PDA

View Full Version : Question about using a sled

scoobie_6
03-03-2010, 10:46 AM
I have a Question about using a sled,if i want to carve a small board like 3 inches wide do i set the board with in designer to the with of the board or the sled. every time i try to set up a new project in designer it tells me the mininum size is 6 inches high

cnsranch
03-03-2010, 10:51 AM
This thread may answer your question re the depth issue:

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=14635

If your real board is the same size as your virtual board, and you center the board on your sled, just tell the machine to center the project on the board - it will measure the sled's dimensions, and assume you're carving directly on that (when, of course, you have your board in the center).

That help?

scoobie_6
03-03-2010, 10:58 AM
ok thank you

TIMCOSBY
03-03-2010, 11:28 PM
of the board not the width.

liquidguitars
03-04-2010, 12:58 AM
I make Designer the same as the sled 98% of the time. :p

More info:
http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=14648

LG

CarverJerry
03-04-2010, 06:29 AM
LG, does it really make a difference which way it is done? I'm not trying to be a smart as$, I just need to know if there is a real difference and if so what it is. I use a sled most of the time, unless it is longer than 24",my jaws of the sled are exactly 3.5 (7" total) and I say no to stay under rollers, and center on board. I also tell design the size of my stock I'm using, does not include the 7" jaws. I have different jaws for different thickness of stock being used. Can you explain before I run into problems. Thanks CJ

will george
03-04-2010, 07:53 AM
I make Designer the same as the sled 98% of the time. :p

More info:
http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=14648

LG

Sir, thanks for the post/link.

Do you use 'Stay Under Rollers' Yes or No?

Thanks in advance for a reply.

cnsranch
03-04-2010, 08:57 AM

Remember that LG is light years ahead of most of us.

I believe he tells it NOT to stay under the rollers, because he knows it will.

He and I have had this debate before - he makes his virtual board the same size as his sled -but - he does not have any part of his carve within 3.5" of each end of his design (If I remember correctly, he uses 4").

His way tends to confuse me because I prefer to "see" what the project is going to look like, dimension-wise, in Designer. The way around that, if you go LG's way, is to draw a rectangle in Designer that's the size of the board your going to use - it helps if you need to "see" it like I do.

Kenm810
03-04-2010, 09:58 AM
That all Sounds Good to me. :cool:

liquidguitars
03-04-2010, 10:17 AM
Ken looks good, I start off just like that so if i have a finished part thats 12" long i add a extra 10" to designer. 2ea. 4" tails and a extra 2" for the wood handing " screws" for a 24" long finished sled..

Hi Will,

I tell the CW 02 no "stay under the rollers?" and not to use the center option. I use, 01 " keep original size" 03 "place on corner" "cut to size?" no.

The setup here is for running parts that i need to make a lot of, so repeatability is important to the project success.

LG

liquidguitars
03-04-2010, 10:28 AM
LG, does it really make a difference which way it is done? I'm not trying to be a smart as$, I just need to know if there is a real difference and if so what it is. I use a sled most of the time, unless it is longer than 24",my jaws of the sled are exactly 3.5 (7" total) and I say no to stay under rollers, and center on board. I also tell design the size of my stock I'm using, does not include the 7" jaws. I have different jaws for different thickness of stock being used. Can you explain before I run into problems. Thanks CJ

Hi CJ,

If it works for you fine but after building a sh** load of sleds I like to keep my designs 1:1 give it a try when you can..

LG

fwharris
03-04-2010, 10:53 AM
LG,

Can you explain the advantage/difference in the "place on corner" vs "center on board"?

I recall you saying something about this a while back and that the corner start was better...

liquidguitars
03-04-2010, 11:36 AM
LG,

Can you explain the advantage/difference in the "place on corner" vs "center on board"?

I recall you saying something about this a while back and that the corner start was better...

Hi Floyd,

In drafting school and woodshop we where taught to pull our measurements from one point in this case the sleds tail, making one less calculation for the computer to use I think. Center is fine 2 as long as it's repeatable.

LG

fwharris
03-04-2010, 11:48 AM
Hi Jerry,

In drafting school and woodshop we where taught to pull our measurements from one point in this case the sleds tail, making one less calculation for the computer to use I think. Center is fine 2 as long as it's repeatable.

LG

That makes sense!! Instead of using 2 measures, length/width, it just finds the corner as the reference/start point..

Thanks,,,"not Jerry" :p

liquidguitars
03-04-2010, 11:53 AM
Floyd Whoops! It's been over a year and i still messing up on posting our friends names.. :roll:

LG

DocWheeler
03-04-2010, 01:18 PM

Jerry,

I'll give you a vote of confidence.
What you described is exactly what I do when using either a sled or just rails (or a "frame"). I find a lot simpler and "cleaner" in designer.

liquidguitars
03-04-2010, 01:33 PM
Jerry,

I'll give you a vote of confidence.
What you described is exactly what I do when using either a sled or just rails (or a "frame"). I find a lot simpler and "cleaner" in designer.

Doc,
I guess one of down sides to your approach " if i understand correctly" is not being able to see where your putting screws and center marks, that's a big deal to me just from a safety point alone.

But my system is for running the same guitar part like a neck over and over that needs accurate spot on indexing of complex 2 sided 3D shapes..

LG

fwharris
03-04-2010, 01:56 PM
Floyd Whoops! It's been over a year and i still messing up on posting our friends names.. :roll:

LG

It was good for a laugh!! For me anyway!!!:)

cnsranch
03-04-2010, 02:51 PM
It was good for a laugh!!

