PDA

View Full Version : X-axis problems?

mister_zed
03-01-2010, 06:20 PM
Hi, everybody!

Some time ago I read a post about innacurate drilling and all of a sudden it seems like I have a related problem. I tried a very simple mpc, just experimenting with some features to see how things could be carved. And I was prepared for a failure, but what happened seems to me like a nightmare.

Yesterday I upgraded to version 1.161 of the software... and today I went on carving.

The thing that I was carving was supposed to be square, it came out rectangular. The inner square was supposed to be 4.08"x4.08". On the Y-axis it came out 4.05 which for my purposes is quite OK. On the X axis I got only 3.50" instead of 4.05 (see picture 1). Furthermore, the X axis seem to move gradually while cutting along the Y axis, which gives me a slightly "romboid" figure (see picture 2).

Furthermore the ogee bit cut shallower on the Y axis than the X-axis (see picture 3).

I did the cut at DRAFT quality which should - of course - affect the carving quality (not noticeable here) but in my opinion it should not affect the square shape of the carving, nor the "drift" of the piece along X axis or the depth of the carving.

So now my questions are:
- the "rectangular square": is it a problem of recalibration of the belts?
- the "drift" of X-axis: how do I troubleshoot that? The belts seem to sit rather tight, the X-axis gears are new and I did a carving before without that "drift" problem...
- the different depth of carving: there is supposed to be a sensor on the Z-axis. How do I troubleshoot that?

On the other hand: I get the problems all of a sudden on all axis. Somehow I do not want to believe all of them could have gone whacko at the same time. Might it be the 1.161 software? Just want to know what you think about this.

c6craig
03-01-2010, 07:13 PM
Were you using the slide rail guide on the right of your board? It almost looks like it wasnt snug enough and the whole board shifted. Is this a one time thing or are you getting this on multiple carves?

I assume the board was not cupped, twisted, bowed, etc...

Craig

mister_zed
03-01-2010, 07:21 PM
Yes, I used the guide on the right side. And as you said it, a shifting board might have caused all of those problems.

Anyway, I am in the process of retrying the carve, this time in normal quality. I will report tomorrow the results.

Kenm810
03-01-2010, 07:28 PM
Just a thought,
But you might also want to check your machines roller pressure,
it should be around 85 lbs ---- to low or to high can cause some problems

c6craig
03-01-2010, 07:31 PM
Good luck, I hope it was a one-off due to a bad board...

Let us know how you make out...

Craig

mister_zed
03-04-2010, 04:20 PM
Hi, everybody!

Thanks fr your advice... and yes, I think it might be my own fault: I have probably put in the board in such a way that it could slip, giving the uneven cuts.

I have since retried the same pattern and got acceptable results, although I did it in draft quality only.