C:\Users\Your Name\CarveWright\favorites

fwharris
03-12-2010, 10:26 PM
Floyd

I think what LG was referring to was C:\Users\Your Name\CarveWright\favorites

Yep, know the location. right now the file size is 106,000 KB.

Was trying to get at what LG was saying about the "do not rename the master directory". Not sure what this is. Plus I am not saving anything into the favorites list. All I am trying to do is edit the mpw file name and resave as an mpw.

Been sitting here thinking about this and if it works in 1.153 and not 1.162 would this not make you think it is a problem with 1.162?

For real, am I the only one having a problem? If so I will just go on as I have my solution by using 1.153 for any pattern work... At least Im not on fire!

Jeff_Birt
03-12-2010, 10:29 PM
Has anyone else experianced this issue in 1.161 or 1.162 with PE crashing when you launch the Pattern Settings dialog? It is hard to see a trend with only one report.

fwharris
03-12-2010, 10:33 PM
Has anyone else experianced this issue in 1.161 or 1.162 with PE crashing when you launch the Pattern Settings dialog? It is hard to see a trend with only one report.

Thanks Jeff..

PCW
03-12-2010, 10:36 PM
For real, am I the only one having a problem? If so I will just go on as I have my solution by using 1.153 for any pattern work... At least Im not on fire!

Floyd,

I feel for you. I had a bug that seem to only affect me and no one else. It was with PE using the trim filter. Every time I used the up or down toggles it would go into the GUI error. I had it for several versions of Designer and two different computer with different OS. Version 1.62 came and it went away.:mrgreen:

The only thing I can figure in my case was my software configuration.

Jeff_Birt
03-12-2010, 11:24 PM
Floyd:

When you have the Pattern Editor crash are you -
1) loading in a .ptn file or a MPW file
2) do some files seem to work and other crash?

fwharris
03-13-2010, 01:32 AM
Floyd:

When you have the Pattern Editor crash are you -
1) loading in a .ptn file or a MPW file
2) do some files seem to work and other crash?

Jeff,

I have been just working with MPW files and it seems to be any and all. I did have one try that the settings box open up, I typed in the change, hit OK, boxed closed and then the screen locked up for about 10 seconds then I got the "shutdown gui.exe."

Let me know if you need any more info..

liquidguitars
03-13-2010, 02:15 AM
Started up PE and loaded a mpw file (128k) and messed with several of the tools and all worked. Then I went to the edit/pattern settings and crash .

Floyd, could be a video buffer issue. Try to update your video drivers and drop your screen resolution to 800x600 or 1024x480 for a random test.
also turn on or off some settings in the hardware acceleration panel.. let us know the results if you would.

Lg

ChrisAlb
03-13-2010, 10:17 AM

I have tested this several times and got no crash. Running win 7/64 with 1.162 on my laptop.

I always download and save the full install but that simplly follows the upgrade path when you run it with a previous version already installed. So this was an "upgrade" installation from 1.161.

Sorry I can't seem to reproduce the crash and thus be of any help Floyd.

I'll try putting this new version on my XP system and see what happens.

fwharris
03-13-2010, 01:28 PM
Floyd, could be a video buffer issue. Try to update your video drivers and drop your screen resolution to 800x600 or 1024x480 for a random test.
also turn on or off some settings in the hardware acceleration panel.. let us know the results if you would.

Lg

Ok, I tried every screen resolution I had and all the hardware acceleration setting and still the same results. It closes PE as soon as I click on the edit pattern settings. tried it with several different mpw files and all the same..

Life goes on!

liquidguitars
03-13-2010, 01:46 PM
Drivers?

LG

fwharris
03-13-2010, 03:29 PM
Drivers?

LG

Forgot to add that and yes all up to date!!

Just saw another post under http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=14775 that reported a crash as well in PE..

All of my reported problems was with my lap top so I downloaded the update to my desk top. Operating system is XP. I was still on 1.143 or something like that. I did not remove it just installed over it. note that the MPN file is very small..

Started up designer then PE opened up a small mpw went straight to edit pattern settings and CRASH! This time though just PE closed and not designer.

Restarted and tried again and all worked just fine. I did an edit on several mpw names saved and opened and they showed good. Then did one more and CRASH!

mtylerfl
03-13-2010, 03:45 PM

Hi Jeff,

Yes, in 1.162, PE/Designer crashes when I go to Edit/Pattern Settings. I posted a report in the Beta section.

EDIT: forgot to mention...I'm running Win XP Pro

eriksen
03-13-2010, 04:05 PM
geez, i hope i'm in the right place now,, PE crashes the whole package... PE AND designer, running xp home, did a complete uninstall and reinstall, everything was running fine through 4 projects, PE, saves and so on, 5th project crash, reinstalled, crash. so no, you are not alone. tom

fwharris
03-13-2010, 04:13 PM
geez, i hope i'm in the right place now,, PE crashes the whole package... PE AND designer, running xp home, did a complete uninstall and reinstall, everything was running fine through 4 projects, PE, saves and so on, 5th project crash, reinstalled, crash. so no, you are not alone. tom

Tom,

Thanks! I was begining to feel it was something with me :mrgreen:...

fwharris
03-14-2010, 03:03 AM
Back on the lap top now.. I went into my display property settings from the advanced tab and set some things back to the default settings. Opened up a couple mpw files in PE and the first few worked ok with no crash then I got the crash after closing the pattern settings box. PE was un responsive for about 5 secondds then crashed when I tried to select a tool.

eelamb
03-29-2010, 09:34 PM
In PE when I download a scanned image from the card, and try to save it, PE crashes with GUI errors. This has happen on two different scans. I had to download them twice, before I could save the scan. Each time the PC was a fresh boot. Anyone else have this problem?

rickbull
04-20-2010, 09:06 PM
I am using the 1.162 Version of the software. I have installed it NEW after uninstalling the older version. I have tried several different screen resolutions.
I can import the scan from the card and edit it, but when I try to save, it crashed both the pattern editor and the designer software.
Has ANYONE found a solution to this problem?