PDA

View Full Version : Contacting Carvewright by email

Greybeard
09-09-2006, 08:12 AM
Probably a stupid question( just put it down to my age) but how do I get in contact by email with CW without a zip code, as I'm outside the US ?
I'm trying to make enquiries about getting a machine, but the contact page requires one, unfortunately. :(

Thanks in advance
John

BobHill
09-09-2006, 12:58 PM
Grey,

Have you tried putting in your postal code for your country? Give that a try. It may be required, but if you have identified your location otherwise, I'll bet it'll accept it.

Bob Hill
Tampa Florida

pkunk
09-09-2006, 01:45 PM
Probably a stupid question( just put it down to my age) but how do I get in contact by email with CW without a zip code, as I'm outside the US ?
I'm trying to make enquiries about getting a machine, but the contact page requires one, unfortunately. :(

Thanks in advance
John
Try an inquiry here mrawls@lhrtech.com

Greybeard
09-09-2006, 02:56 PM
Hi Bob - I tried that with my UK post code, but it didn't accept it.
Thanks pkunk - I'll give it a try.

John aka greybeard

BobHill
09-09-2006, 03:13 PM
Grey,
Try any five digit number, or even 33559 (my zip code) and see what happens.
Bob Hill
Tampa Florida

Greybeard
09-09-2006, 03:20 PM
Kind of you Bob. I'll keep that idea under my belt till Monday, as I pressume they have the weekend off, so I don't expect a reply from pkunk's idea till then.
Thanks again for the quick response.
John aka grey :D

BobHill
09-09-2006, 03:27 PM
The CarveWright people are great at corresponding, John. You'll hear from them without a doubt.

Bob

eknight
09-11-2006, 03:40 PM
If ever anyone needs to get a hold of us they can always use info@carvewright.com, this way the message will be fowarded to all of us here.

Greybeard
09-11-2006, 04:39 PM
Just had the reply from the guys at cw, and feel pretty sad. Shipping outside the US is not possible -"at the moment".
I can well understand the reason being the problems with not being able to provide the level of support that is being given to all you guys on that side of the pond.
Just reading the different threads in the forum makes it clear that you are well looked after.
:( :( :(

John

BobHill
09-11-2006, 05:29 PM
That does make sense at this time, John, but hang in there. This machine is well worth the wait. Also the more you hang out here, the more you'll learn when you do get the chance to purchase one.

Bob Hill
Tampa Florida

Greybeard
09-12-2006, 04:04 AM
Hi Bob.
Thanks for your encouragement.
In the meantime I shall endeavour to be patient and try to be useful
I've most of my graphics experience with coreldraw 8, so I've started to work on a method of generating 3d profiles using the blender tool.

I've read through all the posts and have spotted your interest in 1/48 scale.
I'm thinking of 1/12 scale work for my daughter's doll's house work - always wanted to be an architect - did you solve the problem of cutting those small windows on a curved surface for the aft of the Victory ?
Is the step-over setting in the cw software fully controllable, or do the three(?) "quality" settings override ?

I'm hesitating about downloading the trial software yet, as I don't know the possible lead time before I might get a m/c.

Regards
John

BobHill
09-12-2006, 08:00 AM
John,
My sister is a doll house enthusiast, so I'm planning on doing some stuff for her there, as well as a friend of mine sells Garden RailRoad "stuff" and he wants me to make him some original lawn pieces, such as working light houses for the garden pond and a working water wheel grist mill and a Dutch windmill (although I have to do one of these for my daughter in law (she's Dutch and at this moment doing an Dancing on Ice show in the Netherlands (with celebrities on ice theme). With a tad of pride, she was three time National ice skating champion in the Netherlands a bit ago. Since normally she lives in Las Vegas with our son Tim (he works for Blue Man Group there), she needs a windmill, of course.
I haven't done the stern yet of the Victory (that's 1/96 size, although I'd love to do one in 1/48. And I'm getting closer to being able to do the intricate carving all the time. And for that intricate carving one does need to use BEST Quality and also the Best Bit Opt as well so the bit doesn't go too deep when it would also cut into other parts of the design. I'm also experimenting with the use of much smaller bits (1/16" at least) for small stuff.
Bob

Greybeard
09-13-2006, 05:50 AM
New problem for me in acquiring a machine. Is the CW machine RoHs compatible ?

The EU rulers, in their wisdom, have decreed much tighter regulations with regard to disposal of some materials used in electronic equipment.
While one applauds sensible moves to protect our environment, this might spike my guns completely.

I'm sure the CW guys will be aware of this for the future, but for the present can anyone set my mind at rest ?

John

BobHill
09-13-2006, 08:17 AM
John,
I don't know the EU rules on that, and I'm sure the guys at LHR can tell you, but the electronics within the CW machine are pretty basic on a fairly small circuit board. the rest is just machinery and if the EU is THAT restrictive, how do they allow anything important to be put into their aircraft, ships, much less anything to do with space?
Bob Hill
Tampa Florida

cmorlier
09-13-2006, 09:55 AM
Hi John,

Unfortunately, current machines are not RoHS compatible. Since we have been targeting North America (primarily the U.S.) with the initial launch, this has not been an issue. There are no technical reasons why we couldn't be RoHS compatible, and in fact most electronics vendors are changing their components to be RoHS compatible. Our next production run will have a great number of RoHS compatible components. However, there are still a few steps to achieve RoHS compliance, and at the moment we are not scheduled to take these steps.

Greybeard
09-13-2006, 12:23 PM
Thanks Chris. :(

John

Greybeard
09-13-2006, 01:09 PM
Have I found a tiny loophole ? :wink:

The legislation ( it mainly concerms the materials used in electronic construction) came into force on 1st June 2006. Perhaps a machine sold and used before that date doesn't have to comply.

If this is so, then I think I'm in the market for a second user machine with all the original docs to prove its date of birth .
I'll have to do some more research.

Bob - that info about the electronic module is also interesting, and may open up another approach. :)

BobHill
09-13-2006, 04:46 PM
I do believe that you are right with it comes to buying a second hand machine, or do they have rules against that also. As you might be able to tell, I'm not a fan of the EU, and I believe that any country that gives up it's sovernty for the "good of all" is digging themselves into a very big hole. But that's another subject.
I believe that Chris and the guys at LHR (CarveWright) are really saying that at this time foreign sales is impractical because of the difficulty in supplying company support, which with a new product like this sometimes gets a lot of attention. Originally they weren't even going to sell outside of the Texas area and I've even driven mine from Florida to Texas for one problem (but I also wanted to get some hands on learning experience which those guys very obligingly gave me).
Bob

Greybeard
09-14-2006, 02:49 AM
Yes, the difficulty with physical support in this present situation could be a problem, but with my background, as I explained to CW, I was prepared to take on that risk.
(I'll add my url to my profile so you can see where I'm coming from.)

I had, fleetingly, even considered what the cost might be of coming over and collecting one :roll: but sense prevailed !
It was coming across this RoHs problem that appeared to shut the lid tight, but I'm still hopeful. It will give me something to concentrate on till CW do start shipping out :wink:

John

BobHill
09-14-2006, 03:19 AM
I see where there are many exceptions to the RoHS rule, at least for those things that someone wants to make available, but it's the "little" guy who has to take it on the chin for the most part. But "used" machines? That might be an exception also. That may be a bit hard to find, but if there are any owners that might like to sell, this is the place to find them.
Bob