Now wait a minute - what's wrong with being confused with some genius named Jerry:mrgreen:

fwharris
03-04-2010, 03:15 PM
Now wait a minute - what's wrong with being confused with some genius named Jerry:mrgreen:

Nothing wrong at all! :mrgreen: It even goes with my Air Force tag of Harry!!

My laugh was because he actually posted the same response twice with the wrong name... he did remove one of the responses though!! :o

cnsranch
03-04-2010, 03:28 PM
It even goes with my Air Force tag of Harry!!

My family never has been very creative - I swear to you, my name's Jerry, my only brother, Gary, my Dad's was Harry, an Aunt named Mary, a cousin named Larry, another named Terry...

Oh, wait - my Mom's Esther - never mind.

liquidguitars
03-04-2010, 03:45 PM
Well my spell checker for some reason turns MT's handle "mtylerfl "into "Tylenol".. :)

LG

CarverJerry
03-05-2010, 09:12 AM
Ok, I think I've got it now. All I have to do is "jerry rig it" and it will work :mrgreen: I think I'll do a little experminting and try a couple of ways that have been suggested, but being an old dog some times it hard to teach us new tricks. Kinda like.. if it's not broken, don't fix it.... thanks guys

TIMCOSBY
03-06-2010, 04:13 AM
want it to work the way WE want it to work too. i like the JERRY rig it thing think i may try it.

alan.galbraith
03-09-2010, 09:47 AM
How do you secure your material to the sled, such as a 3" X 3" X .5" board?

cnsranch
03-09-2010, 09:58 AM
I use a few drops of hot glue on the back of my board, and lots of masking tape - Al Who gets a cut when 3M's stock goes up:rolleyes:

DocWheeler
03-09-2010, 10:07 AM
As Jerry said or with screws. Recess screws in the top (out of the carving area), recessed screw from the bottom (too short to be carved), or screws through the sides of rails.
Or, you could do this (http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?p=106505&highlight=slot#post106505).

AskBud
03-09-2010, 10:11 AM
How do you secure your material to the sled, such as a 3" X 3" X .5" board?
Here is a PDF on a Multi Use Sled.
AskBud
http://www2.wcoil.com/~nharbison/CW-Multi-Use%20Sled.pdf

liquidguitars
03-09-2010, 10:23 AM
I use drywall screws from the top surface.

http://liquidguitars.com/assets/images/ViolinTailpeiceSTLR001.jpg

LG

liquidguitars
03-09-2010, 10:31 AM
I use a few drops of hot glue on the back of my board, and lots of masking tape - Al Who gets a cut when 3M's stock goes up:rolleyes:

Jerry,
I noticed you have a lot of tape on the top of your sled just wondering why?
LG

BBrooks
03-09-2010, 10:32 AM
Jerry,
LG

Because Al nags the hell out of us to use masking tape. :)

cnsranch
03-09-2010, 10:36 AM
Jerry,
LG

To tell you the truth, I was concerned about the irregular shape of the board I was carving on - it was easier for me to cover all open areas between the board and sled than to worry about measuring errors.

Overkill, I know, but small price for my piece of mind:rolleyes:

liquidguitars
03-09-2010, 10:37 AM
Because Al nags the hell out of us to use masking tape. :)

But on the bottom for the AUX not the top of the sled :mrgreen:

LG

liquidguitars
03-09-2010, 10:43 AM
Just a heads up you do not need tape on the top if you load the sled offset. Save some $$$ and time..

LG

alan.galbraith
03-09-2010, 11:38 AM
It kind of scares me to have metal that close to the bit. Can you use double sided tape to hold it in place (under the piece), and have a tight fit on the sled?

liquidguitars
03-09-2010, 12:28 PM
If Designer is the same size as your sled you can avoid hitting any screws buy laying out the correct locations, however I recommend brass screws for all holding just in case you have a measuring error but normally you be spot on.
2 sided cloth tape is OK, but screws are faster.

LG

BBrooks
03-10-2010, 03:47 PM
But on the bottom for the AUX not the top of the sled :mrgreen:

LG

Well, Al get royalties and has stock in 3M. :)

Digitalwoodshop
03-10-2010, 07:07 PM
Thank You Everyone for using Masking Tape.... The Subliminal NAG is working.... Don't you just love Technology.....

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::roll:

AL

liquidguitars
03-10-2010, 07:15 PM
Al,

I know you make a ton of $$ each time a roll of tape hits the street but i realy think you should let them know it just for the bottom strip of the board not for the top board sensor .. ;) :mrgreen:

LG

Digitalwoodshop
03-10-2010, 08:32 PM
Al,

I know you make a ton of $$ each time a roll of tape hits the street but i really think you should let them know it just for the bottom strip of the board not for the top board sensor .. ;) :mrgreen:

LG

Sheeeeeeesh...... Don't say that... There is a 50 % increase in usage.... Snicker....

But seriously.... The only time I use it on the top is for a dark board or a void that messes with the board width measurement...

I do use it on the top when I splice boards together.

A little off topic but my CNC Buddy Guy Mathews is having fun with the Fiddles..... See post on Sawmill Creek. His multi head CNC...

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=134745

AL

liquidguitars
03-11-2010, 12:33 AM
I took a look at the violin not bad and looking at the wood next to the CNC all maple..

LG